Page 310 of 325 FirstFirst ... 210260300306307308309310311312313314320 ... LastLast
Results 4,636 to 4,650 of 4870

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    That's something the MCU can fill the gaps in and improve, if they can turn the Vulture into a great villain they can do that to Sinister.
    The MCU Vulture shares little in common with the one presented at times in Spider-Man comics. An MCU Sinister would be similarly modified from the text.

He also would serve as a step up to Apocalypse.
    LOL no. I'd assume that narrative link would be among the first elements excised from the character(s).

Why is villain in quotes?
    Because the essential conflict he represents is not in direct opposition to the themes and interests of the X-Men.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 06-22-2020 at 07:56 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    The MCU Vulture shares little in common with the one presented at times in Spider-Man comics. An MCU Sinister would be similarly modified from the text.
    They don't have to go that far but my point stands, they made a nobody like Vulture into a fan favourite.

LOL no. I'd assume that narrative link would be among the first elements excised from the character(s).
    Why?

Because the essential conflict he represents is not in direct opposition to the themes and interests of the X-Men.
    Of course Sinister does. The conflicts are about how he's ok manipulating people, even his own allies, for his own ends and the lucky victims he has die sooner rather than later. He's well known for "experimenting" on anything to create the ultimate life form and he has no grasp on what consent means. In his own element Sinister is terrifying to behold. This is why he's one of the most hated and feared villains among the X-men and the Summers' family (including Nate Grey). Another vector he brings with him is evolution and mad science.

They don't have to go that far but my point stands, they made a nobody like Vulture into a fan favourite.
    But I don't care about your point, you care about mine.

Why?
    Cause it sucks? What's great about Apocalypse is that he's Conan. What's great about Sinister is that he's Moreau. It's a waste of narrative screentime to establish a link.

Of course Sinister does. The conflicts are about how he's ok manipulating people, even his own allies, for his own ends and the lucky victims he has die sooner rather than later. He's well known for "experimenting" on anything to create the ultimate life form and he has no grasp on what consent means. In his own element Sinister is terrifying to behold. This is why he's one of the most hated and feared villains among the X-men and the Summers' family (including Nate Grey). Another vector he brings with him is evolution and mad science.
    Nah. I'd rather spend screentime with the strong personalities in the X-Men roster, and how they reconcile the idealism of The Dream. We don't need to meet a charismatic monster unless his own mission statement challenges the Dream. That's why Sentinels, Magneto, Apocalypse and Stryker all work. Sinister doesn't have a mission statement. He's an agent of chaos.

??? Magneto doesn't fit you statement considering his own ideology about recruiting mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    ??? Magneto doesn't fit you statement considering his own ideology about recruiting mutants.
    what
    10 characters

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Those three DO serve, but I think for the first film you need to establish that the status quo is the enemy, and build from there. Fox-Men 1 started there with Senator Kelly, but dropped it in favor of an Evil Brotherhood story. The first film needs to almost entirely focus on the different heroes and their positions in this status quo, not some megalomaniacal personality with moving-target-motivations.

I’d start the franchise with Sentinels: big, medium, and Master Mold —and end on a slightly different Krakoa. The first film needs to establish a change in the world, prompting a change in the X-Men.
    Sounds like you’d possibly want to start with Krakoa, since it could serve as the catalyst for a lot of what you describe, including the formation of Orchis to launch the Sentinels and create Master Mold. I’ve always said that a flashback in the beginning to the original mission to Krakoa, and then jumping to the present day with the X-men moving from the Xavier School (where they operated in secret for year) to their new island nation-state of Krakoa would be a bold direction for the mutants in the MCU. And it would really serve to differentiate them from the FOX version, which had the school aesthetic throughout.

The beauty of this, of course, is that you could fill many seasons of Disney+ shows filling in the gaps on things that happened in the past when the X-men were operating out of the school (including maybe doing the Mutant Massacre featuring Sinister and the Marauders). But in the films you could push forward into this bright new uncharted future for mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Sounds like you’d possibly want to start with Krakoa,
    Ew no.

LOL at the idea of foregoing the brand pillar of school/sanctuary for X-Men.

I'm sure I've described my ideal setup in this thread at least five times but I'd set the campus in the Outback.

Krakoa comes in at the end because he's going to get a huge century spanning retcon that mirrors Wolverine's story.

Nah. I'd rather spend screentime with the strong personalities in the X-Men roster, and how they reconcile the idealism of The Dream. We don't need to meet a charismatic monster unless his own mission statement challenges the Dream. That's why Sentinels, Magneto, Apocalypse and Stryker all work. Sinister doesn't have a mission statement. He's an agent of chaos.
    Sinister could be very easy to tweak into something with a mission statement that puts him into conflict with Magneto and Xavier.

Let's say Sinister doesn't think mutants OR Humans are good enough, and is searching for the peak of human mutant evolution. In the process he has no problems kidnapping mutants and altering their DNA or even wiping out mutant communities that he considers dead-ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Let's say Sinister doesn't think mutants OR Humans are good enough, and is searching for the peak of human mutant evolution.
    This misses the point of The Dream. "Peak Human/Mutant Evolution" is a cultural evolution.

Seeking the solution in DNA is looking in the wrong place, and leads to a stupid arms race between reality-warping telepaths.

Sinister is basically the Hitler of the mutant world. He’s all about eugenics which is a pretty substantial and real motivation, misguided or otherwise. Just saying.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Sinister is basically the Hitler of the mutant world. He’s all about eugenics which is a pretty substantial and real motivation, misguided or otherwise. Just saying.
    He's significantly worse than Hitler, in motivation. He's not trying to make one group better, at the expense of all the rest, which would, at least, make him a hero to that one sub-tribe, he's just killing them off for his own self-advancement. He's about as 'mad' as a 'mad scientist' can get, experimenting on mutants not for their benefit, but for his, so he can continue to pillage powers (and bodies) from them for himself and his eternal decadence.

Apocalypse or Magneto or Namor (perhaps Exodus, whose motivation appears to be 'be the noble shining knight of my own story, no matter how self-deluded and weak-willed I am') could be rationalized as doing what he does for the eventual good of his 'master race,' but people like Sinister and Selene and the Shadow King and Dark Beast are in it entirely for themselves, and will use, abuse or kill any number of mutants (or humans) to get there.

Which doesn't mean that Sinister can't be entertaining.

He’s killing mutants off to cull those whose genetic gifts he deems inferior, trying to breed a perfect master race of mutants. He deems humanity as beneath notice in the main, since in his view they are doomed to be replaced anyway, and is instead focused on creating these uber powerful mutants to rule. So, yes, I’d say Sinister is probably even more evil than Apocalypse or Magneto.

And I agree that Sinister could be highly entertaining as a villain in the MCU.

...Can we not?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if they might have Wolverine show up with Alpha Flight first before he joins the X-Men.
    https://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-men...iverse-a176229

https://www.cbr.com/alpha-flight-mar...u-debut-rumor/

These rumors all seem to be pointing to Wolverine being introduced alongside Alpha Flight, post Weapon X but clearly scarred from their experimentation on him and his torture at their hands. I’m betting that rumor of the X-men freeing him from either Alpha Flight/Department H could be legit because we keep seeing rumors that align on that front.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm starting to like the sound of these recent rumours/speculation. I'm keen on the idea of starting off with the Weapon X program, throwing in Alpha Flight (as agents of Weapon X?) and then have the X-Men rescue Wolverine. Or something.

Borrowing perhaps from the Assault on Weapon X arc from Mark Millar's Ultimate X-Men mixed with the Toyo Harada Harbinger Foundation from Valiant's Harbinger reboot.