Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36
  1. #16
    The Comixeur Mel Dyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,771

    Default

    Donna Troy is NOT an alcoholic and would never...Donna's an Amazon.

    I can accept that, after being worn down by a lifetime of battle and personal loss, ..she might eventually find herself secretly disgusted by the mortal weaknesses of her teammates. I can accept that in the context of her looking at the world through the eyes of an Amazon, who began her life as a mystically engineered, living weapon. I can even accept that she might be secretly disgusted by her own mortal weakness. If that's the narrative prescript for her becoming 'Troia', very well. I can accept that, because it makes a raggedy, ham-handed sort of...sense? It's taking dramatic license, but makes sense. It's for that same reason that her falling in love with Roy Harper makes no sense.

    And now this...alcoholism. I find it hard to accept that would be her response to all of that. Not Donna Troy.

    I also hate the new line-up, so far.
    Look alive, Kangaliers!

  2. #17
    Astonishing Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,471

    Default

    How can we call her a amazons when she has no connection to Diana anymore? They have no close relationship
    Please sign this so we can at least show DC we want Legend of Wonder Woman part 2.

    https://www.change.org/p/comic-fans-...part-2-back-on

  3. #18
    Mighty Member Dethi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    How can we call her a amazons when she has no connection to Diana anymore? They have no close relationship
    Well, technically has she is saying herself, she is nothing except a weapon so at this point... And since, DC don't want to correct what they done wrong with her.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    It's for that same reason that her falling in love with Roy Harper makes no sense.
    I don't see why her falling in love with Roy make no sense. I mean, they are long life friend and they are attracted to each other ? Why wouldn't she be in love with him ?
    Last edited by Dethi; 06-13-2018 at 11:54 PM.
    Favorite characters:
    5 DC- Roy Harper, Donna Troy, Helena Bertinelli, Dinah Laurel Lance and Big Barda
    5 Marvel- Jean Grey, Richard Rider, Natasha Romanoff, Clint Barton and Angelica Jones

    Pull List:
    X-Men Red, X-Men Blue, Old Man Hawkeye, Marvel Two-in-One, Aquaman, Mister Miracle, Mera Queen of Atlantis, The Terrifics and some more.

  4. #19
    Astonishing Member Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,120

    Default

    I don't know why I gave this issue a try. Abnett has disappointed time and time again, but here he went to new lows.
    Terrible characterizations all around, and they keep trying to remake Wolfman's run without any of the history and world building that made it great.
    I almost threw up when I saw they were rehashing yet another of his villains. Move on to something new, already. What's next? Trigon?

  5. #20
    Mighty Member Dethi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I don't know why I gave this issue a try. Abnett has disappointed time and time again, but here he went to new lows.
    Terrible characterizations all around, and they keep trying to remake Wolfman's run without any of the history and world building that made it great.
    I almost threw up when I saw they were rehashing yet another of his villains. Move on to something new, already. What's next? Trigon?
    I mean, Abnett is totally playing on nostalgy, he tried with the fab5 and failed.

    Weirdly, DC let him on the book so he does the same with the NTT (and retcon his conclusion arc of the last team to make they look like even more crap)...


    I hope ppl who are hype because there is the favs are ready to be disapointed...
    Favorite characters:
    5 DC- Roy Harper, Donna Troy, Helena Bertinelli, Dinah Laurel Lance and Big Barda
    5 Marvel- Jean Grey, Richard Rider, Natasha Romanoff, Clint Barton and Angelica Jones

    Pull List:
    X-Men Red, X-Men Blue, Old Man Hawkeye, Marvel Two-in-One, Aquaman, Mister Miracle, Mera Queen of Atlantis, The Terrifics and some more.

  6. #21
    Ultimate Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    12,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Donna Troy is NOT an alcoholic and would never...Donna's an Amazon.
    That's part of the problem - she's NOT! She's a clay construct, so discovering that, then the incident with her future self Troia, and then the Titans breaking up, it destroyed her. She's lost her sense of self, doesn't know who she is any more. That's why she turned to drink.

  7. #22
    Mighty Member RealWonderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,868

    Default

    How about we stop throwing around the word 'alcoholic.' What is demonstrated here is not alcoholism.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

  8. #23
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,423

    Default

    About the Roy thing... I'm probably a little sentimental, but I enjoyed it when some of the Titans, like Donna, had non-superhero romantic interests. Not that I'm calling for the return of Terry Long, but it made for an interesting dynamic to have some Dick/Kory relationships and Donna/Terry relationships in the expanded supporting cast of the title. Mere humans might have a different take on their super paramour than the romantic partner who jumps into battle with them.

    I'm not against some superheroes or supervillains having romances, but I think there's more to explore in the Clark/Lois dynamic in a team atmosphere than we've previously seen.

  9. #24
    Incredible Member Skedatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    609

    Default

    Not a bad first issue. I'm not exactly sure I like the whole, "Sometimes not being friends is a good thing" approach, since a lot of what I like about the Titans is the relationship angle.


    Hopefully this helps pull Donna out of her funk. Her and Gar both.

  10. #25
    Mighty Member RealWonderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    About the Roy thing... I'm probably a little sentimental, but I enjoyed it when some of the Titans, like Donna, had non-superhero romantic interests. Not that I'm calling for the return of Terry Long, but it made for an interesting dynamic to have some Dick/Kory relationships and Donna/Terry relationships in the expanded supporting cast of the title. Mere humans might have a different take on their super paramour than the romantic partner who jumps into battle with them.

    I'm not against some superheroes or supervillains having romances, but I think there's more to explore in the Clark/Lois dynamic in a team atmosphere than we've previously seen.
    Non-superhero is ok. But GODS please not the Creepy Terry.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

  11. #26
    Fantastic Member Astroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    How about we stop throwing around the word 'alcoholic.' What is demonstrated here is not alcoholism.
    THANK YOU! I said something similar on the first page. Alcoholism is a serious issue and a serious condition (as is any addiction). Getting drunk while depressed is not automatically synonymous with an addiction and shouldn't be used hyperbolically to slag a writer you don't like.

  12. #27
    Mighty Member Dethi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    About the Roy thing... I'm probably a little sentimental, but I enjoyed it when some of the Titans, like Donna, had non-superhero romantic interests. Not that I'm calling for the return of Terry Long, but it made for an interesting dynamic to have some Dick/Kory relationships and Donna/Terry relationships in the expanded supporting cast of the title. Mere humans might have a different take on their super paramour than the romantic partner who jumps into battle with them.

    I'm not against some superheroes or supervillains having romances, but I think there's more to explore in the Clark/Lois dynamic in a team atmosphere than we've previously seen.
    Well I totally with the idea of super heroes dating non super heroes.

    I disagree for Donna, I always loved when heroes who are from different "world", "families" come to be in love and permit to bring some families together. And the fact that Donna and Roy are heroes but friend since they are children before make a lot of sense to me that others.

    I always wanted for example that Lian Harper became later as a superhero a sort of mix between Roy and Donna and that was hinted at some point (sort of).

    Plus Roy isn't the same type of superhero than Donna, I mean she is at Diana/Clark level of power when Roy is more at a Ollie/Bruce level wich make already an huge difference and can still be super interesting. (it was show for example during Outsiders when Donna comes see Roy to use ppl of his team and she straight told him that she don't need him because he is only human).

    With that being said, I'm biased because Donna and Roy are my 2 fav DC characters and that I always loved them together.

    But yeah, don't bring back Terry or someone similar to him. He was crap.
    Favorite characters:
    5 DC- Roy Harper, Donna Troy, Helena Bertinelli, Dinah Laurel Lance and Big Barda
    5 Marvel- Jean Grey, Richard Rider, Natasha Romanoff, Clint Barton and Angelica Jones

    Pull List:
    X-Men Red, X-Men Blue, Old Man Hawkeye, Marvel Two-in-One, Aquaman, Mister Miracle, Mera Queen of Atlantis, The Terrifics and some more.

  13. #28
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    Non-superhero is ok. But GODS please not the Creepy Terry.
    Haha... Terry is so DIVISIVE.

    (I was never a fan of him particularly, but liked the idea.)

    Donna dating is something I’d love to read. (Just not the current Donna.)

  14. #29
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dethi View Post
    Well I totally with the idea of super heroes dating non super heroes.

    I disagree for Donna, I always loved when heroes who are from different "world", "families" come to be in love and permit to bring some families together. And the fact that Donna and Roy are heroes but friend since they are children before make a lot of sense to me that others.

    I always wanted for example that Lian Harper became later as a superhero a sort of mix between Roy and Donna and that was hinted at some point (sort of).

    Plus Roy isn't the same type of superhero than Donna, I mean she is at Diana/Clark level of power when Roy is more at a Ollie/Bruce level wich make already an huge difference and can still be super interesting. (it was show for example during Outsiders when Donna comes see Roy to use ppl of his team and she straight told him that she don't need him because he is only human).

    With that being said, I'm biased because Donna and Roy are my 2 fav DC characters and that I always loved them together.

    But yeah, don't bring back Terry or someone similar to him. He was crap.
    I completely understand, especially if they’re your two fave characters - I hope you’re enjoying it!

    I admit I haven’t kept up with Titans, because this version of Donna is so not my Donna.

    Donna at one time was just an example of teams not being so insular and having expanded supporting casts and hints of an outside life from superheroing, and all that entails. (e.g. Donna as a photographer) Just one example of how their worlds were a little broader at one time.

    (Also for the record, I was fan of the tragic and destructive romance between Arsenal and Cheshire once upon a time.)

    (Also, also for the record, I don’t want Terry back.)

  15. #30
    Astonishing Member Jackalope89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    2,215

    Default

    The only positive thing about this issue was Steel.

    Donna and Roy, in the last time they were shown, had finally admitted their affections for one another and were getting together. Now, out of nowhere, its "impossible" (for hamfisted reasons most likely). That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •