View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

1 4.76%
  • ★★★★

3 14.29%
  • ★★★

4 19.05%
  • ★★

4 19.05%
  • 9 42.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #49 - Spoilers & Discussion

I have to keep telling myself it's almost over.

Wonder Woman and Jason confront King Best, who is basically interchangeable with Robinson's Darkseid from earlier in the run. Meanwhile, the other Dark Gods are committing acts of horror across the globe, many of which I found to be really tasteless in their meaningless. I mean, Karnell has China erupt into giant orgies, and throughout the issue I kept thinking of how bad I felt for younger readers reading the issue. There was no impact in the massacres that the gods did, they were merely there to show that the Dark Gods are all-powerful and yadda yadda yadda. It was really bad. I did find it interesting that Robinson chose to focus on various people affected by the gods, but it still felt like a cheap, easy way to show just how scary these bland ass gods are.

We don't even get a cool fight scene between Diana and the Savage Fire god as the cover implies. Instead, it's Jason who battles Savage Fire, and eventually becomes enslaved by the Dark Gods, leading to a final page that shows him ready to take down Diana.

So, yeah... that's about it. Wonder Woman barely does anything, there's lots of meaningless global catastrophes, and Jason becomes evil again.

BANNED

Jason turns more times than the Big Show

Always Rakzo

And another waste of an issue which is mostly focused on lackluster action and barely anything happens. Jason is the biggest disappointment though considering how hyped his creation was only to end-up as a constant loser who gets manipulated and controlled quickly.

Merino's art was... there as well. Waste of everything.

I'd give it a 1 but the Tai chi lady "stretching" was so distasteful I'm going to have to change it to 0.

I look forward to you leading the charge for us every week something Wonder publishes Nyssane! But, I wish your experience with the content was a little better for your sake.

This sounds dreadful.

::braces himself until Orlando gets here::

There is also the fundamental pointlessness of it all that this is heading for, as was also shown in the recent Avengers or in Snyder's DCEU movies: thousands of people killed as if they are nothing, and then the world instantly rebounds back with hardly any consequences, as if nothing had happened?

Geez. Really all I have to say. Its hard for me to compute that this is the same run that had me hooked in the beginning. My hope before the run was that we didn't get bad-Robinson. I genuinely felt we didn't get that when the run started. But, alas.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The ending for this arc is so painfully predictable, after reading WW #49.

With Jason being possessed by 'War' and all that rot, ..I almost don't care how the Rebirth business is resolved. Diana remarking how surprised she was that the Dark Gods drove Jason mad was completely implausible, when we all know Diana's first reaction would have been guilt that she left her twin brother, a novice superhero, to face the Dark Gods, alone. Perhaps, with the help of the Golden Lasso, Jason will struggle to reassert his personality, long enough to do something heroic, that sacrifices his life...but saves the world?

WW #49 was an awful lot to endure just to find out what all the "Brother--no-ooo!" drama was about, at the beginning of James's run.

To think, eighteen issues ago, I imagined Wonder Woman's much hyped wonder-twin, Jason, would BIONIC LEAP his way into the WW comic - an Eastwood-rugged, steak-eating, man-beating American hero, ready for action! I imagined, "I'm your brother, Doc Wonder! Now, put down that golden curling iron and lets go kick some azz!" He was going to be the Six Million Dollar Man and Marvel's Namor combined! It was supposed to be, that way, ..after waiting forty years for my favorite comic heroine to get a super-powered male companion, who wasn't Superman or Captain Marvel.

If only there was some way that Diana's Sensation Comics neighbor, Sargon the Sorcerer, could pop over and wipe out Mister Wonder's existence, sparing us all the burden of watching stumbling around, embarrassing his sister, any further! Oh that's right...Diana doesn't have an iconic city, replete with recurring characters that fans might care about and hope they don't get killed by giant rock gods. Diana doesn't even have a small 'army' of supporting regulars to worry about protecting, if the giant rock gods destroy everything. There is no monthly, in-continuity Sensation Comics, featuring Etta, young Circe, Donna Troy, Sargon, the Amazons of Paradise Island, the Golden Age Fury, Hercules and the other GREAT recurring characters from the rich history of the WW comic! All Diana has...

Is a Jason...something? He doesn't even have a last name. Who cares, if he ever gets a codename?

All that said, the art was EXCEPTIONAL. Jason's over-designed cospla-aa...I mean 'uniform', complete with mandatory New '52 Nehru collar ..never looked better!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-28-2018 at 03:45 AM. Reason: clarity
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    There is also the fundamental pointlessness of it all that this is heading for, as was also shown in the recent Avengers or in Snyder's DCEU movies: thousands of people killed as if they are nothing, and then the world instantly rebounds back with hardly any consequences, as if nothing had happened?
    Its an annoying trope, but Snyder's films are the only Superhero material to really address the consequences for such mass destruction.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

This is why is why you should never attach yourself to a new character with Diana. They mostly are a waste. One I don't hate Jason but I would rather have it be first they rewrite bonds with Donna and Cassie. One actually have Donna and Diana have a relationship and later on Cassie then introduce Jason

Well that sucked. I don’t know why I even bothered to stick around for this arc. What a waste.

This review pretty much encapsulates everyone's feeling about this dismal run. I agree with everything, especially "In none of this has Jason been interesting. Not even mildly interesting. Not even a tiny bit interesting.". It's time for this ill-conceived and completely unnecessary character to get vaporized out of existence! Even if it takes a company wide universe reboot to do it!

https://geekdad.com/2018/06/review-w...muttering/amp/

ahhh....... Hedy Lamarr

Extraordinary Member

I gave it three because in and of itself it's not completely awful.

Let's face it, ten of thousands dying in the DCU is now commonplace. Though having old people sexed to death is probably a new low. I mean, I don't think Robinson really thought that through. As in the Dark Gods powers seem to affect everyone and even if it only affected pub cent individuals...

Ugh. I feel like I need a shower just thinking about it

Edit actually based on that I would give it a two instead, if I could.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    This review pretty much encapsulates everyone's feeling about this dismal run. I agree with everything, especially "In none of this has Jason been interesting. Not even mildly interesting. Not even a tiny bit interesting.". It's time for this ill-conceived and completely unnecessary character to get vaporized out of existence! Even if it takes a company wide universe reboot to do it!

https://geekdad.com/2018/06/review-w...muttering/amp/
    Jason seems to be there to soak up every bit of dace that could otherwise be given to Diana or to the relationship she has with Steve. He's like a black hole that sucks in everything that could be interesting and gives nothing back.

He calls his spear Polly. For frak's sake, it sounds like he should be asking it if it wants a cracker.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor