Page 278 of 325 FirstFirst ... 178228268274275276277278279280281282288 ... LastLast
Results 4,156 to 4,170 of 4870

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    The problem isn't fans wanting to see the X-Men film universe as it currently exist continue. It's expectations and the problem of the new version being held up in comparison to other films which were relatively good (Logan, the original 2 films).

Star Wars fans weren't happy with Solo and Last Jedi, and the box office shows it. Or in failed reboots of superhero movies like Amazing Spider-man.

What Marvel Studios did with Iron Man and the Avengers didn't have much comparison to films which are held in high regard. If they do a halfway decent Fantastic Four movie, fans will be thrilled. But with X-Men, it's like Spidy. There's a comparison to other films which people do like. The difference is Tobey Maguire isn't going to put on spandex and keep slinging webs. But there's very much an awareness of comparisons with the Raimi Spider-man movies with the Homecoming series - which was missing in the failed Sony reboot. And JK Simmons might be back as J Jonah Jameson.

Keeping some amount of continuity where elements or characters fans liked are kept so it's not an entire reboot might have avoided some of the problems of the audience rejecting the Amazing Spider-Man.

And I don't think the X-Men fans on here are who Feige cares about. It's the general audience who didn't see Dark Phoenix and like Hugh Jackman.
    I'm pretty sure that Feige cares about building a good connected universe and doing his best takes on the characters more than... Pleasing people who liked Logan and the original trilogy? And I don't really get how that relates to what you're talking about... And what you're talking about in the first place.

Mighty Member

And I don't think the X-Men fans on here are who Feige cares about. It's the general audience who didn't see Dark Phoenix and like Hugh Jackman.
    The general audience didn't see Dark Phoenix? You know why? Cause the general audience thinks the main XMEN suck due to their bad reputation (created by FOXverse).

Feige would be an idiot to try and incorporate that universe in here. Sure, save Reynolds and Deadpool. If Jackman hadn't left, he would've come over too. But leave the story elements in the past.

Patrick is prob a cute cameo or maybe in a flashback scene as Xavier's father. Or maybe an alternate older version that helps Dr. Strange realize mutants exist in MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Feige cares about building a good connected universe and doing his best takes on the characters more than... Pleasing people who liked Logan and the original trilogy? And I don't really get how that relates to what you're talking about... And what you're talking about in the first place.
    Feige cares about making as much money as possible at the box office and not having the first failed MCU movie. What happened with Star Wars can easily happen to the MCU with the audience turning away. Great movies fail all the time. The success of movies rarely has to do with the quality. It's all about marketing and that starts before production.

Part of what Marvel does better than other studios or Lucasfilm is building excitement and positive buzz from the beginning online, so that positivity trickles down to the general audience. A relaunch of the X-Men universe should be fairly positively received, but there's going to be unpopular things - maybe characters are entirely changed like the rumors with Magneto. And it will be incredibly difficult to recast certain characters like Wolverine.

Feige doesn't have to worry about that with Eternals, even if the characters aren't comic accurate because the bigger comparisons are with previous movies. Jared Leto's Joker isn't compared to comics, it's compared to other actors' portrayal of Joker. Hype for The Batman is going to have to get around negativity towards Robert Pattinson.

With X-Men, what's different is that pretty much there's one actor people associate with Wolverine. While people don't mind some of the younger actors, it's Stewart as Xavier and Jackman as Wolverine that present the biggest issue since they defined the characters.

Recasting has been avoided so far in the MCU except for Rhodey which was minor. They haven't tried to replace one of the main cast. But with X-Men, they're going to have to do that. And it's not replacing the First Class and younger actors, it's replacing Stewart and Jackman. If you want to build buzz - then don't try to recast them, replace them with similar characters. Which is what they're doing in the MCU, and imagine the reaction to the headline "Jackman joins the MCU" (even it it's just a cameo). That's the type of positive buzz they'll want. Just not sure if they'll get Jackman and Stewart without rolling up Brinks trucks.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 01-21-2020 at 05:32 PM.

BANNED

Feige cares about making as much money as possible at the box office and not having the first failed MCU movie. What happened with Star Wars can easily happen to the MCU with the audience turning away. Great movies fail all the time. The success of movies rarely has to do with the quality. It's all about marketing and that starts before production.

Part of what Marvel does better than other studios or Lucasfilm is building excitement and positive buzz from the beginning online, so that positivity trickles down to the general audience. A relaunch of the X-Men universe should be fairly positively received, but there's going to be unpopular things - maybe characters are entirely changed like the rumors with Magneto. And it will be incredibly difficult to recast certain characters like Wolverine.

Feige doesn't have to worry about that with Eternals, even if the characters aren't comic accurate because the bigger comparisons are with previous movies. Jared Leto's Joker isn't compared to comics, it's compared to other actors' portrayal of Joker. Hype for The Batman is going to have to get around negativity towards Robert Pattinson.

With X-Men, what's different is that pretty much there's one actor people associate with Wolverine. While people don't mind some of the younger actors, it's Stewart as Xavier and Jackman as Wolverine that present the biggest issue since they defined the characters.

Recasting has been avoided so far in the MCU except for Rhodey which was minor. They haven't tried to replace one of the main cast. But with X-Men, they're going to have to do that. And it's not replacing the First Class and younger actors, it's replacing Stewart and Jackman. If you want to build buzz - then don't try to recast them, replace them with similar characters. Which is what they're doing in the MCU, and imagine the reaction to the headline "Jackman joins the MCU" (even it it's just a cameo). That's the type of positive buzz they'll want. Just not sure if they'll get Jackman and Stewart without rolling up Brinks trucks.
    thrm the solution is easy avoid use any of the X-men from the fox movies some years. If New mutants do well they will be incorporated to the MCU and there were rumors that the first X-film would be Excalibur with betsy , brian , megan and other british characters. And betsy is one of the few recast that they can do easily because in Apocalypse she was just a minion without personality.

The X-Men were already recast once. There are basically 2 versions of the Fox X-Men. Patrick Stewart was already recasted as Xavier before. Did James McAvoy get huge backslash? No, cause he still portrayed the character well. It's gonna be the same for whoever portrays him on the MCU. Considering it's been almost 15 years since the original trilogy ended, I think everyone has already understood that that's over and done. You're overestimating how much people care about it. Yeah love for Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman got resurged after Logan, but that movie was, in every single way, a goodbye to those versions of those characters. I'm assuming that the general audience understood that?

I don't doubt that Marvel will try to be different from Fox. But they'll do that simply because they want to do a fresh take. Not because they're afraid the public is too attached to the Fox versions. Like how MCU Spidey is completely different and they haven't reused villains or Uncle Ben.

I don't think they can do X-Men without Xavier. You talk about replacing him, but who in the hell can replace him? Without Wolverine, yeah, but I imagine that if they choose not to have him on the first X-Men movie, they'll have him appear on another movie/show and then join the X-Men later on a sequel.

Mighty Member

They haven't tried to replace one of the main cast. But with X-Men, they're going to have to do that. And it's not replacing the First Class and younger actors, it's replacing Stewart and Jackman. If you want to build buzz - then don't try to recast them, replace them with similar characters. Which is what they're doing in the MCU, and imagine the reaction to the headline "Jackman joins the MCU" (even it it's just a cameo). That's the type of positive buzz they'll want. Just not sure if they'll get Jackman and Stewart without rolling up Brinks trucks.
    WHAT? You can't recast Stewart?! WHAT!? He already was recasted! And his recast was widely accepted and praised.

You're also trying to make it seem as if the general audience loves the FOXverse when the FOXVerse has a horrible reputation (aside Logan and Deadpool).

Nobody is going to be missing Singer and Kinberg except their lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    WHAT? You can't recast Stewart?! WHAT!? He already was recasted! And his recast was widely accepted and praised.

You're also trying to make it seem as if the general audience loves the FOXverse when the FOXVerse has a horrible reputation (aside Logan and Deadpool).

Nobody is going to be missing Singer and Kinberg except their lawyers.
    The amount of nonsense that goes on here is reckoning. From the FoxVerse only X-Men 3, X-Men Origins, X-Men Apocalypse and X-Men Dark Phoenix have horrible reputations since X-Men had higher standards to the MCU that appeals to the lowest standards of acceptability.

The complete nonsense that X-Men First Class, Days of Future Past, X-Men 1 or X2 have horrible reputations when they are superior movies to the soda fast food take of MCU movies. Twenty years ago, this wasn't the situation of what defines the reputation of comics. X-Men 1 beginning in Auschwitz Camp is a horrible reputation versus the dumb spoofy nonsense of MCU movies is outright offensive to people's intellect.

Ugh no, the Fox films are gross and I don't want the MCU emulating them at all. They failed for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Ugh no, the Fox films are gross and I don't want the MCU emulating them at all. They failed for a reason.
    I don't want X-Men emulating MCU movies. MCU has failed the whole genre. They are already at the beginning of the end, struggling to get a sit at the table of what defines proper cinema. Do you want X-Men to be their last sign off.

Extraordinary Member

I think what Fiege gets right is that we don't see him taking the MCU success for granted. He still seems very aware that it could fail. All it takes is one bad movie.

The X-Men are a very dangerous thing to the MCU. Part if it and Fiege's success is exactly because they didn't have the X-Men or Fantastic Four. They had to use lesser known properties and make them work.

Now the X-Men could either revitalize the line or sink it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I think what Fiege gets right is that we don't see him taking the MCU success for granted. He still seems very aware that it could fail. All it takes is one bad movie.

The X-Men are a very dangerous thing to the MCU. Part if it and Fiege's success is exactly because they didn't have the X-Men or Fantastic Four. They had to use lesser known properties and make them work.

Now the X-Men could either revitalize the line or sink it.
    Fox did X-Men an injustice in many cases. Feige probably knows they should expose more parts of the extensive X-Men lore to the audience, as opposed to Fox's bad take. I mean, we have The Falcon and the Winter Soldier likely taking us to Madripoor (never featured in the FoX-Men) and likewise, S.W.O.R.D. in WandaVision. The X-Men brand isn't toxic in any way, as people want to see good X-Men movies and in the MCU. They just got to treat it with respect.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Fox did X-Men an injustice in many cases. Feige probably knows they should expose more parts of the extensive X-Men lore to the audience, as opposed to Fox's bad take. I mean, we have The Falcon and the Winter Soldier likely taking us to Madripoor (never featured in the FoX-Men) and likewise, S.W.O.R.D. in WandaVision. The X-Men brand isn't toxic in any way, as people want to see good X-Men movies and in the MCU. They just got to treat it with respect.
    But it is toxic. Fox has made it toxic and now Fiege and Disney have to figure out just what they're doing it. And you're right, Fox was way to afraid to explore the wider lore they had at their disposal. This is one of the reasons the MCU has thrived, because Fiege knows audiences can handle and even usually want the more out there stuff.

But it's not going to be easy. What has made Star Wars a difficult property is that Disney was so sure they had a sure thing. There simply wasn't the quality control we see with other Disney properties. And ti make it worse, the Star Wars fandom is a rabid monster on its own. The X-Men fans might be easier to please.

I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I haven't seen anything confirming that Stewart would be playing Xavier, only that Feige and Stewart have been in contact.
    I didn't even know that they had spoken about anything involving a future film. Stewart will always be the perfect Xavier, but it is time to move on. A cameo would be cool though.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

The fact that they even spoke to Stewart lends credence to these rumors that there may be FOX-men cameos in Doctor Strange 2 showing some alternate realities in the Multiverse, and that they may be building towards Secret Wars as the way to introduce the FF and X-men into the MCU. Honestly, that’s a clever way to connect the two... without actually connecting them. And if I see Jackman show up as Old Man Logan from some alternate MCU where the heroes all died, well, I’d freak out honestly. That would be awesome IMO.

The problem isn't fans wanting to see the X-Men film universe as it currently exist continue. It's expectations and the problem of the new version being held up in comparison to other films which were relatively good (Logan, the original 2 films).
    Same could be said about the MCY Spider-Man movies vs. the original Raimi ones, and yet both are well-regarded.

Star Wars fans weren't happy with Solo and Last Jedi, and the box office shows it. Or in failed reboots of superhero movies like Amazing Spider-man.
    I don't think the ASM movies were that well-made (and, as I recall, the first did perfectly fine). Last Jedi was the highest-grossing movie of its year and Solo was plagued with a lot of problems and poor marketing so the whole "find overall didn't like them" thing is not exactly a sound argument.[/QUOTE]
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)