Page 319 of 325 FirstFirst ... 219269309315316317318319320321322323 ... LastLast
Results 4,771 to 4,785 of 4870
    Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by SerCo View Post
    I.... kind of agree. Also most of the popular characters are white, straight and look like super-models. People always talk about how diverse and multicultural the Giant-sized cast is but then ignore that Sunfire left right away and Thunderbird was killed off... leaving a team of mostly white males again.

So this is Marvel's chance to use lesser known, obscure POC characters along with the A-list and give us actual diversity.
    Marvel Studio might just choose to keep Thunderbird and have Sunfire stay. What happened in the comic doesn't necessarily need to happen in the movies.

Fair. But folks tended to get testy when FOX made changes to canon like that. But I suppose they could. Sure.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Fair. But folks tended to get testy when FOX made changes to canon like that. But I suppose they could. Sure.
    Ppl trust Marvel Studio and they're willing to give them a chance because of their track record while Fox destroyed a lot of trust

Fantastic Member

Agree that they could use lesser known characters more, like maybe having Sunfire stick around and not killing Thunderbird right away. I think the problem with them is that their powers are kind of redundant and a bit boring, however. Sunfire is basically the mutant version of Human Torch and Thunderbird is Wolverine without the healing factor and claws pretty much. So I'm just not sure replacing A-list characters with lesser known diverse ones is going to work as well as playing with the majors and maybe race-bending a couple of them for whom their ethnicity is not core to their character. Again, I go with my example of Cyclops as half-Latinx (on his mother's side with an Anglo name like Summers). Much like Laura in 'Logan,' where she was half Latinx. Didn't change the character much at all, but suddenly gave us a more diverse character that Latinx viewers could see themselves in a bit more.

I could see this working for a number of a characters, but even just doing it for a couple would change the dynamic for modern audiences. In addition to Cyclops, perhaps Iceman. He could be black. Would it change him much? And much easier to have him in the film than to try and bring in Bishop and explain him. Unless you change his origin, which I think purist fans would hate more than race-bending. Perhaps not, though.

So I've personally got no issue with race bending a couple of the O5. But if they go the other way and sub out O5 or other A-listers for more diverse characters who never hit big, I'm fine with that too. I just want X-men MCU content sooner than later.
    Yes, I get what you're saying. I personally wouldn't mind race bending some of the original characters but I also understand why some people would have a problem with it (like, making a character black instead of using an actual black character). Anyway, this is the MCU and they can get away with it with mostly everything.

And a latino Scott Summers would be cute lol

Quote Originally Posted by SerCo View Post
    Yeah I was thinking about that too. I wanted to say Bishop but then I remember he was introduced right after Claremont left. There's Psylocke I guess but that's more... cultural appropiation than diversity.
    I guess I forgot about Jubilee. So its Jubes and Forge

It's like Fox didn't even bother to really look at the canon in the first place. Feige makes all kinds of changes in the MCU, but he also displays deep knowledge and reverence for what came before. Even when they change things, they tend to be for the better(not 100% of course, but overall satisfying). I think there's room for adding a Chinese cast member to the team(a reconfigured Xorn, Sway, Jubilee, or even someone new?), or otherwise giving greater emphasis to Proudstar and Sunfire.

But honestly, even if they just give Storm her proper due, they are going to be breaking valuable ground in terms of representation, and even if the rest of the team are all white, at least they are diverse in terms of national origins, religions, and temperament/skills. The Avengers first cast was all white other than Fury, and mostly American other than Thor and BW, and they were very much homogeneous as dudebros/science dude bros. Even after introducing more diverse characters, they still focused Endgame on this original cast.

Xorn, Wolverine, Storm, Marvel Girl, Cyclops, Proudstar, and Nightcrawler, for example, would still be a very diverse main team, and you could even cast Kurt with a Romani German, for a little extra umph. You could add people like Gateway or Manifold, Marisol/Flourish/Creep and Rictor, or anyone else if you want to explore another niche, as they could be inserted with the core Giant Size cast, giving a new dimension to things. I love Piotr, and feel like he still hasn't been done right onscreen, even if he is a bit more shallow of a character, he's a fantastic visual.

I feel like we need to see how The Eternals turns out. That will help us understand how much diversity, and how much world building an MCU film can pull off at once. In some ways, it's a great beta-test for the Giant Size cast and the mutant concept.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Ha. You’re like me about Wolverine, but with Storm. As long as they get her right, you don’t care as much about the rest.

Ha. You’re like me about Wolverine, but with Storm. As long as they get her right, you don’t care as much about the rest.
    Hahaha, not too far off brother! I do think they are the two most important ones, and everything else recedes and can be changed as long as you get to their Claremontian cores!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

https://twitter.com/MCU_Direct/statu...734612992?s=20

Any thoughts on this??

Sorry I dont know how to make it preview...but its basically Janelle Monae bidding for the role of Storm
    Last edited by BroHomo; 07-07-2020 at 08:10 PM.
    GrindrStone(D)

When it comes to race-bending, there are three characters I personally wouldn't mind being race-bent:

Xavier - Stewart was so iconic in the role that trying something different might actually be for the better. I'd make him Latin American, "Xavier" is a Spanish name so there's at least a precedent for it.

Magma - I'd just make her Afro-Brazillian like in Evo.

Betsy - I'd make her bi-racial, a half-sister to Brian and Jamie with her mother being Japanese. As for Kwannon, I'd make her Chinese and introduce her as Lady Mandarin. To anyone suggesting that she should be the Psylocke of the MCU instead of Betsy...GTFO.

Agree that they could use lesser known characters more, like maybe having Sunfire stick around and not killing Thunderbird right away. I think the problem with them is that their powers are kind of redundant and a bit boring, however. Sunfire is basically the mutant version of Human Torch and Thunderbird is Wolverine without the healing factor and claws pretty much. So I'm just not sure replacing A-list characters with lesser known diverse ones is going to work as well as playing with the majors and maybe race-bending a couple of them for whom their ethnicity is not core to their character. Again, I go with my example of Cyclops as half-Latinx (on his mother's side with an Anglo name like Summers). Much like Laura in 'Logan,' where she was half Latinx. Didn't change the character much at all, but suddenly gave us a more diverse character that Latinx viewers could see themselves in a bit more.

I could see this working for a number of a characters, but even just doing it for a couple would change the dynamic for modern audiences. In addition to Cyclops, perhaps Iceman. He could be black. Would it change him much? And much easier to have him in the film than to try and bring in Bishop and explain him. Unless you change his origin, which I think purist fans would hate more than race-bending. Perhaps not, though.

So I've personally got no issue with race bending a couple of the O5. But if they go the other way and sub out O5 or other A-listers for more diverse characters who never hit big, I'm fine with that too. I just want X-men MCU content sooner than later.
    I don’t see the point of racebending when the X-Men have so many options of characters that originated as minorities. I’m personally against racebending (when there are other options for diversity) because it’s often poorly done and it gives the bigots a chance to come out of the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I don’t see the point of racebending when the X-Men have so many options of characters that originated as minorities. I’m personally against racebending (when there are other options for diversity) because it’s often poorly done and it gives the bigots a chance to come out of the cut.
    Well The X-Men can't even get their minority characters represented correctly in movies...so maybe it'll equal out? lol
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I can agree with this sound logic and reason here.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    https://twitter.com/MCU_Direct/statu...734612992?s=20

Any thoughts on this??

Sorry I dont know how to make it preview...but its basically Janelle Monae bidding for the role of Storm
    Don’t know her so can’t say whether she’d do the part justice, but here’s a BossLogic piece I saw of her as Storm beneath that tweet: https://twitter.com/Bosslogic/status...42048282533888

Definitely looks the part to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Well The X-Men can't even get their minority characters represented correctly in movies...so maybe it'll equal out? lol
    Yeah the Fox movies were not about it. They couldn’t even do justice to the white X-women.