Page 225 of 325 FirstFirst ... 125175215221222223224225226227228229235275 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,375 of 4870
    Astonishing Member

I liked Hugh's Wolverine but I absolutely hated the material he had to work with. I can only watch DOFP over and over. The rest is a solid pass. The Wolverine bored me to tears and Logan is just too depressing and overrated IMO. Too bad he never got to wear those famous tighty whiteys.

I can't wait to see a Wolverine that wears a costume and is not ashamed to do so. I wonder why some fans of the XCU hated tighty whiteys.

I am waiting for Wolverine in his costume as well . I think that is one of the key things is going help people move on from Hugh Jackman. If they pull off the costume people will forget about Hugh imo. That said the headpiece for Wolverine is stupid looking in real life so I understand why haven't used the Wolverine suit. But we have reach the point where they could use cgi if the practical suit does look up to par.

The Wolverine mask is kinda kooky, but if they can make Batman work, if they can make Spider-Man and Deadpool with expressive eyes work, if they can make Black Panther work, they can make Wolverine work. Especially if they skew more towards his original(lower profile), and less towards the 80's/90's super huge face fins. Something more like this:

And less like this:

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Some people don't realize there is a cost for making a bad movie. Hellboy is great example,They went after "darker and more mature" vision failed and that movie franchise is probably dead.The safer approach of the original movies got sequels green lighted. Fox made X1, X2 and two bad movies leaving the franchise needing to reboot, Fox made X-men First class and DoFP and then two bad movies leaving the franchise needing to reboot. Let's be clear Dark Phoenix would have killed the X-men if series was staying at Fox there was no way sequel to that movie was getting made.New Mutants(not likely) or Deadpool/X-force would have to bail out X-franchise with a fresh direction.

For every Marvel movie is being formulaic and safe,There is a Green Lantern which didn't get a sequel, There is Justice League which got Superman and Cyborg projects functional killed. There is Spiderman 3 which force a reboot and ASM 1 & 2 that were so bad they had call on Marvel to save them. Moving away comic book movies I can name stuff like Universal's Dark Universe which failed or tons of Young Adult movies I am Number 4,The Darkest Minds, Divergent, Mortal Instruments, Beautiful Creatures, Golden Compass, Ender's Game, Eragon, The Seeker the dark is Rising, The Host, The City of Ember, etc. People don't seem to understand how difficult it is get long form stories made today. What Marvel is doing is not easy. The amount of franchises that don't get off the ground is huge. You have ONE movie to make an impact and if you miss aren't likely to get a second chance or in some cases you get a second chance like Pacific Rim,Indepence day and Godzilla and you pretty much close up the franchise.

People are talking Marvel movies not performing at the highest level, How many satisfying trilogies does DCEU,Sony or Fox have, I will wait.. Wolverine.Nope. X-men.Nope.(Deadpool would have probably done it )Spiderman.Nope. Only Nolan Batman is three solid movies.MCU has produce at least Captain America and Avengers which is 3 solid movies, GotG,MCU Spiderman and Antman could also finish off a set of 3 solid movies. I am not talking about all time classic I am talking about just 3 movies everyone is generally happy with it. I will end how I began their cost to making bad movies. Marvel keeps chugging along making solid movies that make back their money,make a profit and don't hurt the overall franchise and they get to keep making comic book movies. We go into MCU knowing that 3 X-men movies will probably get made,3 Wolverine movies will probably get made, and spin off movies will get made because of the "Marvel Formula". Remember that long list above of Young Adult movies as fan just think of all the fans of property who don't get to see their stuff finished. That is what people critical of Marvel don't get imo
    I prefer to take risks than be always juvenile and safe. Marvel made the right deal to go under the safety net of Disney. Look at how every Disney live action remake is making a billion, forget the quality. Avengers was not a trilogy, if you look at the infinity saga as one film, Age of Ultron was a low point in a trilogy. Infinity war depends on who you talk to. The question now becomes what qualifies as a solid movie when MCU is allowed to get away with anything that other won't or when MCU never attempted to be Aristotle to Fox and DC that tried due to the stigma of Batman and Robin. Would GOTG, Antman, Captain America 1 and 3, Infinity War and Spiderman be solid films if they were Fox and DC movies?

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    It all opinion based. I don't think Raimi movies are that good. MCU are way better imo
    I base my own opinions on how much I know a film can be the best of itself not because I love a ''studio''. When did all this studio full pledge loyalty even start? It was never around before Marvel studios. When any studio messes up, they get what is coming to them. Why is Marvel studios always protected when they mess up like any other studio? What I love about Spiderman right now is that people are looking at the films itself and not the studio making the films.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Unpopular opinion but I'm not really a big fan of Spider-Man 2 due to the way it handled the Peter/MJ romance until MJ's speech at the very end (and also because Ock's lauded characterization in the film is a shameless rip-off of Mr. Freeze from Batman: The Animated Series).

So that would make FFH among the Top 3 Spider-Films for me along with Spider-Verse and the first Spider-Man.
    The speech in the end wrapped up a screenplay for a well thought out film. It would not have been as effective if not for everything that happened prior to that. In the second act of the film, MJ asked him if he loved her or not? its straight from the comics that Peter played MJ and Gwen hot and gold. It got Gwen killed for that alone. The romance in Spiderman 2 showed how complicated relationships could be, worsened by when one person in the relationship is a secret superhero, who can barely pay his rent. I am not a fan of Holland and Zendaya, theirs is more puppy love than the complicated messiness of Maguire and Dunst that was more adult and realistic. Beyond that Spiderman 2 is the best live action spiderman film, its ticks all the check boxes of what we used to think about good films.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    I think you're having problems keeping terms distinct from each other. .
    Not having any problems. How distinctive was Thor getting all GOTG? Why was it ever necessary to take the series on that part? Why continue it with Endgame. Disney doesn't care about the storytelling downgrading as long as it is successful.

Having a formula for success does not eliminate stylization. You should consider widening your viewpoint and not being so limited and narrow
    A formula concerning films that can be better than it is or not constrained when not necessary. If anything is limited and narrow it is MCU movies. Why are they still limiting Spiderman as a high school kid? Spiderman never had a ''puppy love'' neither was it a life long dream to be Tony Stark. Why was time travel narrowed down to one act in Endgame? Spiderman 1 and DOFP are not MCU movies, their scope was wider.

There are many talentless people running around the entertainment industry who are very successful. Simon Kinberg could claim he is a successful film producer and writer.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 08-05-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I liked Hugh's Wolverine but I absolutely hated the material he had to work with. I can only watch DOFP over and over. The rest is a solid pass. The Wolverine bored me to tears and Logan is just too depressing and overrated IMO. Too bad he never got to wear those famous tighty whiteys.

I can't wait to see a Wolverine that wears a costume and is not ashamed to do so. I wonder why some fans of the XCU hated tighty whiteys.
    When has Wolverine ever been associated with tighty whiteys? X-Men Swimsuit Edition?

BANNED

If anybody thinks Kevin Feige is not Alan Horn’s flunky, I have some swamp land to sell you. The MCU formula isn’t Feige’s formula, it’s Disney/Horn’s formula. All live action Disney movies follow the same formula. Perlmutter wasn’t having that, so Iger took the studio away from him and gave it to Horn. Horn is running Marvel Studios, not Feige. Perlmutter didn’t like the Disney/Horn formula for his superheroes and he was right.
    But it’s a business and the Disney/Horn formula sells more than the Perlmutter formula, despite the fact the Perlmutter formula is better quality.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

NVM

10char
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 08-05-2019 at 01:31 PM.

I liked Hugh's Wolverine but I absolutely hated the material he had to work with. I can only watch DOFP over and over. The rest is a solid pass. The Wolverine bored me to tears and Logan is just too depressing and overrated IMO.

MCU doesn't get to breathe in the same nose as Logan. Too stuffy, too much authentic filmmaking with Logan to MCU that has zero. If Logan is depressing then you heard so little about the comics. It's the structural malfunction with MCU, Disney puts their juvenile ''funny'' stories in marvel movies and decrease the comics stories of Marvel.

When Logan the movie comes along, some who only love the Disney fun and games, thinks Logan is depressing and overrated. When all what LOGAN did was follow the back bones of the comics. I find it beyond outlandish anyone can actually think Logan is depressing on a board dedicated to comics about X-Men. This has nothing to do with what Wolverine story you love or hate, it has everything to do with the story a particular movie was adapting. Does the Death of Wolverine ring any bells?
    Last edited by Beaddle; 08-05-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    If anybody thinks Kevin Feige is not Alan Horn’s flunky, I have some swamp land to sell you. The MCU formula isn’t Feige’s formula, it’s Disney/Horn’s formula. All live action Disney movies follow the same formula. Perlmutter wasn’t having that, so Iger took the studio away from him and gave it to Horn. Horn is running Marvel Studios, not Feige. Perlmutter didn’t like the Disney/Horn formula for his superheroes and he was right.
    But it’s a business and the Disney/Horn formula sells more than the Perlmutter formula, despite the fact the Perlmutter formula is better quality.
    You're forgetting Iron-Man, Thor, Captain America, Incredible Hulk and The Avengers. There was already Marvel Studio formula before disney acquired Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmist View Post
    You're forgetting Iron-Man, Thor, Captain America, Incredible Hulk and The Avengers. There was already Marvel Studio formula before disney acquired Marvel.
    These movies are quite different from the other.

Iron-Man was action, fun and an easy going adventure. The story was generic as crap but it was good for Iron Man who was still a D List name. I am not sure X-Men or Batman would have gotten away with the simpleness of Iron Man 1.

Thor was Shakespearean

Hulk was kind of depressing. It had a better story than Iron Man 1, apart from the last 30 minutes ruined by Hulk vs Abomination's battle, It was a solid superhero drama. Ed Norton and Liv Tyler didn't get the credit they deserved, definitely a much more interesting and complex duo than the bickering of Tony and Pepper than got worse after Iron Man 1.

Captain America embraced the period piece setting of world war 2,despite MCU still fighting more to use the movie as a set up for Avengers than telling a great Steve Rogers origins movie.

The Marvel formula only kicked fully somewhere around phase 2 when Age of Ultron, Iron Man 3, and GOTG came along and Disney got the full keys to the kingdom. A few good moments like Winter Solider, The first act of Civil War but it has been down the hill since then. Marvel clearly sucked in by the Disney gravy money train to see how much they have not progressed from the simpleness of Iron Man 1 or the cliches of comic books.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 08-05-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I prefer to take risks than be always juvenile and safe. Marvel made the right deal to go under the safety net of Disney. Look at how every Disney live action remake is making a billion, forget the quality.
    Dumbo says Hello.

And if Disney has perfected the formula what happened to Solo? Mary Poppins? A Wrinkle in Time? The Nutcracker? So the formula only works on superheroes and not other IPs?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmist View Post
    Seriously, you can’t see the different between the early MCU and the Disney/Horn MCU?
    Besides, there is no such thing as a Marvel Studio formula, when Perlmutter was in charge there was no formula, each movie had a different tone

Dumbo says Hello.

And if Disney has perfected the formula what happened to Solo? Mary Poppins? A Wrinkle in Time? The Nutcracker?
    Some of these movies must have been beyond bad that not even the Disney empire could save it, the others has to do with people being more informed. Solo and Mary Poppins. Replace Solo with Last Jedi or Force Awakens.

So the formula only works on superheroes and not other IPs?
    Doesn't work on many superheroes. Disney sees the money, Many lifelong people who were comics fans before Disney bought Marvel and Informed ''others'' are harsher with the methods Disney is using to get the money. We all know MCU stories can be better than what Disney is telling. We have read it in the comics, watched it in the animations, seen it with other marvel movies. We don't buy Fat Thor, Pixar Spiderman or the constant unbearable humor with MCU movies as we are more informed about marvel comics that has no connection to Disney.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 08-05-2019 at 03:17 PM.

BANNED

It's really hard to take these disagreements seriously. I mean, sorry Beaddle and Lurpki....but in the other thread you were arguing about how poignant upside down kisses are. Please give it a rest, your opinions are known and noted. Thank you, the rest of us are enjoying the anticipation of our favorite characters becoming glorious, loved, household names again. You can let us have that please.

BANNED

All opinions are supposed to be accepted on this forum, some think the future of the X-Men will be great and some think it will be a disaster.
    Who is “us”?
    Last edited by luprki; 08-05-2019 at 03:48 PM.