Page 188 of 325 FirstFirst ... 88138178184185186187188189190191192198238288 ... LastLast
Results 2,806 to 2,820 of 4870

The one thing I want from the casting of X-characters is for them to stop making Professor X and Magneto British. Much love for both Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen, but as a general principle, there's no good reason why somebody from New York and somebody from Germany would have British accents.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    I'm unclear what you mean by the last sentence? I think it's imperative for Marvel, in the first movie, to have a villain that the team has to rally around each other to defeat. They need to get right what Fox got wrong from the start.
    I meant that I don't know if Juggernaut works as the sole villain for the movie. He might be a better fit as someone's sidekick.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Jiggynut should have one amazing fight with either the X-Men like in his first appearance or Spider-Man like in Stern's run. Not a whole movie.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    The one thing I want from the casting of X-characters is for them to stop making Professor X and Magneto British. Much love for both Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen, but as a general principle, there's no good reason why somebody from New York and somebody from Germany would have British accents.
    The original films worked with Shakespearean actors, and the prequels were supposed to have characters who could become Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart in the future. Everyone had also wanted to cast Patrick Stewart as Professor X around the time of the original (and it worked out well.)

In the comics, Xavier did spend a lot of time in London and Oxford.

That said, getting American and German actors for the MCU version could be one way to distinguish them from the Fox takes.

Thinking of potential casting, if they're going with a younger (pushing 40) Professor X Anthony Carrigan (Barry; the Mist from The Flash; Victor Zsazz from Gotham) could be a good fit.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I meant that I don't know if Juggernaut works as the sole villain for the movie. He might be a better fit as someone's sidekick.
    Why? He's totally legit as a one man threat against a team of X-men, especially a fledgling one.

Why? He's totally legit as a one man threat against a team of X-men, especially a fledgling one.
    Juggernaut does not have a complex reason for what he does " He hates Xavier" and has work with Black Tom Cassidy commiting generic supervillain crimes. He is not a villain that is going to make for a compelling movie. I tend give slight pass when they use him as part of group even though he is a team beater,He really does come off as henchman.

For the movies I think they should put a little more care into the "ANDs". Magneto AND Brotherhood/Acolytes . I mean Fabian Cortez,Amelia Vought, Exodus, Frenzy, Blob, Pyro, Avalanche,etc they are plenty of villains to play around with to provide interesting match ups. Mr. Sinister AND Marauders/ Nasty Boys , Apocalypse AND his four horsemen or Clan Akkaba, Strye AND Mutant Liberation Front. I don't know why Fox kept using X-men we want to see as X-men as villains or forcing together villains because they are popular one like Sabertooth,Callisto, Juggernaut ,Mystique,Selene,Riptide,Azazel,etc. In Dark Phoenix they used Red Lotus when they could have used Senyka(energy whips) and pretty much done the same thing,They could also have used Scanner instead of "Selene". The names from elsewhere didn't help the movie and using smaller villians is shout out to the fanboys.

The X-men have never generally been in compelling fights in movies(dark phoenix is slight exception) because they have freaking Toad and Mystique fighting Storm, Jean Grey and Cyclops. When instead we could have had Exodus vs Jean Grey, Eric Kleinstock vs Cyclops and Unuscione vs Storm which would be more interesting to see on screen.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 06-19-2019 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Master Mold on Krakoa. Giant robot assembly plant built into the side of a floating mutant volcano.
    I wouldn't mind using the Krakoa name for a random military controlled island that was building Sentinels/Master Mold. I wouldn't even mind using Krakoa in more or less its original form as a nuclear weapons testing experiment gone wrong. But I wouldn't do the two together at once.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Juggernaut does not have a complex reason for what he does " He hates Xavier" and has work with Black Tom Cassidy commiting generic supervillain crimes. He is not a villain that is going to make for a compelling movie. .
    I think you're making the mistake to view him as canon-only. The wonderful thing the MCU has done time and time again is make their villains more dynamic. Vulture is an outstanding example. Hell, Thanos is more than just a dude who wants to get some.

Juggernaut's personal bend with his brother is a perfect way to get the team to rally around the Prof and hone their skills. He's one of the key villains that, comics and other media, has always required a team approach.

Krakoa is another. Proteus. I think team vs. team type of battles as you describe should wait.

Weapon X has been done a lot, but they make sense as villains for the first film.

It gives a bit of an excuse for why mutants haven't been mentioned (shady government organization is keeping their existence secret), allows the introduction of future X-Men as antagonists, gets Wolverine involved in the main story, and can connect to the larger Marvel Universe (it would fit the Osborn rumors.)

He doesn't really have longer arcs, and he's been working with an ally (typically Black Tom) since he first fought the international X-Men in the early 70s.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    In Claremont canon, Shadow King is the reason Charles formed the X-Men, as their fight in Cairo after little Ororo picked his pocked was the first time he met other mutants, and the first time he had to fight an evil mutant. So SK is extremely important in this regard. I would take SK even further and have him be the reason mutants are feared and hated so much(in comparison to other superpowered humans). Claremont wasn't able to finish the Shadow King/Muir Island Saga the way he wanted towards the end of his first run, but even in the bits that made it to page, you can see he sees SK as a great evil in the hearts and minds of men.

Also, while Xavier is integral to SK stories, he does not have to be the only important character involved. With his telepathy and propensity to corrupt, you can explore all of the X-Men's mindscapes visually, which makes for great character development for them all. Properly played, SK could be their great nemesis, pushing and pulling from the shadows until things explode(over the course of many movies).
    Any major recommendations for Shadow King stories? I'm not very familiar with him aside from his first appearance, which I understand is different from later takes.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I still Proteus would be a good kick off villain. He is scary and pure evil and would really freak normal humans out with him jumping from body to body burning them out as he goes.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I still Proteus would be a good kick off villain. He is scary and pure evil and would really freak normal humans out with him jumping from body to body burning them out as he goes.

Oh, great choice. Even better if he is Xavier's son, because it would mean the guy supposed to teach the next generation can't even teach/control his own son, adding to the fear and paranoia.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Any major recommendations for Shadow King stories? I'm not very familiar with him aside from his first appearance, which I understand is different from later takes.
    His origin in Uncanny 117's "Psi War" is certainly a great place to start.

X-Men: True Friends is an obscure story featuring Kitty and Rachel that shows SK in WW2 era using arcane human sacrifice magic in an attempt to overthrow the British monarchy while allied with the Nazis.

New Mutants has some good SK stories, primarily with Karma(mostly circa NM 30-34).

It's a long story with fits and bursts, but Claremont's SK 'saga' is sprinkled in through Uncanny 253-280.

I didn't think much of it, but there's a SK story from the 90's also called Psi War which takes place after Xavier lost his powers following the Onslaught situation where Psylocke ends up having to trick him to lock him away in her mind. X-Men (vol 2) late 70's. Claremont picks back up on that a bit in his X-Treme X-men 2001 annual.

There are several later SK stories, but other than the extremely fun X-Men: Worlds Apart featuring Storm during her marriage to BP, none really are much to talk about. Claremont's earliest SK stories in Uncanny and NM are the best. But with a slight bit of reconditioning, SK could be great on the big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Oh, great choice. Even better if he is Xavier's son, because it would mean the guy supposed to teach the next generation can't even teach/control his own son, adding to the fear and paranoia.
    I really liked Millar's version, basically combining Legion and Proteus into one, but I'd rather not do that to the MCU Xavier. I like in the comics how Gabriella basically hid David from Charles, and she didn't even tell him the truth at first when she called him in to help David. That NM story is amazing. I don't really like the modern version of Legion/David in comparison.