View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

3 11.11%
  • ★★★★

5 18.52%
  • ★★★

2 7.41%
  • ★★

7 25.93%
  • 10 37.04%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Going solo in Elexinore, for awhile, might give Jason some much-needed grit. I think he needs some grit, and we, his fans, need the assurance that Diana's brother is his own man. Maybe, a codename, without 'Wonder' in it, could help that along, but, something tells me it won't happen.

I think Jason is here to expand the Wonder brand. Coming off the success of the 2017 WW film, nothing else makes his existence...sensible?

I'm also going to take a wild guess that he's already been named 'Wonder Man', ..and that the stylized 'W' topping the 'M' on his pteryges isn't an accident. In interviews, James said he didn't want to give us a 'male Wonder Woman'; so, it makes sense that he's gone out of his way to highlight Jason's Storm-like powers. He's made it very easy to distinguish this 'Wonder man' from Marvel's Wonder Man, ..who's basically ..a superman archetype.

Still hoping he's 'coded 'Argonaut' before WW #51! It sounds scrappy and masculine, ..and I actually like him not having 'Wonder' in his codename. Imagine how he would have been billed in the Silver Age..."As his mythical forebears once sailed the ancient, savage seas, so Jason, brother of the Amazing Amazon, sails and commands the fierce winds, ..as the ARGONAUT!" A storm-riding, male Wonder might have been my favorite superhero in the Silver Age comics we were reading, when I was a boy.

That last panel in WW #48, with him standing next to Diana, after surviving an attack on the Justice League [The JUSTICE LEAGUE!]...that just begs for a cool codename. I can't believe, after coming this far, Jason may wind up codeless, ..like Donna Troy.
    I think it will more likely likely be Wonderman... all one word, like Superman.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'll be generous and give it two stars. I didn't like the issue at all, certainly below average IMO.
    It was definitely a two star-er for me too. You are not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Going solo in Elexinore, for awhile, might give Jason some much-needed grit. I think he needs some grit, and we, his fans, need the assurance that Diana's brother is his own man. Maybe, a codename, without 'Wonder' in it, could help that along, but, something tells me it won't happen.

I think Jason is here to expand the Wonder brand. Coming off the success of the 2017 WW film, nothing else makes his existence...sensible?

I'm also going to take a wild guess that he's already been named 'Wonder Man', ..and that the stylized 'W' topping the 'M' on his pteryges isn't an accident. In interviews, James said he didn't want to give us a 'male Wonder Woman'; so, it makes sense that he's gone out of his way to highlight Jason's Storm-like powers. He's made it very easy to distinguish this 'Wonder man' from Marvel's Wonder Man, ..who's basically ..a superman archetype.

Still hoping he's 'coded 'Argonaut' before WW #51! It sounds scrappy and masculine, ..and I actually like him not having 'Wonder' in his codename. Imagine how he would have been billed in the Silver Age..."As his mythical forebears once sailed the ancient, savage seas, so Jason, brother of the Amazing Amazon, sails and commands the fierce winds, ..as the ARGONAUT!" A storm-riding, male Wonder might have been my favorite superhero in the Silver Age comics we were reading, when I was a boy.

That last panel in WW #48, with him standing next to Diana, after surviving an attack on the Justice League [The JUSTICE LEAGUE!]...that just begs for a cool codename. I can't believe, after coming this far, Jason may wind up codeless, ..like Donna Troy.
    I kind of hope he doesn't get the Wonder Man moniker, only because I'd prefer to save it for a different compelling character. I'm down with Argonaut, because I think it'll be good when Achilles Warkiller returns to the title (crosses fingers, crosses legs, and crosses eyes with that hope), so we can have a Wonder family throw down where Warkiller, Argonaut, and Olympian jump into battle together alongside Wonder Woman, Artemis, Donna Troy, Nu'Bia, and Wonder Girl and maybe a Captain Wonder and Wonder Boy someday. (Yeah, I kind of plans for them all.)

I think I've figured out how to reconcile Jason existence in the Wonderverse for myself, but it's going to take a Crisis or Zero Hour and me getting a job at DC Comics to work.

My brain keeps buzzing with an incomplete idea of making Elexinor a retreat of some kind since Heracles made it's location remote. Not sure what I want to do with that yet, but "something" is there. (I'm also going to move Elexinor to outside the city I have in mind for Diana, so it's a fairly close extension of her world.)

With Jason's spear, "Polly," I was thinking that we're getting quite the catalog of Wonder weapons these days across eras/realities too...Polly the Spear, the Lasso of Truth, the Lasso of Persuasion, the Lasso of Lightning, the Girdle of Antiope, the Gauntlet of Atlas, the Sandals or Hermes, the Sword of Hephaestus, Cassie's Silent Armor, Jason's armor, and Artemis is running around with the Bow of Ra. Quite a collection if Helena Sandsmark ever wanted to put them on display in a museum.

I just read a review of the issue that called Jason the "Scrappy Doo" of the Wonderverse and I keep chuckling at that.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I just read a review of the issue that called Jason the "Scrappy Doo" of the Wonderverse and I keep chuckling at that.

Ahahaha!!!

Jason is already mentionned in Tvtropes page "The scrappy" (the page is named after scrappy doo).

Wonder Woman: Jason, the brother of Diana introduced in James Robinson's run. Disliked from the start due to being the artifact of the New 52 era (after the past year had been spent largely erasing the N52 version of Wonder Woman from existence), his hatedom only increased when he actually debuted. Much of his hatred includes his extremely bland design that amounted to basically a male version of Diana in a shirt and pants, his only notable personality traits being that of an unlikable frat boy who trashes his own sisters house just days after finally meeting her, then complains about having to clean up, a nonsensical backstory that he keeps framing as a Dark and Troubled Past despite the only remotely bad thing being that his adopted father left him after he was old enough to take care of himself, being stupid enough to take Grail at her word, and, despite being completely uninteresting, he quickly turned into a major Spotlight-Stealing Squad who constantly applied New Powers as the Plot Demands. By the time the "Children of the Gods" arc was done, fans were clamoring for him to be killed off.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ppy/ComicBooks

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderSpace View Post
    Ahahaha!!!

Jason is already mentionned in Tvtropes page "The scrappy" (the page is named after scrappy doo).

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ppy/ComicBooks
    Wow, that was quick. I did start thinking of that trope as Children of the Gods went on, though.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post

I guess we finally have his "code name".

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    I guess we finally have his "code name".
    Scrappy Dude
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    Scrappy Dude
    LOL.

You nailed it RealWonderman.

Scrappy Dude
    DING DING DING!

We have a winner!

Maybe, the W/M design on the pteryges is just something leftover from a time, when James or one of the editors planned to call him 'Wonder Man'. It may have no significance at all, anymore, ..but certainly doesn't look like an accident.

Maybe, he'll just be Jason, from here on out. Presently, Jason is the 74th most popular boy name in America. It's been a top ten pick in the past; so, maybe, plain 'Jason' is marketable enough to leave as is. "Look it's Wonder Woman--oh, ..and Jason!"

Anyway, WW #48 has this guy solely surviving an attack on the Justice League. I think he's going to be aropund for a bit, even if he ends up sacrificing himself to save the DCU, at the end of the Rebirth and Dark Metal stuff. He'll die and pop up, later, as an action figure and member of a B-list superhero team. Codename or no codename, Jason isn't going, anywhere, ..for awhile.

Will WW #49 be the issue, where he shoves Diana from the path of some deathray, meant for him, and she cries, "Brother--no-ooo!"? That's how James kicked off his run; remember? Maybe, Diana cries out to him in #50, as Jason walks toward a marquee, with a popular Star Wars character's name on it, ..or eats too much guacamole. I think "Brother--no-ooo!" is still coming.

He feels like such a 'Gary' right now, ..even with the JL. Even after saving all of those people, falling out of the sky, in #48, he feels stapled on and a little illegitimate. I guess it's because James is playing up how unsuited to heroing, he is. Maybe, it's because, seeing him standing next to Supergirl, we can't help, but realize how late a 'Mister Wonder' is to the superhero party. I know the moment will come, when he feels like a genuine, die-cast, natural-born superhero. I continue waiting for that moment.

Still waiting. Glad he's there, though.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-22-2018 at 04:31 AM. Reason: style, clarity
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Jason is just getting downright ridiculous.

The Wisdom of Athena let's him instantly know someone's name, intentions and plans?

Ultra-Jason's powers get sillier the longer he's around, and having yet *another* all-Jason all-the-time issue was too much. If I didn't know Robinson was through, soon, I'd drop the book.

I rarely use this term, but he's coming across as a major Gary Stu - he can fly faster than Diana and save all of the people, he can use his own natural powers to counter one of the gods, he has strength just a shade under Wonder Woman's, and armor that seems to protect him from just about anything. He's the ultimate high powered swiss-army knife, but unlike Ultraboy, he has 'default' abilities (flight, strength, defenses/armor, wind/water powers) that mean all the god's abilities are just a plot-convenient smorgasboard of abilities. So far I think we've only seen speed and wisdom? There's still another 9 gods in the pantheon (assuming the armor doesn't have additional Zeus powers) and that's assuming they're limited to the major pantheon and not the minor gods.

And if that's not enough, let's add a powerful magic weapon that can appear in his hand at any time...

Really? How many more powers are they going to pile on this kid?
    His spear has a parrot name.

What more need be said.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Scrappy Dude
    LOL

Dah-da-da DA DuH-DAH!

POLLY POWER!
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor