Page 86 of 325 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136186 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 4870

Who else is touchy about Tone. No doubt the lighthearted tone Disney has set of the MCU movies will apply to their X-Men movies. I heard Captain Marvel is comedy, solid explanation for the lacklustre trailer of been there, done that.

What becomes of X-Men if MCU makes it a comedy and unrealistically lighthearted for an X-Men movie. X-Men movies are very infamous for their hard and gritty tone. The 100% reverse will no doubt prompt a massive backlash. If they try the drama route, it will bear some identity to Black Panther but what are we supposed to do with that when we already have X-Men movies much superior to Black Panther?
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 09-21-2018 at 01:28 AM.

Black Panther, Civil War, Infinity War, and Winter Soldier all show the MCU can easily tackle more serious subject matter while still providing visual spectacle, having fun, and making bank.

I don't think any of the Fox-Men films are better than BP. Or any of the above listed films, actually (even if I can find flaws with each of them). And definitely none of them made more money or had greater pop cultural impact.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Black Panther, Civil War, Infinity War, and Winter Soldier all show the MCU can easily tackle more serious subject matter while still providing visual spectacle, having fun, and making bank.

I don't think any of the Fox-Men films are better than BP. Or any of the above listed films, actually (even if I can find flaws with each of them). And definitely none of them made more money or had greater pop cultural impact.
    "making money" is the worst argument I can imagine...

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Nice of you to ignore everything else too. But at the end of the day, yes, box office matters for Hollywood films. Just like comic book sales matter for the print side of things.

Those movies were lacking the depth you see in the x-men movies. Disney is not interested in tackling serious subject matters, what they don't mind is mentioning them briefly.

Killmonger is no Magneto (not in any x-men movie)

Black Panther is not Professor X either.

Most fox films are superior to Black Panther. It is easy to note since most fox films can get Oscar talk by just being quality films with numerous layers of depth to them. Black Panther can't do the same. leaving Disney , no choice but to abuse their power by influencing ABC to create a new category.

If Black Panther was an X-Men movie, it would have gotten mixed reviews. The CGI alone will face the same bad criticism X-Men origins got.
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 09-21-2018 at 01:49 AM.

To each their own(opinion). I just watched BP again earlier tonight, and despite my misgivings for their throwing T'Chaka under the bus(and the final CGI fight in the mine), I still loved the film. I can't say that for any of the Fox-Men films. And the box office and cultural impact of BP speaks for itself.

Nice of you to ignore everything else too. But at the end of the day, yes, box office matters for Hollywood films. Just like comic book sales matter for the print side of things.
    Never forget the opening to this movie. A watershed moment for superhero films. A superhero movie opening in Nazi Auschwitz concentration camp, a young boy taking away from his parents.

I can't even find any resemblance to this and the captain marvel trailer, just on tone alone. Captain Marvel looks very shallow, lacklustre and unrealistic. It will be hard to accept X-Men movies that resembles Captain Marvel and Infinity War and not X-Men 1 and Logan anymore.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

All blue eyes, in people of any race, are caused by any of several mutations that disable the melanin-producing cells in the iris. Black people with blue eyes do not have to have Waardenburg syndrome. In fact, there have been discoveries of dark skinned, blue eyed people existing across Europe before there even were white people in Europe, so black people had blue eyes first.
    I did said usually.

Jean's hallucinations were just projections of her own subconscious racist thoughts, not empirical evidence. Storm, Black Panther, Misty Knight and Luke Cage were all drawn with the same basic features and colored the same by Byrne.
    True they were racist thoughts but it’s not like the slave’s facial features were caricature-like and offensive.

Stop trying to wiggle out this. Halle and Alexandra are more symptoms of Hollywood's colorist/racists proclivities, than some accurate portrayal of Ororo as depicted in the comics(where's my 5'11", stunning African goddess?).
    The problem with that claim is that their very first choice for Storm was Angela Bassett. But they didn’t have the budget for her.

Angela Bassett was our first choice for Storm, but her agents wanted more money than we had at the time.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...g-drama-982045

So it wasn’t out of a racist/colorist agenda. It’s just that people in Hollywood tend to not really care about the exact ancestry of an actor. Look at Denzal Washington as Malcom X and Chadwick Boseman as Thurgood Marshall for example. Dark skinned actors playing real life black men who where light skinned.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 09-21-2018 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Never forget the opening to this movie. A watershed moment for superhero films. A superhero movie opening in Nazi Auschwitz concentration camp, a young boy taking away from his parents.
    Such a watershed moment they kept doing it over and over(and over, and over, and over) again. Fox's use of the Holocaust was ultimately crass, epitomized in thongkini Psylocke standing around in Auschwitz.

CM may or may not be lackluster(we haven't seen the movie yet), but Carol is a lackluster character(and yet I still was impressed by the teaser). The MCU has been knocking it out of the park with the left-over IP's that no one bought back in the day. I can't wait to see what they do with the X-Men IP once they finally get to work with the A-list material.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    The problem with that claim is that their very first choice for Storm was Angela Bassett.

Angela Bassett was our first choice for Storm, but her agents wanted more money than we had at the time.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...g-drama-982045

So wasn’t out of a racist/colorist agenda. It’s just that people in Hollywood tends to not really care about the exact ancestry of an actor. Look at Denzal Washington as Malcom and Chadwick Boseman as Thurgood Marshall for example. Dark skinned actors playing real life people where light skinned.
    Hollywood likes its men dark and its women light. This is colorist/racist in origins. And Angela was wise to pass on that piss poor role that was in Singer's X1, especially after the role had been hacked down from its original form when Cameron was producing and Bigelow was going to direct[in the mid 90's]. They all did Strange Days instead(great film).

Spectacular Member

Marvel has done more than ten years white male cis cinema. I haven't forgotten their lack of female characters yet. Now they have to "re-energize" their system with exorcized Blackness to keep their capitalist machine going... I also liked the movie a lot. It has super witty scenes in it. But I personally have an issue with the exorcized over the top Blackness which produces a very weird and problematic image of the African continent. this image is not new and has a long tradition. It is clearly a North American Negritude fantasy. Let's hope there will really be a cultural impact coming from this movie. I think they urgently have to stop this event based logic.

There are beautifully done critical pieces online about this movie who can describe it way better than I can.

Spectacular Member

Hollywood likes its men dark and its women light. This is colorist/racist in origins. And Angela was wise to pass on that piss poor role that was in Singer's X1, especially after the role had been hacked down from its original form when Cameron was producing and Bigelow was going to direct[in the mid 90's]. They did Strange Days instead(great film).

I really liked the vulnerability Storm had in X1 and X2. Not every Black woman needs to be kick ass warrior queen...

I really liked the vulnerability Storm had in X1 and X2. Not every Black woman needs to be kick ass warrior queen...
    But Ororo is.....

Such a watershed moment they kept doing it over and over(and over, and over, and over) again. Fox's use of the Holocaust was ultimately crass, epitomized in thongkini Psylocke standing around in Auschwitz.

CM may or may not be lackluster(we haven't seen the movie yet), but Carol is a lackluster character(and yet I still was impressed by the teaser). The MCU has been knocking it out of the park with the left-over IP's that no one bought back in the day. I can't wait to see what they do with the X-Men IP once they finally get to work with the A-list material.
    The Holocaust was Magneto's story. A back drop for mutant rights. His reasons for doing the things that he did. Someone mentioned in this thread what Homecoming missed. there was no Ben Parker, they are correct. Peter is the person he is today for his Uncle. You always have to have that as a foundation for him. Mutants fighting back their oppressor not wanting to be the next race for extinction after Jews, isn't that the back drop of being a mutant.

So entirely different from Marvel. Marvel has done the same thing over and over again since Iron Man 1. All their movies are the same. The lacklustre reaction to the captain marvel trailer is a reflection of how tiring marvel movies have become not because her character is Lacklustre.

I did tell people to imagine if captain marvel is the marvel xmen trailer? what will be the reaction?

Marvel has done more than ten years white male cis cinema. I haven't forgotten their lack of female characters yet. Now they have to "re-energize" their system with exorcized Blackness to keep their capitalist machine going... I also liked the movie a lot. It has super witty scenes in it. But I personally have an issue with the exorcized over the top Blackness which produces a very weird and problematic image of the African continent. this image is not new and has a long tradition. It is clearly a North American Negritude fantasy. Let's hope there will really be a cultural impact coming from this movie. I think they urgently have to stop this event based logic.

There are beautifully done critical pieces online about this movie who can describe it way better than I can.
    So, tell me what Fox meant by literally blowing up the only two black male X-Men to ever make it to screen, two films in a row? And what does it mean to cast Roberto and Cece with actors with no black-African ancestry for these rare Afro-Latinx characters(after literally dismembering Sunspot with no lines in DoFP with a non-mixed actor in the role, after using Riptide with no lines either in First Class)?