Page 212 of 325 FirstFirst ... 112162202208209210211212213214215216222262312 ... LastLast
Results 3,166 to 3,180 of 4870
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    There’s nothing in Phase IV that I’m going to see in theaters, and I’ll pass on all the Disney+ shows most likely. I mean, Eternals and Shang Chi? Doctor Strange was okay but I didn’t love it.

Blade will get me back in the theater, but that’s not until Phase V.
    I'm hesitant to say I'll see it in the theater, but they could convince me with how they build the stories through Disney TV.

Its so ill minded to say what you will or won't go see. When you have no idea, how it will turn out or how important it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    So then popularity is irrelevant?
    If we are still talking about a movie 3 years after its release in a very positive light, that is a popular film. It’s a no brainier X-Men movies will make billions now they are in the MCU but does X-Men really want to be Ant-Man and the Wasp/Endgame or Logan? That's a no brainier too. If an X-Men movie just copies of GOTG or Ant-Man and makes 2 billion dollars would it be a more popular ''X-'Men'' movie than X2.

MCU has a lucrative ink of taking nothing and turning it into a billion dollar franchise but the lasting impact of MCU movies is little.
    Logan more so than The Dark knight is a benchmark for comic films. I don't think TDK would have made as much money without Heath Ledger. What is Ant-Man and the Wasp now? Its another quickly forgotten movie like most and if not all MCU movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    If Logan was PG 13, it wouldn't have necessarily made more money because it would be a completely different movie.

Also, the previous two movies were considered terrible and quickly forgotten, while Logan was one of the most acclaimed movies of the year and got a Best Adapted Screenplay nom, which neither The Dark Knight nor Black Panther did.
    Black Panther was nominated for Best Picture though most think it was the Oscars trolling us.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 07-25-2019 at 03:48 AM.

MCU movies have little staying power? So Endgame becoming the highest grossing movie besides GWTW is just a footnote then?

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    MCU movies have little staying power? So Endgame becoming the highest grossing movie besides GWTW is just a footnote then?
    Yeah, but like, out of 20+ movies, not all of them were like that! Unlike Fox, where movies like Wolverine, Wolverine Origins, Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix were mega hits with lots of staying power...

I think a lot of the solo movies come and go and are forgettable. The big team-up, Avengers movies, I feel different about those. I am burned out on the MCU and I was blown away at how good and emotional and masterful at coordinating so many different characters and plots Endgame was. I respect Endgame, but I do feel your average solo MCU movie (the Ant-mans, the Dr. Strange's) are pretty generic (they're safe and enjoyable enough to watch once and they get people in theaters and that's a credit to them) and come and go with little staying power. There are exceptions to this rule; the original Ironman film, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Winter Soldier. But compare Tobey Maguire's Spider-man and Spider-man 2 to Spider-man Homecoming. Two of those feel like movies and one of those feels like just another commercial with a little bit of build up for the next Avengers movie

I'm actually excited for the Disney+ shows because I think that's a better method for handling some of these stories and some of these characters. Do I want to watch a jam-packed 2.5 hour Captain American 4 movie with so much crammed into it about Falcon and Winter Soldier learning how to fill the void of Cap being gone or would I rather watch a better paced 8 episode mini-series about this? I think the mini-series with more room to breathe and cover this stuff is better

Edit: I am surprised by how much love Logan is getting. I feel like the final act of the movie is awful. I think Logan is absolutely great until spoilers:
    Charles dies and it's just Logan wandering through the wilderness with the little girl fighting an evil clone of himself
    end of spoilers. I don't know how Logan is praised so highly when the final 45 minutes are so generic and empty.
    Last edited by Super-Cyke; 07-25-2019 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Yeah, but like, out of 20+ movies, not all of them were like that! Unlike Fox, where movies like Wolverine, Wolverine ..
    Magneto, Magneto, Magneto was worse.

Origins, Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix were mega hits with lots of staying power.
    In an alternate reality , this must be true. It should give Kinberg some peace of mind.

Endgame would be remembered for that, like Avatar was. that's a financial record. records are meant to be broken. Records does not mean a movie has any staying power that is remembered on a daily basis as a patriarch of filmmaking. Neither Avatar and Endgame pushed the genre they were trying to tackle. Juvenile movies like Avatar, Endgame, star wars 7 (usa domestic) have little staying power as they would never be in any conversation of having the best writing or filmmaking in their genre.

The MCU movie that seems to have staying power is Captain America:The Winter Solider. if you see the pro argument reasons why it is the most important MCU movie, it is more believable than any Avengers movies.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 07-25-2019 at 06:13 AM.

Infinity War and Endgame are like the biggest cultural phenomenons of this generation. It's completely delusional to think they don't have "staying power".

Infinity War and Endgame are like the biggest cultural phenomenons of this generation. It's completely delusional to think they don't have "staying power".

Cultural phenomenons are not the same as ''staying power''. Pulp Fiction is a movie with staying power.

IW and Endgame may be cultural phenomenons. Winter Solider has the staying power for MCU movies.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 07-25-2019 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Cultural phenomenons are not the same as ''staying power''. Pulp Fiction is a movie with staying power.

IW and Endgame may be cultural phenomenons. Winter Solider has the staying power for MCU movies.
    Nah. Unless you somehow own the definiton of what staying power is, it doesn't mean which movie you think is the best. Besides popularity and box office, IW and Endgame are the culmunation of a whole saga of, not only different movies but different franchises, a whole shared universe. It'll be remembered.

Nah. Unless you somehow own the definiton of what staying power is, it doesn't mean which movie you think is the best. Besides popularity and box office, IW and Endgame are the culmunation of a whole saga of, not only different movies but different franchises, a whole shared universe. It'll be remembered.
    So Endgame is not inspiring any new waves of filmmaking?

Once we move past the gigantic box office, does it do or bring anything new, interesting, bestows a ''deep exploration of the human condition'' to the time travel dystopian genre?

Endgame was a big, loud, bombastic summer blockbuster that now happens to be the highest grossing movie of all time. That is the limit of the movie.

How much did you think Avatar was going to be remembered before Endgame surpassed it at the box office and Avatar has more filmmaking advantages going for it. it was a cliche movie in plot but with breakthrough film visual effects that made everyone rethink of how to use 3D correctly.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 07-25-2019 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Cyke View Post

Edit: I am surprised by how much love Logan is getting. I feel like the final act of the movie is awful. I think Logan is absolutely great until spoilers:
    Charles dies and it's just Logan wandering through the wilderness with the little girl fighting an evil clone of himself
    end of spoilers. I don't know how Logan is praised so highly when the final 45 minutes are so generic and empty.
    Logan i agree with it falls apart

Endgame would be remembered for that, like Avatar was. that's a financial record. records are meant to be broken. Records does not mean a movie has any staying power that is remembered on a daily basis as a patriarch of filmmaking. Neither Avatar and Endgame pushed the genre they were trying to tackle. Juvenile movies like Avatar, Endgame, star wars 7 (usa domestic) have little staying power as they would never be in any conversation of having the best writing or filmmaking in their genre.

The MCU movie that seems to have staying power is Captain America:The Winter Solider. if you see the pro argument reasons why it is the most important MCU movie, it is more believable than any Avengers movies.
    Juvenile?
    Last edited by OblivionX33; 07-25-2019 at 09:56 AM.

Once we move past the gigantic box office, does it do or bring anything new, interesting, bestows a ''deep exploration of the human condition'' to the time travel dystopian genre?

Endgame was a big, loud, bombastic summer blockbuster that now happens to be the highest grossing movie of all time. That is the limit of the movie.

How much did you think Avatar was going to be remembered before Endgame surpassed it at the box office and Avatar has more filmmaking advantages going for it. it was a cliche movie in plot but with breakthrough film visual effects that made everyone rethink of how to use 3D correctly.
    I can promise you that's wasn't the take away for most. Speak for yourself and i'm not saying it was Dark City or Terminator. But it wasn't just a silly popcorn flick.

I honestly feel like Endgame is akin to Return of the King and Return of the Jedi. I was too young to see the world react to Return of the Jedi but I was a teenager when ROTK released and it was a big deal. Not just in the sense of it being a fantasy epic, but a movie that touched families, individuals, society, pushed geeky things deeper into everyday culture. And I imagine ROTJ had a similar impact in the late 80s

And I feel Endgame has done the same. I am the first person to join in on the chorus that 90% of the solo Marvel movies are forgettable. But I am really high on Endgame. The way it centered on the original Avengers team, and referenced so many running plots and movies that led up to it and juggled such a variety of characters, I think it is a science-fiction/fantastic fantasy epic up there with the best of them. That movie had heart. The infinity stone that required a sacrifice, Thor's moment with a certain family member, Tony's quiet moments of reflections missing Peter. I could keep going. That movie was made with love for the MCU and even though I'm not the biggest fan of the MCU, I feel it is a fantastic science-fiction/fantasy movie

I hated the last-minute theatrical re-release with lousy extras that was done to get that final push to beat Avatar's box office record. To me it encompasses so much of what I hate about modern-day Disney; anything it takes to get the big headline, even if it means milking the costumer dry. I thought the extras (a Stan Lee tribute, an unfinished deleted scene with no context of when the scene occurred, and a 30 second scene from the Spider-man movie already in theaters) was a cheap ploy to make people spend hard-earned money again on a movie they've already seen. I really disliked "the special extras" they told the public were added to the film to get more people to see it again just to beat Avatar. But even though I'm not the biggest fan of the MCU or modern-day Disney, I think Endgame is one of the big triumphs of superhero movies and sci-fi/fantasy movies
    Last edited by Super-Cyke; 07-25-2019 at 10:11 AM.

LOL. I never claimed Endgame made any of that. Just that it had staying power. Which afaik means that it's gonna stay relevant in the future? Which it will. Not just because of the box office but because it and IW as I said are technically a huge crossover out of multiple franchises after Marvel established a cinematic universe with connecting plots like no one had done before. But unlike Avatar, it doesn't rely only in that gimmick. Most people barely remember the plot of Avatar. But talk about the snap and everyone knows what you're talking about. People are emotionally invested in those characters and that story.

It's not like Winter Soldier "inspired a new wave of filmmaking" either. It's just a good movie. Seems like you just picked the MCU movie that's considered most serious to use as a token so that it doesn't look like you just hate everything MCU.