Page 318 of 325 FirstFirst ... 218268308314315316317318319320321322 ... LastLast
Results 4,756 to 4,770 of 4870
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    LOL...Wolverines backstory is not important to the character especially since he went decades without it. That mystery is what played up in most of his early stories, especially as he grew to heights of popularity. I really do not expect them to change his race at all but it definitely wouldnt be because of his origins, which do not matter to the character. Its not like the origins of lets say Spider-Man or Captain America. Wolverine's backstory never has to be touched and he would still be good
    I find it incredibly amusing that after so much time spent by people complaining about Fox changing character backgrounds, no matter HOW minor it was to the character, that suddenly now it doesn't matter.

Just reinforces my observation at the time that it was never about character backgrounds being changed, but simply the hypocrisy of criticizing Fox for a practice that Marvel THEMSELVES used quite liberally.

I agree with who are predicting less movies in the near future. I think cartoons will be a safe first bet for initial content. Give us the new X-Men cartoon already Disney! Stop teasing. We all know it's coming.

As for having too many projects, I agree. I'm an X fan so i would prefer they would start digging in the X-lore already instead of all these other B-lister from the Avengers lore.
    A picture would last longer darling...

The X-Men already have plenty of diverse characters MCU can use without having to racebend any major characters. It boggles my mind that people are so quick to suggest "let's make character X black!" instead of, you know, including an actual black character in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I find it incredibly amusing that after so much time spent by people complaining about Fox changing character backgrounds, no matter HOW minor it was to the character, that suddenly now it doesn't matter.

Just reinforces my observation at the time that it was never about character backgrounds being changed, but simply the hypocrisy of criticizing Fox for a practice that Marvel THEMSELVES used quite liberally.
    Again Im not advocating anything about Wolverine to change but you cant deny that he doesnt need his origin told bc it did not matter to the character's popularity considering it wasnt told until 2002, decades after he was created. You are focusing on Wolverine but that wasnt my original point which had more to do with racebending non-white characters as blue

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    The X-Men already have plenty of diverse characters MCU can use without having to racebend any major characters. It boggles my mind that people are so quick to suggest "let's make character X black!" instead of, you know, including an actual black character in the movie.
    I completely agree, especially considering how successful the MCU has been at taking obscure, unpopular marvel characters like the guardians and making them into fan-favorites. This reboot is the perfect opportunity to give some underutilized POC mutants like Monet, Rictor, Hisako etc. their time to shine on the big screen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    I completely agree, especially considering how successful the MCU has been at taking obscure, unpopular marvel characters like the guardians and making them into fan-favorites. This reboot is the perfect opportunity to give some underutilized POC mutants like Monet, Rictor, Hisako etc. their time to shine on the big screen.
    The problem I noted before is that the significant majority of diverse characters are younger generations that certain posters have declared it would be a joke to introduce before more rehashing of the O5/Giant-Sized cast.

When’s the earliest that you think we’ll see the MCU X-Men debut?

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Maybe 4 - 5 years. Their Representation phase is going to take them about 2 to 3 years and since they are starting a whole new story right now mutants getting a standalone movie seem a ways away
    Last edited by Tofali; 07-07-2020 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Not earlier then 2024.

Fantastic Member

The problem I noted before is that the significant majority of diverse characters are younger generations that certain posters have declared it would be a joke to introduce before more rehashing of the O5/Giant-Sized cast.
    I.... kind of agree. Also most of the popular characters are white, straight and look like super-models. People always talk about how diverse and multicultural the Giant-sized cast is but then ignore that Sunfire left right away and Thunderbird was killed off... leaving a team of mostly white males again.

So this is Marvel's chance to use lesser known, obscure POC characters along with the A-list and give us actual diversity.
    Last edited by SerCo; 07-07-2020 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SerCo View Post
    I.... kind of agree. Also most of the popular characters are white, straight and look like super-models. People always talk about how diverse and multicultural the Giant-sized cast is but then ignore that Sunfire left right away and Thunderbird was killed off... leaving a team of mostly white males again.

So this is Marvel's chance to use lesser known, obscure POC characters along with the A-list and give us actual diversity.
    And every X-man Claremont would add to the cast over his 17 stint would be more white men and woman, save Forge

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    And every X-man Claremont would add to the cast over his 17 stint would be more white men and woman, save Forge
    Yeah I was thinking about that too. I wanted to say Bishop but then I remember he was introduced right after Claremont left. There's Psylocke I guess but that's more... cultural appropiation than diversity.

That's not so cut and dried. Most people forget that Song of the South was set in the POST-war era. Still not exactly an accurate depiction of the Reconstruction era, but not quite as bad as when it was assumed to be a pre-CW plantation.
    ehhhh I was living in Alabama when we watched that movie in my 3rd grade class, thankfully I was the only black kid in the school soooo I didnt really have a lotta "friends" to hear any crazy racist sh!t stemming from the movie just normal racist stuff...Being a kid I really liked the animated Bre'r rabbit parts, but the fact that it was set after slavery was lost on me and all the kids. And honestly just confused my limited knowledge of that time period. It seems ridiculously crazy to treat the end of hundreds of years of brutality so lightly but I digress
    Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    All the 'too white' comments are extremely cringey levels of woke y'all. Marvel/Disney is anything BUT racist and/or bigoted. Must we comment on it constantly? It's getting old.
    Huh how is it "woke" to point out the lack of diversity?
    Huh? I havent read this whole thread but in the last couple of pages wheredo you see all these people suggesting to make characters black?
    Not to be funny buuut you had to have noticed the irony of your post considering the character you've taken your username from, and chose as an avatar lol
    GrindrStone(D)

The MCU has already shown that it has no problem with altering iconic team rosters. I remember when the first Avengers film was coming out in 2012, a fair amount of die-hard comic fans were upset that Hank Pym and Janet van dyke had been replaced by Hawkeye and Black Widow, but general audiences didn’t care and grew fond of that version of the team. I know some people would be extremely against it, but I personally wouldn’t mind if the films retconned some of the younger mutants as being part of the O5/Giant-Size generations.

Quote Originally Posted by SerCo View Post

Agree that they could use lesser known characters more, like maybe having Sunfire stick around and not killing Thunderbird right away. I think the problem with them is that their powers are kind of redundant and a bit boring, however. Sunfire is basically the mutant version of Human Torch and Thunderbird is Wolverine without the healing factor and claws pretty much. So I'm just not sure replacing A-list characters with lesser known diverse ones is going to work as well as playing with the majors and maybe race-bending a couple of them for whom their ethnicity is not core to their character. Again, I go with my example of Cyclops as half-Latinx (on his mother's side with an Anglo name like Summers). Much like Laura in 'Logan,' where she was half Latinx. Didn't change the character much at all, but suddenly gave us a more diverse character that Latinx viewers could see themselves in a bit more.

I could see this working for a number of a characters, but even just doing it for a couple would change the dynamic for modern audiences. In addition to Cyclops, perhaps Iceman. He could be black. Would it change him much? And much easier to have him in the film than to try and bring in Bishop and explain him. Unless you change his origin, which I think purist fans would hate more than race-bending. Perhaps not, though.

So I've personally got no issue with race bending a couple of the O5. But if they go the other way and sub out O5 or other A-listers for more diverse characters who never hit big, I'm fine with that too. I just want X-men MCU content sooner than later.