Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
Because Singer( to a lesser degree) and Fox didn't respect the source material. Singer only cared about social commentary and X-men as metaphor minorites and LGBTQ community other than he didn't do the X-men that well and yes X2 and DoFP are great movies but some of that in spite of him and fox not because it is no accident that two movies that most closely resemble comic plotlines are the strongest in the franchise.

The X-men isn't just social commentary doing just one aspect well isn't enough. Fox didn't care about the general storyline of the franchise, Fox didn't about characters major characters like Sabertooth, Colossus, Storm, Kitty, Jubilee, Nightcrawler not being 2 dimensional side characters, They were shame of the comic book aspects like costumes, cosmic elements or silly family connections,They though storyline and characters where interchangeable,etc.

In reality they just wanted do "Heroes" style superhero story heavily grounded in reality just enough elements of the comics to make a fan take a look at it. X-men name was just bait fans while they use the property characters as toy box for writers to attach general scripts to it. I am not saying I am completely right that how I feel about the movies. Something like X-men First Class for me was a good movie but a bad X-men adaption.

Nobody is saying movies have to be one for one retelling of the comics, The Avengers and most of Marvel movies aren't that but these movies carried the spirit of the comics and they weren't ashamed of the source material(except Thor 1).
Why do you keep saying they didn't respect the source material? Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're trying to say because I honestly can't understand why you would think someone would sink hundreds of millions of dollars (over a billion when you consider all films made) into something they don't respect, much less purchase the rights to be able to produce the movie in the first place. I mean are we really saying the don't respect the source because the team didn't rock bright yellow spandex? None of the story lines before X3 had anything to do with the cosmic side of things and by that point the grounded take had worked really well for the franchise and X3 still made the most money of the original trilogy despite being a unique spin on the Dark Phoenix story.

Again, the Fox movies set up the industry so that movies like Iron Man could even be green lit. I just don't think it's fair to look back 20 years later and criticize choices that were made that turned out to be a major reason the MCU exists. People take the MCU seriously because the X-Men movies came out, not in spite of them.