Page 195 of 325 FirstFirst ... 95145185191192193194195196197198199205245295 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,925 of 4870

Characters like Iceman needs quips. And people obviously don’t mind since people are still tuning in to watch MCU movies.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Even Days of Future Past had its moments of humor and nonsense. Heck, the central plot is using time travel to prevent giant robots from ruling the future.
    Days of Future Past had nothing compared to the derailment of Fat Thor. Days of future past fully embraced dystopianility. No time or chance to peacefully have kids, throw parties and become successful professors. The only thing worse than the Robots from Days Of Future Past was Android 17 and Android 18 from Dragon Ball Z and the Amazonians from Flashpoint.

There's this old quote from the Powers That Be about how the humor is used to get you invested in the characters, so you're rooting for them when the drama starts
    What powers that be is that? Days of future past, Back to the Future 1, Minority Report, Star Trek, Flashpoint, Dragon Ball Z and The Terminator 2 writers must have never heard of such power, since none of these films have the juvenile humor of the MCU.

Heck, some of the best character moments have involved humor (like Rocket and Thor on their way to get the Thanos-killing weapon in Infinity War).
    Infinity War is not an X-Men movie. There is another person's work that support the beliefs that humor can be immature when not used correctly. One particular person is JK Rowling, Her most successful writings were children's books.

Or watching most Pixar movies, which are both funnier and arguably more mature then the Fox X-Men series.
    The classic Disney era had the maturity of the X-Men series. I enjoyed Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse surprisingly more than Pixar's Incredibles 2 thanks to the maturity of Spider-Verse. It beat out Incredibles 2 for best animated film at the Oscars, a rare for a Pixar movie to loose out in that category. Far from Home is struggling to get out of the shadows of not just the first Spiderman film series but Spider-Verse as well. This is not surprising as far from home leans more on the Pixar side of things. Cartoons arguably more mature than X-Men movies are Japanese amines. cowboy bebop, street fighter, dragon ball Z. The last original X-Men movie was Noir, I don't see Pixar in any conversation.

Where do you go from X-Men Noir? constant MCU quips? No. MCU has to embrace mature Marvel movies. If they don't, they will be making a different kind of mistake Fox made with the nonsense reboot of X-Men Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix. A different kind of mistake but still a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    They should drop the quips for X-Men. Thor already has the quips. Its hurting their Spiderman films. Many of the Jokes didn't land in Far from Home to the many who have seen the film. The last X-Men film in the oringal series was Logan Noir. A franchise does not go from Noir to immature quips. While I personally think the time travel plot was the biggest problem with Endgame, Far Thor has gotten the most backlash, meaning the quips are becoming more annoying in MCU movies.
    Nah they're gonna be part of the MCU so they should fit the universe. Now there are some characters who don't really quip, but most of them are pretty funny. Cyclops and Storm are the only ones I can't really see as quipping. Pretty much everyone else I can see fitting that role

You can't compare it to old X-Men movies or even the comics. The MCU is its own universe. If people want a straight recreation of the books, they're gonna be disappointed. I'd say they should stick to the source material in that case. If we're seeing X-Men, we should see it in the MCU style.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Alot of the X-Men are pretty funny. Nightcrawler should have a very good sense of humor while Colossus should have a very dry sense of humor. I can see Wolverine having a dark sense of humor. Characters like Cyclops and Storm are better suited for the straight person role. Beast used to have a great sense of humor and was always cracking jokes before Morrison came along and turned him into a perpetual sadsack.

gimme quipcrawler
    gimme quip mccoy
    gimme jean quip
    gimme scott attempting to quip but looking like a dumbass
    gimme unexpected storm quips
    gimme quip quippington the third
    icequip is required by law

QUIPS ARE CRITICAL
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Black Panther was the straight man his whole movie, despite M'Baku, Nakia and Okoye being the quipsters, I think the MCU can handle protagonists not doing jokes.

I think most of the jokes on Endgame landed pretty well, without breaking the immersion. They most likely can pull the same with the X-Men. Particularly with characters like Beast, Nightcrawler and Iceman around.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

If even Steve Rogers had some quips, I don't see why Scott or Ororo wouldn't.

Mighty Member

Storm should not quip. She should scream her dialogue like the 90s cartoon to make up for the nearly 20 years of being silent in the FoX-Men movies.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Storm should not quip. She should scream her dialogue like the 90s cartoon to make up for the nearly 20 years of being silent in the FoX-Men movies.
    ororo shou monologue like she is a pure goddess

Nothing sinful about quips in any movie. The quips have to be contained for certain movies. It should not get out of hands that it destroys a good portion of the film or messes with the tone. The first DCEU films failed to have the balance by having no quips, DCEU became too emo. MCU mostly fails the balance by having too many quips, their films got looked at as the least mature Marvel films.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I want all of Scott's quips to be bad.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 07-08-2019 at 05:06 PM.

BANNED

We're worried there might be too many quips.

At least the movies will be fun and not suck fests.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    We're worried there might be too many quips.

At least the movies will be fun and not suck fests.
    yep. And some good continuity, characters more like the comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    yep. And some good continuity, characters more like the comics
    I enjoyed the humor of the X-books. It's part of why I love them so much.

Though I'd posted this already. What the heck? Oh, well

Days of Future Past had nothing compared to the derailment of Fat Thor.
    Uh...

Days of future past fully embraced dystopianility. No time or chance to peacefully have kids, throw parties and become successful professors.
    It was a different story.

The only thing worse than the Robots from Days Of Future Past was Android 17 and Android 18 from Dragon Ball Z and the Amazonians from Flashpoint.
    No idea what you're talking about.

What powers that be is that? Days of future past, Back to the Future 1, Minority Report, Star Trek, Flashpoint, Dragon Ball Z and The Terminator 2 writers must have never heard of such power, since none of these films have the juvenile humor of the MCU.
    Wrong, Back to the Future and Star Trek embraced it. You don't want to argue with me on the latter; Star Trek is one thing I know forwards and backwards. You want another example, Star Wars.

For reference, the quote in question is:
    "[The audience laughing at the humor is] the only sign you get when you're in the dark theater that they are with you...I also believe that laughter is the way you hook the audience. Then you can scare them. Then you can touch them deeper than they were expecting to in a film about a tree and a raccoon and aliens that don't understand metaphors. Humor is the secret into the audience's other ranges of emotions." - Kevin Feige
    Feige and the MCU's success record speaks for itself on the accuracy of the observation.

Infinity War is not an X-Men movie.
    Nice red herring.

There is another person's work that support the beliefs that humor can be immature when not used correctly. One particular person is JK Rowling, Her most successful writings were children's books.
    You're not helping your case here by citing stuff that disproves your point.

The classic Disney era had the maturity of the X-Men series.
    Which classic era we taking here?

I enjoyed Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse surprisingly more than Pixar's Incredibles 2 thanks to the maturity of Spider-Verse. It beat out Incredibles 2 for best animated film at the Oscars, a rare for a Pixar movie to loose out in that category.
    I think Spider-Verse deserved it on all counts. (Incredibles II was good and made itself more then just a sequel, but it was "just" another solid movie over something groundbreaking).

Funny, though, Spider-Verse has more in common with the MCU and Pixar then with the Fox X-Men movies in terms of construction, emotional depth, and, yes, making humor a key component. Puzzle that one out.

Far from Home is struggling to get out of the shadows of not just the first Spiderman film series but Spider-Verse as well. This is not surprising as far from home leans more on the Pixar side of things.
    Every Spider-Man movie struggles to out of the shadow of the Raimi movies. The ASM ones couldn't, Spider-Verse embraced the older movies, and the MCU just does its own thing.

(Also, this is Spider-Man. Of course his stories will lean to the Pixar side of things. That's the character.)

Cartoons arguably more mature than X-Men movies are Japanese amines. cowboy bebop, street fighter, dragon ball Z.
    And the old Batman cartoon. And Pixar; double-check their filmography sometime.

The last original X-Men movie was Noir, I don't see Pixar in any conversation.
    What does an alternate version of a movie from a few years ago have to do with Pixar allegedly not being mature in their storytelling?

Where do you go from X-Men Noir? constant MCU quips? No.
    The mutual success of Logan and the MCU indicates you can. Besides, a five+ years break will help any kind of transition. (Also, I recall Logan having plenty of funny moments in it, despite being the grittiest of them all. Heck, I find the quiet moments stick out more then the R-rated stuff.

Thing is, Logan was mature, not because it was telling a serious story or because it had R-rated violence and all that. It was mature because of how it explored the characters and thematics. That stuff can be found in both the most serious dramas and the the most light-hearted comedies. You want to prove that the MCU is immature in its storytelling? Stop complaining about it having lots of jokes and focus on the nuts and bolts that actually matter in regards to the question.

MCU has to embrace mature Marvel movies. If they don't, they will be making a different kind of mistake Fox made with the nonsense reboot of X-Men Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix. A different kind of mistake but still a mistake.
    You really don't know what the word "mature" means, do you?

I know I've had this conversation before. Heck, I think it might've been both of us. Weren't you banned again before?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)