Page 2 of 325 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I read somewhere that the rights to Marvel characters that Fox owned would transfer back to Marvel upon the completion of the sale. Is that true?
    That's what I asked in the OP. I'd love to know because that's all we really care about anyway. X-Men and FF.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Disney has also been facing backlash in the past for their heavy-handedness with the fanbase (they may ben even WORSE than Lucasfilm ever was in that regard).
    Worse, they fought a Trumpian war with a critical media publication last year.

I read somewhere that the rights to Marvel characters that Fox owned would transfer back to Marvel upon the completion of the sale. Is that true?
    No, because 20th Century Fox owns the rights (which is just changing parent companies), not 21st Century Fox.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Jeez that's A LOT of money. But Disney has too much riding on this deal not to make a counter-offer. Should be an interesting next couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    No, because 20th Century Fox owns the rights (which is just changing parent companies), not 21st Century Fox.
    So Disney/Marvel Studios would need to negotiate a Sony-like deal with Comcast.

BANNED

So Disney/Marvel Studios would need to negotiate a Sony-like deal with Comcast.
    It depends on how much autonomy Fox is granted under Comcast. It's not like Rupert Murdoch was in charge of those negotiations up until now.

After Dark Phoenix who knows. I think it's relatively safe to say that will be coming out. The deal, even if approved, won't be enacted until next summer from what I gather from the sources I've read. Disney has already brought up keeping Deadpool in much the same way, so Deadpool 3 will be fine. New Mutants I'm more concerned about, I think it's very possible that, given timing, that could end up being taken off the theater route but at very least we'd see a home release. Once Disney has the rights they will want some time to prepare the X-Men films and how continuity will cross over, if at all. My guess? Avengers Phase 4 will be in full swing in 2020, but will also have the Avengers/New Avengers (I'm calling it now) going in their downswing. Just in time for the X-Men films to become the highlight and focus of the Disney MCU. I would expect a movie no earlier than 2021 and no later than 2022 - not including Deadpool 3 of course which is its own unique situation.

All this takes into the assumption that Disney will end up owning the rights. If Comcast gets the right it's a lot less clear what would likely happen. Could the series continue on or be rebooted? To be honest, I wouldn't even attempt to guess at this point, and that even includes Deadpool 3. Granted Comcast execs would likely know that's a solid commercial success right there and would keep the film planned to come out, but that's not official of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Yeah, Disney is not going to overbid that.
    Media analyst Michael Nathanson seems to think they will.

“We continue to believe that Disney has the superior balance sheet, cost of debt, equity and rationale to emerge victorious over Comcast in a bidding war,” Nathanson writes. “The question is will Disney’s board and management go to the mat on this transaction? We think the answer is yes.”

https://deadline.com/2018/06/comcast...er-1202409389/

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    After Dark Phoenix who knows. I think it's relatively safe to say that will be coming out. The deal, even if approved, won't be enacted until next summer from what I gather from the sources I've read. Disney has already brought up keeping Deadpool in much the same way, so Deadpool 3 will be fine. New Mutants I'm more concerned about, I think it's very possible that, given timing, that could end up being taken off the theater route but at very least we'd see a home release. Once Disney has the rights they will want some time to prepare the X-Men films and how continuity will cross over, if at all. My guess? Avengers Phase 4 will be in full swing in 2020, but will also have the Avengers/New Avengers (I'm calling it now) going in their downswing. Just in time for the X-Men films to become the highlight and focus of the Disney MCU. I would expect a movie no earlier than 2021 and no later than 2022 - not including Deadpool 3 of course which is its own unique situation.

All this takes into the assumption that Disney will end up owning the rights. If Comcast gets the right it's a lot less clear what would likely happen. Could the series continue on or be rebooted? To be honest, I wouldn't even attempt to guess at this point, and that even includes Deadpool 3. Granted Comcast execs would likely know that's a solid commercial success right there and would keep the film planned to come out, but that's not official of course.
    Ryan Reynolds is more focused on X-Force than Deadpool 3. I don’t see them making X-Men films for sometime if Disney owns Fox.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-13-2018 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    They have no future. No matters who keeps the rights, the superhero trend is going to die after avengers 4 and people will be tired of the whole thing after that.
    Yeah keep holding your breath on that one. People have been predicting that since X-3. Twelve years later they’re still predicting it. Superheroes are too adaptable for that dress it in the trappings of a new genre and its fresh again. Just like Sci Fi which was going to die after Return of the Jedi in 83. 35 years later Sci Fi is still going strong too.

BANNED

Fox Responds to Comcast’s Offer to Outbid Disney

https://www.cbr.com/disney-comcast-s...ampaign=CBR-TW

Spectacular Member Wolvie valley's Avatar

The X-men will enter hiatus regardless due to completing a round trip
    Last edited by Wolvie valley; 06-14-2018 at 06:00 AM.

I did like the dig Fox made about the Comcast bid being "unsolicited" Disney is definitely going to off their own higher bid this is about more than X-Men, Deadpool, and FF it's about Fox's catalog which Disney wants it wants it for the future and streaming which they know is the future. Also there are some personal things here to consider

1: Disney HATES Comcast since they tried this same thing with buying Disney in 2004 so they want to beat Comcast.

2: Murdoch wanted Sky and Comcast spoiling that has to sting and it's fresh that was going to be the legacy at the end of his career just as this merge is for Iger both probably are seething and will want to stop Comcast this isn't as ugly as CBS and Viacom but it's probably close.

So popcorn anyone?

Last edited by Jokerz79; 06-13-2018 at 10:31 PM.

I still can't get over the fact that all these articles never say one thing about the rights for X-Men and FF not being transferable. Where did that rumor originate and is that all it is? Surely with 65b on the line Comcast would know if it wasn't getting the X-Men ahead of time...so it stands to reason that there is no such clause in some old contract from the 90's Marvel sellout.

Grace Randolph broke down the whole "love triangle" pretty well. Here's her video with the breakdown posted before the AT&T/Time Warner merger. In this video she explains the Fox owned properties.

Last edited by Peanutsinspace; 06-13-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Aaand here's the video after the merger was announced.