View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

3 11.11%
  • ★★★★

5 18.52%
  • ★★★

2 7.41%
  • ★★

7 25.93%
  • 10 37.04%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #48 - Spoilers & Discussion

If you're part of the 2% of Wonder Woman fans who enjoy her twin brother Jason, then you'll love this issue. Everyone else will be as irritated and/or frustrated as I am that she only appears on the last page (and I guess the first if you count her being pulled away by the Star Sapphires).

The story is pretty brief - Jason fights some of the Dark Gods who then teleport away leaving only King Best in his monolith form. Mob God or whatever (ugh; as I said in the preview thread, these Dark Gods have some of the worst names in comic book history) is causing riots and driving people mad. Supergirl shows up to help Jason, followed by the Justice League (sans Superman for whatever reason; but it is the newest incarnation of the team which I guess is neat). They all help Jason briefly but then disappear (I *think* King Best teleported them away? I read it sort of in a rush this morning) leaving Jason to confront King Best himself. However, just in the nick of time, Diana appears and tells him that she will help him, as the entire issue Jason has all the power of the gods in his armor but laments about how he's not worthy/skilled/good.

So... yeah. Frustrating issue. Is this run over yet?

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Probably the worst issue of Robinson's run.

This is why I question why make Jason if they are still using him has I will never been good like my sister. I don’t mind Jason but if he is going to be written like this what’s the point

Blergh. Not looking forward to reading this tonight and may need to pour a glass of Cabernet to ease my pain.

Jason Man, the star of the WW comic, has never looked more superheroic, standing beside his new JL colleagues. The uniform has never looked better, in spite of the Bat-belt and noodle-thing, wrapping around his chest and shoulders.

Can't WAIT for the action figure!
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Jason is just getting downright ridiculous.

The Wisdom of Athena let's him instantly know someone's name, intentions and plans?

Ultra-Jason's powers get sillier the longer he's around, and having yet *another* all-Jason all-the-time issue was too much. If I didn't know Robinson was through, soon, I'd drop the book.

I rarely use this term, but he's coming across as a major Gary Stu - he can fly faster than Diana and save all of the people, he can use his own natural powers to counter one of the gods, he has strength just a shade under Wonder Woman's, and armor that seems to protect him from just about anything. He's the ultimate high powered swiss-army knife, but unlike Ultraboy, he has 'default' abilities (flight, strength, defenses/armor, wind/water powers) that mean all the god's abilities are just a plot-convenient smorgasboard of abilities. So far I think we've only seen speed and wisdom? There's still another 9 gods in the pantheon (assuming the armor doesn't have additional Zeus powers) and that's assuming they're limited to the major pantheon and not the minor gods.

And if that's not enough, let's add a powerful magic weapon that can appear in his hand at any time...

Really? How many more powers are they going to pile on this kid?

Its getting bad. Disappointing, I know lots of people didn't like the idea from the moment Johns created it, but even for those that did I think the idea is unfortunately being poisoned. What he needed after the past few arcs was a lighter hand. Not doubling down. Yes the fact he feels, rightfully, that he hasn't earned any of this is nice from a POV that at least he's being kinda humble now, but it still doesn't change the fact he's got all this OP stuff in the first place.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-13-2018 at 04:45 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Jason is just getting downright ridiculous.

The Wisdom of Athena let's him instantly know someone's name, intentions and plans?

Ultra-Jason's powers get sillier the longer he's around, and having yet *another* all-Jason all-the-time issue was too much. If I didn't know Robinson was through, soon, I'd drop the book.

I rarely use this term, but he's coming across as a major Gary Stu - he can fly faster than Diana and save all of the people, he can use his own natural powers to counter one of the gods, he has strength just a shade under Wonder Woman's, and armor that seems to protect him from just about anything. He's the ultimate high powered swiss-army knife, but unlike Ultraboy, he has 'default' abilities (flight, strength, defenses/armor, wind/water powers) that mean all the god's abilities are just a plot-convenient smorgasboard of abilities. So far I think we've only seen speed and wisdom? There's still another 9 gods in the pantheon (assuming the armor doesn't have additional Zeus powers) and that's assuming they're limited to the major pantheon and not the minor gods.

And if that's not enough, let's add a powerful magic weapon that can appear in his hand at any time...

Really? How many more powers are they going to pile on this kid?
    I look at this issue, and I imagine how it might have read, if Jason was returning to the comic, after having exited or disappeared, way back in WW #36. I would sincerely be cheering him on, instead of wondering why he's still in the comic - why a male, proxy WW is trading thunderbolts with space gods, so soon after the first WW film wowed us, in 2017. If Jason were charging back into the comic to fight at Diana's side, after disappearing, right after WW #38 (Zeus's alleged death), I might be unapologetically cheering him on, ..instead of wondering how great this issue might have been if Donna Troy had been at the center of the action.

Wow, what a comeback that would have been, watching Donna challenge the celestial, who'd just taken down the Justice League. That would have felt, some how...right?

This should have been Jason's big moment. I think that's what James was trying to accomplish here - the pretext justification for Jason action figures and Jason JL membership that seems so inevitable. It wasn't Jason's big moment, however, ..because the title of the comic is still Wonder Woman, and Jason should be an infrequently recurring, back-up, superhero, by now - a lieutenant, like Huntress and Steel, ..and no more or less, than that. Except for the noodle-armor, he looked FABULOUS; somehow, it sill didn't feel like his big moment, ..and I think it should have.

#48 just felt off, somehow. Like...what's wrong with this picture?

Jason's sorta' TV ancestor, Andros of Arcturus, Wonder Woman's cool, silvery, male, cosmic enforcer friend, ..appeared in TWO episodes, and we were sold. Teaming Diana up with him, in a battle against the alien, mind-stealing Skrill, seemed right on time. Sold...fans forever! By contrast, the WW comic is over-selling the relevance of Jason. Enough Jason. If WW #48 makes a case for anything, it's that an exit for this minor character is long past due.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-13-2018 at 06:10 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I don't think Dc should have made him his brother. Rather that he does have a connection to Diana but not by blood. I mean look at Donna no connection. Why not have Jason have been a send away child?

I hope big changes are coming to D C Comics and Wonder Woman.
    I really do not like or appreciate the constant changes in writers and
    there freedom to toss everything that came before out the window.
    I stopped buying new comics over a year ago when I read
    Robinson was taking over......... it was the proverbial straw.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think Wonder Woman fans should be downright angry with how badly DC has bungled her comic.

Jason looked GREAT with the Justice League! I loved seeing him with Kara Zor-El and hope we see that pair together, again, ..and maybe, on TV.

I strongly feel he's ready to fly out there and expand the Wonder-brand in the larger DCU. Out there, he'll just be a male Storm, appreciated for his powers, which is how it should be ..and, in the hands of skilled writers, who actually like him, will likely accrue a loyal fanbase of his own. I think he looks more impressive, the farther away he gets from the WW comic and our mixed feelings about him.

I think he will probably sacrifice himself to save the DCU, first. He's noble enough to do that, even if it temporarily wipes out his own existence ..or alters his connection to Diana, as her twin brother.

I like this character. I like that the Robinson run offers enough material on him, that it will be very difficult for future WW writers, who may hate him for all of the wrong reasons, to kill him off or ignore him. Even if the WW comic ignores him, writers of other comics will pick him up and use him, and he will go on in other comics. I can't wait to see that! Furthermore, I think young, MALE DC Comics fans will like him and love that Wonder Woman has a superhuman brother, ..just as She-Ra's fans were delighted to learn of He-Man's sister. While I have no doubt, he will also appeal to young and not so young female fans, ..I think these young, male fans will be his greatest champions.

Just the same, it's time for him to move on, and WW #48, showing him beside Supergirl, Batman and the JL, establishes this, very well. Jason is ready for the larger DCU, and it's ready for him. Can't wait for the DC Direct figure!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-13-2018 at 11:31 PM.

Spectacular Member

Is it the most meaningless issue since rebirth
    Just cant believe what I have read

Incredible Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar

Maybe James Robinson should stop writing DC characters that aren't Jack Knight, which is ironic since editors feel they need his permission to actually use Jack.
    Seriously, what's happened to him? His work has been bad for a very long time. I'm just waiting him out so hard.
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

BANNED

The implication that he only writes Jack Knight well at DC is as silly. He gets the Shade well to the point nobody else writes him. He wrote a good Superman supporting cast and a great Mon-El and Guardian.

He just doesn`t seem interested in Diana. Give him a mini with Jason and more people will be happy.