Page 115 of 325 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119125165215 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,725 of 4870

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Yeah I know, I just liked the concept of the Academy of Tomorrow from Ultimate X-Men better. Wasn't the Massachusetts Academy tied to the Hellfire Club someone? I just feel like the Massachusetts Academy is the 'bad guy school' while the Academy of Tomorrow is a viable alternative to the X-mansion. And I liked seeing Emma Frost running a school with characters like Havoc, Angel or Dazzler on her side. I just through that concept would be more interesting to explore in a movie compared to having Emma as a teacher or just running a school for bad guys.

Ultimate X-Men had a lot of good ideas and felt very fresh at first but I think it ran for too long. The premise to have this alternative universe was initially a great way to explore things they would have never done in the main continuity, but maybe it gave the writers too much freedom to do weird stuff and ultimately hurt the book. I read it on Marvel Unlimited and don't think I would have read the whole thing if I had to buy it. I thought the costumes with the gold accents were really cool though.

Going back to the Claremont run would be the best thing to do for an X-Men cinematic universe - even a TV show with a huge budget. There are other runs worthy of an adaptation, but the Claremont run includes the stories that contributed the most to building the X-Men universe in the comics. I think these are the stories that would make people want more X-men content and establish a complex X-Men cinematic universe.
    616's Emma's school was a real boarding school for rich kid humans. She only had a small squad of Hellions, who yes, were meant to be commodities for the Hellfire Club( I mean, hello, Emma was created as a villain... even if Claremont did temper that a bit when he used her more in the NM run. She wasn't sooo evil there, even if she was basically trying to enslave humanity.).

That said, the Ultimate version also ended up being tied to the Hellfire Club if I remember correctly(Emma was dating Shinobi Shaw, who was funding the school and was also a member of a new branch of the Hellfire Club(the previous one, including Sebastian Shaw, having been destroyed by the Phoenix earlier in the run).

*I did like that part of the Millar's Ultimate run, his version of the DPS positioned the Hellfire Club in a more Freemasons/Illuminati-type role, a collection of all the most powerful businessmen/politicians who were using arcane Egyptian magic to try to control the Phoenix.

But yes, ultimately Claremont's run is the meat and bones of the franchise, and I'd love to see it adapted in film and show formats by the MCU.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    to see it adapted in film and show formats by the MCU
    adaptation is the key word

I think there's a LOT to be salvaged and polished from the Claremont's best work of the X-Men... preferably the early and mid 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post

I think there's a LOT to be salvaged and polished from the Claremont's best work of the X-Men... preferably the early and mid 80s.
    I don't expect a 1:1 live action version. Certainly some things can be omitted, others enhanced. The MCU has certainly played loose and fast with their stories so far, but for the most part they have done well with bringing the core of each character to the screen, adapted for the modern day, and I'd be happy if that's what happens with the X-Men.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    616's Emma's school was a real boarding school for rich kid humans. She only had a small squad of Hellions, who yes, were meant to be commodities for the Hellfire Club( I mean, hello, Emma was created as a villain... even if Claremont did temper that a bit when he used her more in the NM run. She wasn't sooo evil there, even if she was basically trying to enslave humanity.).
    Yeah, pre-redemption Emma was a massive jerk. She lit Firestar's horse'sbarn on fire and convinced Angelica that her having an attraction to Sam Guthrie or anyone for that matter would lead to fiery disaster. All in order to make her into the perfect puppet.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Yeah, pre-redemption Emma was a massive jerk. She lit Firestar's horse'sbarn on fire and convinced Angelica that her having an attraction to Sam Guthrie or anyone for that matter would lead to fiery disaster. All in order to make her into the perfect puppet.
    That's why she's awesome. Because she isn't perfect, and is trying to be a better person than what she once was.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    That's why she's awesome. Because she isn't perfect, and is trying to be a better person than what she once was.
    Then IvX happens.

And honestly, the horse had it coming.

It's a little less impressive when not killing something today puts a win in that column.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Then IvX happens.
    I'll take 15 years of well-written stories over one editor deciding he really likes nostalgia. I imagine Magneto fans feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    It's a little less impressive when not killing something today puts a win in that column.
    If you want to ignore all of the last 20 years of her character history maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    The only good Ultimate X-Men runs are by BKV, Spencer and Wood (and I'm not so sure Wood's ultra-pacifist X-Men would work that well anymore).
    Brian Michael Bendis's "Block Buster" story arc was pretty good.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Adaption is the key word as long as the content's work is not severely changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hall View Post
    Adaption is the key word as long as the content's work is not severely changed.
    Example of adapted work that isn’t changed? I’m confused.

Example of adapted work that isn’t changed? I’m confused.
    DOFP is the best example I can think off for X-Men. The content was the same when it was adapted to movies and animation. however there were some minor changes but it never affected what made DOFP such an iconic storyline.In X-Men TAS, Bishop was the time traveller not Kitty Pryde like the oringal story. In the movies, kitty is not the time traveller but she sends Wolverine back in time to stop the assassination. The important content of time travel is present in the comics, movie, animation.

The content also demands an assassination to be the trigger of what caused such a horrific future. In the movie there was an assassination but it was not Senator's Kelly like the comics but Boliver Trask. The Assassin in the oringal comic story is Destiny. The Assassin in the movie and cartoon was Mystique However the content of Assassination is present in TAS, Comics, Movie.

The most important content of the story was the genocide of the mutant population with only a few mutants left to reverse it.

Comics had Storm, Magneto, Kitty, Peter, Wolverine, Rachel, Frank Richards

The Movie had Storm, Magneto, Xavier, Bobby, Petter, Wolverine, Kitty Pryde, Bishop, Warpath

TAS had Forge, Wolverine, Bishop and some new mutants.

While the mutants who survive have been different in every adaption of the story, the most important content is there- that some mutants survived and tried to reverse that fate of the world.This is how you make a great adaption without changing much of the story that you are now completely looking at something so different from the oringal story.
    Last edited by Hall; 10-14-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Mighty Member

Just realized we could finally get Iceman and Firestar on screen with Spider-Man.

Who's up for a Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends film?

I may or may not be 100% serious.