Page 320 of 325 FirstFirst ... 220270310316317318319320321322323324 ... LastLast
Results 4,786 to 4,800 of 4870

I’d make Charles Xavier Farouk an British-Egyptian. Enrique “Hank” McCoy a half-Chicano Chicagoan. Jewish Jean Grey. Iranian Nightcrawler.

Why to race swap? Casted actor will play character for next 10-15 years. Maybe it will be the only actor that I will see playing my favorite character in my life. No one knows how long we live. So why race must be changed and not used like it in comics? If they want Egyptian, Chicagoan or Iranian then just create them in comics and then add to movies.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Why to race swap? Casted actor will play character for next 10-15 years. Maybe it will be the only actor that I will see playing my favorite character in my life. No one knows how long we live. So why race must be changed and not used like it in comics? If they want Egyptian, Chicagoan or Iranian then just create them in comics and then add to movies.
    It increases diversity in media, and provides new opportunities for minority actors they wouldn't get. Comic books are behind other media, like tv shows and movies, with diversity so they're playing catch up. Especially for older characters, like the 05. This provides the opportunities of characters as if they are made today and today is vastly more open to diversity then in the past. For example, if the 05 were created today Iceman would have been gay from the start and the group wouldn't just be white.

05 are not created today. Source material should be respected. If they want other races then just use more of Thunderbird or Sunfire, etc. It is normal to give minority characters bigger roles.

Astonishing Member

05 are not created today. Source material should be respected. If they want other races then just use more of Thunderbird or Sunfire, etc. It is normal to give minority characters bigger roles.
    Their adaptions are, and the source material be respected while doing this. It's constantly changed to fit with the time period it's made in. They don't need to choose between doing this and adding Thunderbird and Sunfire, do it all.

Edit: Not in the 60's it wasn't.

Very few white comic characters are truly set as being that way. The ones that are tend to be from (to the American audience) foriegn countries - the Rasputins, Banshee, and such are harder to change than Xavier and the O5 - Scott's defining background traits are being an orphaned military brat, for example.

Outside of Steve Rogers, the only characters who might change much are those with bigoted parents, and even that depends on what type of bigotry they have.

With Cyclops the 2 big things are to make sure the actor has romantic chemistry with whoever is playing Jean Grey (solved with casting and moderate screentime), and the ability to convey emotion to the audience with his eyes covered. That second one is essential, and MUST take precedence over minor quibbles like what ethnic group the actor belongs too. Or even the gender of the actor, to be honest. I'd rather see Cyclops hit with rule 63 in the MCU than see someone who looks like they stepped off the page but can't act with those limitations.
    Dark does not mean deep.

No reason to think that actor who looks like they stepped off the page won`t be able to act. Every actor must do a justice to character no matter what race is casted.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Or even the gender of the actor, to be honest. I'd rather see Cyclops hit with rule 63 in the MCU than see someone who looks like they stepped off the page but can't act with those limitations.
    God forbid. There's absolutely no reason to genderbend anyone in a franchise that's already almost 50/50 split between male and female characters.

No reason to think that actor who looks like they stepped off the page won`t be able to act. Every actor must do a justice to character no matter what race is casted.
    True and doesn't mean someone can do equally as well+add some diversity what's wrong with that? Besides audiences preconceived notions? Buuut it is a slippery slope
    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    God forbid. There's absolutely no reason to genderbend anyone in a franchise that's already almost 50/50 split between male and female characters.
    Well theres already SheHulk Wolverine (Laura) Captain Britain...Are their any examples of male superheroes taken on the mantle or name once held by a female hero?
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    True and doesn't mean someone can do equally as well+add some diversity what's wrong with that? Besides audiences preconceived notions? Buuut it is a slippery slope

Well theres already SheHulk Wolverine (Laura) Captain Britain...Are their any examples of male superheroes taken on the mantle or name once held by a female hero?
    My point wasn't so much diversity for diversity's sake, but to avoid some tool who looks the part but can't pull it off outside of a poster.

If, for example, the choice for Cyclops (or nearly anyone else, to be honest) was between Idris Elba and the schmuck from Gymkata I'm insisting on Idris Elba every time.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    https://twitter.com/MCU_Direct/statu...734612992?s=20

Any thoughts on this??

Sorry I dont know how to make it preview...but its basically Janelle Monae bidding for the role of Storm
    As much as I love her, I don't see her in the role. She doesn't have that regal, otherworldly gravitas that the actress playing Storm should have. She looks to much like a regular human...too pedestrian, with all due respect.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    She doesn't have that regal, otherworldly gravitas that the actress playing Storm should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Very few white comic characters are truly set as being that way. The ones that are tend to be from (to the American audience) foriegn countries - the Rasputins, Banshee, and such are harder to change than Xavier and the O5 - Scott's defining background traits are being an orphaned military brat, for example.

Outside of Steve Rogers, the only characters who might change much are those with bigoted parents, and even that depends on what type of bigotry they have.

With Cyclops the 2 big things are to make sure the actor has romantic chemistry with whoever is playing Jean Grey (solved with casting and moderate screentime), and the ability to convey emotion to the audience with his eyes covered. That second one is essential, and MUST take precedence over minor quibbles like what ethnic group the actor belongs too. Or even the gender of the actor, to be honest. I'd rather see Cyclops hit with rule 63 in the MCU than see someone who looks like they stepped off the page but can't act with those limitations.
    You mean chemestry with whoever is playing Emma Frost, right?

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    now when we talk about RANGE . I think this was a reminder from the universe that I still need to watch her hbo (?) series

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    now when we talk about RANGE . I think this was a reminder from the universe that I still need to watch her hbo (?) series
    I try to imagine other actresses and I just can’t. Michaela has such a presence onscreen, she’s so unusually beautiful, the camera loves her face so much... everyone else just fucking pales. There are models and actresses who are more typical but they don’t have her level of intensity or charisma. I don’t think anyone BESIDES her could carry a mutant action film. We need a RDJR for the X-Men and just say no to Wolverines.