Page 137 of 325 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147187237 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,055 of 4870
    Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by khrisdrummond View Post
    Blame Edgar Wright for what happened to Janet Van Dyne not Marvel Studios.
    spoilers:
    Janet was a superhero before Carol was. So why couldn’t she be the source of the Avenger name?
    end of spoilers

Oh because Carol has to be at the center of the MCU.

Here’s my question does every film have to be “comic accurate” or just be a good film??
    It’s a nitpick I will admit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    And?...
    And who were you speaking for? I mean, there's no...

... “I” ...
    ... in...

... our...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Irony of what lol? Am I wrong? Wolverine's past is most irrelevant to who he is as a character. Unlike guys like Batman or Spider-Man who have a very specific origin story that influenced who they were as characters, Logan's whole thing for several decades was that he didn't remember who he was. None of that Thomas Logan stuff influenced his character in the comics so it's as good as irrelevant. You could easily erase the whole thing and it wouldn't change anything. Hence, he doesn't need to be a White dude
    After all the backlash against Fox for changing backgrounds of even minor characters, you're proposing the MCU do the same with one of the MAJOR characters. So yes, irony, and no small amount of hypocrisy for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    After all the backlash against Fox for changing backgrounds of even minor characters, you're proposing the MCU do the same with one of the MAJOR characters. So yes, irony, and no small amount of hypocrisy for good measure.
    That 'background' was written almost 30 years after the character debuted. It was never something built into his pathos as a character. And if it really means so much, they can always keep pieces. But it's not like the parents of 'James Howlett' were particularly relevant to who Wolverine was as a character. You could make easy adjustments there and it wouldn't matter much. I can't speak for all Logan fans but my guess is that the vast majority won't care if they change his backstory to fit the MCU like they've done with characters like Carol Danvers.

That's very different from how the background of many Fox characters like Storm were treated. They basically changed the backstory into not just something different, but something awful. Seriously, Fox Storm really grew up idolizing Mystique. That's just bad. And just to be clear, it's making bad changes that really hurt. Magneto's history is a bit different in the Fox movies but he was badass af and they ultimately captured his character, background, and development well in First Class so no one really complained about that. It's all quality at the end of the day. People were more pissed but how they changed things for many characters than them just changing things in general. The MCU won't be super comic accurate either but we can at least most changes to be for the better for characters not named Logan, Xavier, and Erik.

BANNED

spoilers:
    Janet was a superhero before Carol was. So why couldn’t she be the source of the Avenger name?
    end of spoilers

It’s a nitpick I will admit.
    Or it's because continuity wise Fury never knew Janet, and the fact Janet used to fight with Hank is such a secret even her daughter who did know about the Ant-Man tech didn't even find out until years later.
    You don't need to like Carol but that's such a worthless complaint that it's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicer View Post
    Or it's because continuity wise Fury never knew Janet, and the fact Janet used to fight with Hank is such a secret even her daughter who did know about the Ant-Man tech didn't even find out until years later.
    You don't need to like Carol but that's such a worthless complaint that it's ridiculous.
    It wasn’t a secret within the ranks of SHEILD. Peggy Carter, Howard Stark, and some other dude were shown to have known. They were SHEILD agents after all and Nick Fury is the current director of SHEILD. So based on that here’s an idea:

spoilers:
    The duo were called the Avengers, a name that Janet came up with. Fury found out about them when he became director of SHEILD and decided to name the initiative after SHEILD’s previous superhero team.
    end of spoilers

See? It’s not impossible to write like you’re making it out to be. In fact, a lot of people were hoping that this would happen. But what’s done is done.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 03-17-2019 at 08:37 PM.

In regards to the question of how to create a new, more diverse X-Men teams for new movies -- race-swapping big names or using other characters who are minorities -- I'd rather go with the latter; most of the really big names have already been done (or overdone) in the movies already made. I'd like to see new characters we've never seen before take the stage.

Quote Originally Posted by khrisdrummond View Post
    Here’s my question does every film have to be “comic accurate” or just be a good film??
    I think the latter is more important. Besides, sometimes changing stuff up allows the movie to do it better.

Quote Originally Posted by frankyspaceout View Post
    Well the reason why is I see many X-Men fans on the internet griping about X-Men in the MCU and wanting them separate.
    I'd prefer them separate myself, but it's got more to do with wanting both series to continue rather then getting a merge (so to speak). Make of that what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Feige made it clear she will be one of the new faces of the MCU.
    Sounds good to me.

Fury explicitly said that it was the events of Thor that made them realize they were not alone. And there is no denying it was a retcon.
    Guess he compartmentalized the Skrull and Kree stuff from the Avengers. Seriously, it is a retcon, but it's so in character there's no reason to worry about it.

spoilers:
    end of spoilers

I liked the twist. Gave the element in question a meaningful backstory in the context of the MCU, instead of just being "because the comics did it." Besides, if it turns out that Endgame is going to be the last roundup for Iron Man (or Captain America, or any of the other MCU big shots), we're going to need a new person to be the big name hero appearing in everyone else's movies, so why not Captain Marvel?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

I think race-bending a few X-men isn't going to hurt it. What if Charles Xavier was black?

I don't think Angel is a good idea (too much like Falcon) and Iceman as a black man is going to make people think Frozone. Maybe that isn't a big deal, but it might be.

Xavier, Cyclops, Storm, Jean, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Shadowcat is the team I think I'd prefer they start with.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Which can be writtten off as Fury intentionally lying to the Avengers in hopes to make them Earth’s mightiest heroes/ first line of defense.

We see Fury lie to them in the movie several times in the film in hopes off achieving that goal. So again, it’s not a plot hole. Just another example of Fury being Fury.
    Plus it had been over 20 years since they had so much as a glimpse of anything crazy until Thor showed up. Even in Captain Marvel the fighting really was not that public so most people still had no idea about what was out there. In Thor basically a whole small town gets destroyed and there is no way SHIELD could cover that all up. Thor's coming to Earth with the other Asgardians really did put visitors from other worlds right in the face of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Plus it had been over 20 years since they had so much as a glimpse of anything crazy until Thor showed up. Even in Captain Marvel the fighting really was not that public so most people still had no idea about what was out there. In Thor basically a whole small town gets destroyed and there is no way SHIELD could cover that all up. Thor's coming to Earth with the other Asgardians really did put visitors from other worlds right in the face of people.
    It was a response to the Avengers questioning why SHEILD was making Tesseract-based weapons. So he was referring to SHEILD, not the public.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 03-17-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

It was a response to the Avengers questioning why SHEILD was making Tesseract-based weapons. So he was referring to SHEILD, not the public.
    Or, once again, Fury is simply lying and just using Thor as a scapegoat.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    I think race-bending a few X-men isn't going to hurt it. What if Charles Xavier was black?

I don't think Angel is a good idea (too much like Falcon) and Iceman as a black man is going to make people think Frozone. Maybe that isn't a big deal, but it might be.

Xavier, Cyclops, Storm, Jean, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Shadowcat is the team I think I'd prefer they start with.
    I actually think Iceman is a great one to race bend. Of the O5 at least. His race is not at all a factor in his character, and he’s less iconic than Cyclops or Jean. Agreed about Angel. He’s super rich and WASPy, so that’s a big part of who he is. I’d make Iceman black and Beast Hispanic. Sure, his name is Hank McCoy, but make him have a Mexican mother. Easy.

Not sure who else I’d mess with honestly, as there’s plenty of existing diverse characters to use as well like Storm, Jubilee, Bishop, Thunderbird, Forge, Sunfire, etc. Lots of options when you get to the ANAD squad and beyond.

Janet got done dirty in so many ways, the Avengers name is the least of her problems tbh. For one(besides the whole fact she's an old woman instead of the main Wasp), she shouldn't have been dusted. I think there was a very interesting arc on her finally getting out of the quantum realm and reuniting with her family only for them to die as soon as that happens. And the Avengers are apparently gonna need to go to the Quantum Realm and she's the one who has lived there for ages and knows everything about it. But they're just gonna have Scott be the one with that role.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Janet got done dirty in so many ways, the Avengers name is the least of her problems tbh. For one(besides the whole fact she's an old woman instead of the main Wasp), she shouldn't have been dusted. I think there was a very interesting arc on her finally getting out of the quantum realm and reuniting with her family only for them to die as soon as that happens. And the Avengers are apparently gonna need to go to the Quantum Realm and she's the one who has lived there for ages and knows everything about it. But they're just gonna have Scott be the one with that role.
    Jesus Christ I hadn’t thought of that and now that’s all I want.

Grandma Janet: Quantum Warrior leading the Avengers.

As for a less white O5, mix it heavily with the ANAD squad and get a MCUO7.

1. Enrique McCoy, Hispanic on his mama’s side, Chicagoan on his father’s.
    2. Scott Summers, ideally Alaskan Métis, certainly orphaned
    3. Ororo, the mysterious child goddess of Kenya
    4. Kurt Wagner, the quasimodo of Munich
    5. Shiro Yashida, hotheaded son of the Yakuza
    6. Bobby Drake, cool kid from Long Island
    7. Jean Grey, Jewish gal from Scarsdale.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 03-17-2019 at 10:16 PM.

BANNED

It wasn’t a secret within the ranks of SHEILD. Peggy Carter, Howard Stark, and some other dude were shown to have known. They were SHEILD agents after all and Nick Fury is the current director of SHEILD. So based on that here’s an idea:

spoilers:
    The duo were called the Avengers, a name that Janet came up with. Fury found out about them when he became director of SHEILD and decided to name the initiative after SHEILD’s previous superhero team.
    end of spoilers

See? It’s not impossible to write like you’re making it out to be. In fact, a lot of people were hoping that this would happen. But what’s done is done.
    Who the hell was hoping that was gonna happen?
    I'd like to know because this the first I'm hearing of it, especially with Ant-Man movies being widely regarded as on the lower tiers in the MCU importance wise.
    Seriously you are vastly overestimating what anyone was ever expecting of Janet in these movies.