Page 92 of 325 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102142192 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 4870

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I'm a fan of the O5 but I doubt they would start there - unless the story is the film version of Second Genesis, and even then most of the O5 would be cameo level. But, I have no idea what they will do or how they will do it. I just hope they don't try to use the Ultimate Universe versions with Stupidclops, Evil Jean, and Dishonorable Wolverine....because they all sucked.
    Using the Ultimate X-Men as a template would be stupid because the Ultimate X-Men run was inspired from the Fox-Men to begin with. Just use Claremont's run. It's not like Fox did. Giant Sized makes the most sense. It's how Marvel rebooted the X-Men line after a lackluster start in the comics. Why not do that for the movies too? Plus its global cast(we really need a better Chinese mutant... Jubes and Xorn just really don't cut it) aligns better with modern movie demographics. Maybe use the Lady Mandarin Psylocke reworked as Guanyin, and use Betsy Braddock in the Captain Britain line instead?
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I like the idea of Cyclops, Storm, Colossus, Thunderbird, Banshee, Nightcrawler, Sunfire, and Wolverine. It feels like a suitably "global" take on the team. And I'd definitely take a female Sunfire in place of Shiro just to balance the team a bit more. We've seen some of these characters before but not all have been done well (looking at you, Banshee). I'd also be happy with substitutions on the cast such as Iceman, Shadowcat, Rogue, or Polaris. I'm also really big on the idea of Dazzler (Lily James would be perfect) because she's just interesting. There's a wealth of villains that could be used on a smaller scale: I always liked the insidiousness of Mister Sinister working in the background to understand the mutant gene.

The big question is: why haven't there be mutants before now? Obviously, the easier answer is that there have been but we haven't met them until now. However, I kind of like the idea of the reverse of the Snap activating a latent gene in humanity, an evolutionary defence system. Half of the cosmos was eradicated, so that's a lot of people that could become mutants. Even then, an active gene would make it inheritable and they could still use Apocalypse later since it was dormant so it had to appear at some point. That said, I think whatever they're dealing with in the Uncanny X-Men series (which will apparently change all the X-Men have known, and I think their genetic origin) will be used to inspire their introduction into the series.

I don't think the Avengers are above reprimand in the MCU, that much is clear. However, I always found it ironic that Scarlet Witch faced more scrutiny than most (and she's canonically a mutant in the comics, depending on the writer). I think the Human vs Mutant divide needs to remain and be a strong presence, even if they aren't the direct villain.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Using the Ultimate X-Men as a template would be stupid because the Ultimate X-Men run was inspired from the Fox-Men to begin with. Just use Claremont's run. It's not like Fox did. Giant Sized makes the most sense. It's how Marvel rebooted the X-Men line after a lackluster start in the comics. Why not do that for the movies too? Plus its global cast(we really need a better Chinese mutant... Jubes and Xorn just really don't cut it) aligns better with modern movie demographics. Maybe use the Lady Mandarin Psylocke reworked as Guanyin, and use Betsy Braddock in the Captain Britain line instead?
    If in the MCU they decide to keep Betsy caucasian and telepathic and Kwannon a telekinetic-weapon user that could work for me. Do you suggest Guanyin because you're trying to appeal to the Chinese market?

I think Jubilee is a great Chinese-American character. She needs someone who can handle her well to really show how useful she can be. Her powers can be explored more than just a sparkler.

But obviously I'm not opposed to some Psylocke

Also, I would want to keep Shiro, not a lot of Male Asian X-Men. Plenty of other Asian female mutants to choose from. If you want to do Giant Size, but want more female/male balance, just replace Banshee with Siryn.
    Last edited by PsionicHero; 09-21-2018 at 08:42 AM.
    Psylocke Captain Britain Rictor Dust Moonstar Hellion

Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    Also, I would want to keep Shiro, not a lot of Male Asian X-Men. Plenty of other Asian female mutants to choose from. If you want to do Giant Size, but want more female/male balance, just replace Banshee with Siryn.
    That's true. I'd be happy for Banshee to be replaced with Siryn. I'd just hope they'd keep them Irish, since First Class made Banshee American, and we have hardly any representation in Marvel comics as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    If in the MCU they decide to keep Betsy caucasian and telepathic and Kwannon a telekinetic-weapon user that could work for me. Do you suggest Guanyin because you're trying to appeal to the Chinese market?

I think Jubilee is a great Chinese-American character. She needs someone who can handle her well to really show how useful she can be. Her powers can be explored more than just a sparkler.

But obviously I'm not opposed to some Psylocke

Yes. Chinese market. I think a Guanyin/Kwannon is more interesting than Jubilee(even at her best, she is still highly Americanized). I also think a male Chinese mutant would be a great idea too, but we don't really have one in the canon(Xorn is a clusterfuck, but I guess he could be reworked sufficiently, but that mask has to go for the Chinese market to really connect to him). Sunfire(male or female, I guess) is great and underutilized, but Chinese people aren't just going to jump for a Japanese character(maybe even the opposite reaction given their history) necessarily. Red Lotus is another launch point, I suppose, but he doesn't have any powers or real stories, so that's not a great option either.

I think Siryn/Banshee flip would be fine too, but I would also keep at least Polaris, if not also Jean, on the captured O5 side, so it wouldn't be horrible to keep Sean in that place if we want to(Storm and Polaris will be the powerhouses of the movie, ultimately #girlpower). College aged bad boy Sean would be a fun character onscreen.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

X-Men: Apocalypse already used elements of Giant-size so it would be a pretty good reason not to. Example: Nightcrawler’s reintroduction mirrors his comic introduction. They just replace Xavier saving him with Mystique.

Another team formation and rescue mission would feel repetitive.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 09-21-2018 at 09:12 AM.

My biggest issue with bringing international characters to the screen is how little thought they're often given in terms of characterisation. Giant-Size X-Men fell into a lot of tropes in their introduction. There's nothing inherently wrong with that but the world has changed and I would hope there was some conversation with people actually from said countries, even if they cast Americans. American writers, or any nationality of writer, is completely capable of writing these characters if they do the research.

I can only say, as an Irishman, that a character such as Banshee (or Siryn) would need updated. Even if he's in his thirties (I'm twenty-seven), he wouldn't have a major connection to the IRA. The Troubles officially ended in 1998, so he wouldn't feel that connection. Particularly if he's college aged. His girlfriend/wife Maeve could've died in a bombing if he was older but even those are few and far between at this point. Anglo-Irish tensions still remain, but it wouldn't be the core concept of the character anymore. Particularly from a county like Mayo, even if he didn't live in the coastal Cassidy Keep.

I'd love to see more internationalism in the movies. I'd just like to see it make sense and stay updated.

I didn't mean a template for characters personalities but for a lineup the Ultimates Lineup was more an inspiration for Avengers than 616 but the characters personalities were based off 616 not the Ultimate books with Traitor Natasha, Does this stand for France Cap, I'm so Horny Hulk, or Environmentalist Thor to name some. Ultimates was cool when released but it is so cringy 15 years later.

Obviously they could be updated a bit. 1975 was a long time ago.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    What's your preference for the X-Men's eventual introduction into the MCU? Would people like it to begin with the original five?

I'm simply hoping it's not another rehash of Magneto every movie.
    Unprecedented, interconnected 3 films in one year: 07/Sentinels (Mutants vs. humanity); Wolverine/Weapon X (Mutants used by humanity); ANAD7/Krakoa&Proteus amalgam (Mutants vs. Mutant)

Then: MiX/Brotherhood (Mutant domination - Mags+ comes for his progeny, Rogue intro & conversion); Wolverine/Sabretooth (2 sides of the same Mutant coin); MiX/HFC (Mutant infiltration, manipulation, and control - watch the world burn, intros of Kitty & Emma Frost+)

Then (all embroiling): MiX/PhoeniX Saga (Mutant power potential - intros of Psylocke & Gambit, as reverse double agents); Wolverine/OML (Mutant dystopian future - intros of Cable & Bishop, 1st mention of En Sabah Nur); MiX/Dark PhoeniX Saga (Mutant power corruption/consumption - intro of Dazzler = limited Mutant acceptance/celebrity, as contrast)

Then (all embroiling): MiX/Mutant Massacre (harvesting/eradicating their own - intros of Jubilee & Sinister); Magneto/Genosha (Mutant ascension & rule, through war); MiX...
    Come the Apocalypse... Inferno/New Mutants

Mulling this over for a while, but randomly presented loosely & off the cuff, working off recollection alone & as theme-based. Feel free to tweak, to make closer to & better reflect comics canon/continuity, and/or just more harmonious in general.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 09-21-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I didn't mean a template for characters personalities but for a lineup the Ultimates Lineup was more an inspiration for Avengers than 616 but the characters personalities were based off 616 not the Ultimate books with Traitor Natasha, Does this stand for France Cap, I'm so Horny Hulk, or Environmentalist Thor to name some.
    Honestly, I would have liked if they had leaned more into The Ultimates than they did(especially with the Chituari/Skrulls involvement in WW2, and eco-Thor(who they didn't believe was a god). The Ultimates 1 and 2 are the best Avengers stories I've ever read, to this day(granted, I haven't read many Avengers stories, but still). Anyways, the Ultimate X-Men lineup isn't too far off from what we've seen already in the Fox-Men films. Giant Sized would spice it up a little more. Though I guess you could use the exact same lineup from the Fox-Men films and still have a radially different movie just by actually following the comics lore more closely....

Oh, I want the Brood Saga! Can even crossover into Captain Marvel 3:Binary.

BANNED

Using the Ultimate X-Men as a template would be stupid because the Ultimate X-Men run was inspired from the Fox-Men to begin with.
    I've seen this bandied around often, but other than the costumes, there really aren't any similarities as far as I can see beyond what comes with the X-Men territory.

eco-Thor
    He was more than that.
    He was "what if the biblical Jesus returned to Earth in the year 2002" Thor. Until Loeb threw out all of Millar's subtlety, and aren't that two words you don't hear together very often.
    Last edited by Carabas; 09-21-2018 at 09:53 AM.

I'd like to see a Phalanx story treated like Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

BANNED

I'm not concerned about repeating storylines. Virtually none of the characters or stories used were all that reflective of the comics and many of them were butchered in execution.

DoFP is the only one they got close enough for me to be concerned.

And other than Fassbender's Magneto, Stewarts Prof. X, and Wolverine....the rest of the characters were not well done. Nightcrawler was ok in X2, but he was such an after-thought.

Lastly - the MCU has been able to do dark and comedic and mystery and a variety of other genres successfully within their universe. And even blending some you wouldn't think would work. They've had misfires, but one thing they have not messed up is continuity. Their movies are all stories that are part of the larger story, character progressions, and building towards great pay-offs. If nothing else, it'll be nice to hvae the X-men in that sort of care. The MCU knew their MVPs, but they still treated the roleplayers with great care. I'll say it again - we should rejoice.