Page 232 of 325 FirstFirst ... 132182222228229230231232233234235236242282 ... LastLast
Results 3,466 to 3,480 of 4870

X2 and DOFP are mature themed contemporary superhero movies, I can't say they are better than MCU movies but I appreciate their style more as superhero films. Bryan Singer is a mixed bag for me, He disrespected Cyclops who is a far more interesting character than Wolverine, but I think his bad stereotypical assumptions about comics helped him in DOFP and X2.

Singer had already made movies about Nazis. He made Valkyrie later and made DOFP. So we can say he was an expert in knowing some important aspects of X-Men. Singer is more of an actor's director with a diverse body of work, The Russos are not.

Watching the final moments of Endgame with Avengers assembling, as much as I thought it was fun. its still the worst comic book cliche there is. I can't put it above the conflicted drama in DOFP that was the ''final battle''. There was no final battle because X-Men knows how to do drama and dramas are best when you have moral ambiguity characters like Magneto and mystique. Evil, right, wrong, neutrality are not as easily laid out as MCU movies make them out to be when its X-Men.

When I said I don't think the russos are a good fit for X-Men, I was looking beyond the trope. people actually think all what superheroes do is fight bad aliens from space or fight villains that want to destroy the universe. Although it is true, MCU can be very one dimensional and obvious about it. X-Men is good at scaling it down, making things more ambiguous and anonymous with less time to spend on big CGI moments and more time on the drama. I am not sure they will find that same luck in the MCU.

I like the concept of mutants best in the marvel universe as the bad mutants are not technically bad. The mutant situation is very complex. X-Men perhaps has the most interesting concept of marvel superheroes. X2 and DOFP just highlighted it well.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 08-13-2019 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Bryan Singer is a mixed bag for me, He disrespected Cyclops who is a far more interesting character than Wolverine...
    Why's that?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Why's that?
    Why's that?
    Because Cyclops has the perception of a goody two shoes boy scout and he is not one. Cyclops is basically a Superman character with a very dark edge, who constantly gets to surprise you. He is Captain America but with more unpredictable leadership methods. His development in X-Men comics is much more interesting than Wolverine.

What MCU would clearly do better than Fox is give Cyclops his due. The only fear is Disney will tone down the darker edge of his character to keep him ''kid friendly and role modely'' enough for their MCU movies. The Russos knows just how great Cyclops is. They have admitted Fox screwed Cyclops and X-fans would agree.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/05...movies-marvel/
    Avengers: Endgame Writers Have An X-Men Character in Mind For MCU

The Russos want to write Cyclops. I think they can potentially do a good job if Disney gives them the full control Fox gave to James Mangold to write Wolverine in Logan and Vaughn to write Magneto in First Class. When I said it was every hard to judge the Russos as all they have is MCU that has been way too masterminded by the Disney inc not by the raw potential of the comics. I was not hating on The Russos.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 08-13-2019 at 10:55 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    People bring up the money because money making is going to reinforce certain trends. It also shows that more people like it and that your opinion is the minority.

Trust me, I’m with you in most ways. I find the mcu films one dimensional. The difference is i don’t think they are bad I just think they can be a lot better. It seems like you aren’t very open to considering that your opinion on something =\= it being bad. Simply not your taste. It’s two different things.
    I mainly agree and making money does reinforce certain trends. The problem is this trend is one-dimensional, assembly line movie making, no vision, sterile and predictable.

Because Cyclops has the perception of a goody two shoes boy scout and he is not one. Cyclops is basically a Superman character with a very dark edge, who constantly gets to surprise you. He is Captain America but with more unpredictable leadership methods. His development in X-Men comics is much more interesting than Wolverine.

What MCU would clearly do better than Fox is give Cyclops his due. The only fear is Disney will tone down the darker edge of his character to keep him ''kid friendly and role moedely'' enough for their MCU movies. The Russos knows just how great Cyclops is. They have admitted Fox screwed Cyclops and X-fans would agree.

The Russos want to write Cyclops. I think they can potentially do a good job if Disney gives them the full control Fox gave to James Mangold to write Wolverine in Logan and Vaughn to write Magneto in First Class. When I said it was every hard to judge the Russos as all they have is MCU that has been way too masterminded by the Disney inc not by the raw potential of the comics. I was not hating on The Russos.
    Fair enough. Lot of other characters I'd rather see on the big screen first, but that's a good case, and I'm not really a Cyclops fan in the first place.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

What MCU would clearly do better than Fox is give Cyclops his due. The only fear is Disney will tone down the darker edge of his character to keep him ''kid friendly and role moedely'' enough for their MCU movies. The Russos knows just how great Cyclops is. They have admitted Fox screwed Cyclops and X-fans would agree.

Cyclops did not get associated with having a dark edge until recently. That was not a part of his core characterization when Singer was first putting out the X-men films

Who worked on the first X Men films oh right Kevin Feige. Who apparently suggested Logan keep his comic book hair oh yeah Kevin Feige. Despite comic book films more than likely being a flop in 2000 who helped make that film Kevin "Easy Street" Feige.

Your source suggests Markus & McFeely have an eye on Cyclops. Do you actually have a source that suggests the Russos do?
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

I can agree with this post even though I'm not a huge Cyclops fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Cyclops did not get associated with having a dark edge until recently. That was not a part of his core characterization when Singer was first putting out the X-men films
    I could argue Cyclops wasn't really a character in the first two movies rather an obstacle for Logan and Jean.

This is a double-edged sword for me. On one hand I'd like to think the early 90's X-Men are the epitome of their personalities and the end-all-be-all argument stopper. The X-Men's apex, if you will. The point where it's hard to get any better than they already were at the time. That said, CC being one of the mastermind's behind my X-Men did NOT intend to continue the way the early 90's X-Men were going as was seen by his original plans for them in X-Men Forever. I will say I was 'shocked' (those that read it will get the reference) and appalled at the direction he was wanting to take there in 616 had he and Marvel not gone separate ways. So that leads me to my next point, I have to accept that characters evolve. I don't like doing that but I am quite fond of the X-Men through the mid-late 90's even after CC.

So while I want to agree with you 110%, I'd be slightly hypocritical.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I will say this, Singer's best is better than the whole MCU imho. DoFP and X2 were better films for me then every MCU film. I still loved a lot of the MCU films but those 2 just rise above.
    They aren't tho

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Who worked on the first X Men films oh right Kevin Feige. Who apparently suggested Logan keep his comic book hair oh yeah Kevin Feige. Despite comic book films more than likely being a flop in 2000 who helped make that film Kevin "Easy Street" Feige.
    ssshhh let the hate flow through them
    Last edited by OblivionX33; 08-13-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OblivionX33 View Post
    They aren't tho
    It’s an opinion not a fact. Just like what you’re saying. Simple concept.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

yeah at first. but then he directed Apocalypse which occurred well after AvX/revolution era and he still managed to keep Cyke an irrelevant side character.

Why's that?
    also because Wolverine is very overrated in the "interesting character" department. FOX has been overestimating the number of fans willing to come to the theatre and watch an invincible character putting up CGI fights again and again only to heal himself minutes after each fight. if you chop his head off, he will grow it right back. Why should the audiences care?

Without all the comic reliefs that Deadpool offers, it's extremely hard to build any sense of tension or urgency in movies strictly about an invincible character like Wolverine. which is why the first two wolverine movies sucked, and LOGAN worked only because he was no longer invincible. Wolverine is only interesting if you put him in a team environment IMO
    Last edited by jom2003; 08-13-2019 at 06:04 PM.