Page 236 of 325 FirstFirst ... 136186226232233234235236237238239240246286 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,540 of 4870

The problem frankly is that the X-men are a schizophrenic franchise. Their both a semi-serious talk on the difficulty of minorities and the struggles they face whilst simultaneously also a standard superhero comic with extra space opera stuff

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    The problem frankly is that the X-men are a schizophrenic franchise. Their both a semi-serious talk on the difficulty of minorities and the struggles they face whilst simultaneously also a standard superhero comic with extra space opera stuff
    That the nature of being in Marvel and connected universe. The X-men can work as hard sci-fi serious concept about social issues in its own universe. But in Marvel there are inhuman, aliens, Gods and sentient robots alongside mutants X-men as many people imagine only work for a small period as part bigger Marvel then sheer insanity of Marvel connectivity wins out.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    That the nature of being in Marvel and connected universe. The X-men can work as hard sci-fi serious concept about social issues in its own universe. But in Marvel there are inhuman, aliens, Gods and sentient robots alongside mutants X-men as many people imagine only work for a small period as part bigger Marvel then sheer insanity of Marvel connectivity wins out.
    It can all work. It just needs competency and editors doing their jobs. Also not throwing non mutant titles under the bus as soon as the X-men make money. Because the 90s really foxused the whole "May as well be another universe" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    That’s a good idea. Superheroes movies are way too white.
    He don’t have to be Caucasian. The comic book story never put a race on him, just the artwork.
    Thanks :-) I’d cast someone like Jacob Artist, so that ambiguous ethnicity is actually a benefit in his professional thief career. One witness night report him as white, another might report him as black, leading to a certain level of invisibility.

It can all work. It just needs competency and editors doing their jobs. Also not throwing non mutant titles under the bus as soon as the X-men make money. Because the 90s really foxused the whole "May as well be another universe" thing.
    I think so too but I think X-men is a superhero comic that can tell good social commentary rather a book about social commentary that happens to have superheroes in it. We don't need mutants hated and fear all the time let something big destroy the status quo human/mutant relationship but then after a while that well get repaired and the X-men are superheroes again.

I actually like the set up in Dark Phoenix the X-men were heroes, They had a relationship with the government. They save the world, They saved a space ship the X-men themselves was getting love. I think that is a better direction for the franchise the X-men themselves very little is going to affect them they are established heroes governments and population will go to bat for them But everyone else say like the Morlock or Genoshans and just general mutants will be getting hate as mutants. X-men would be slightly hated by regular mutants because they get treated differently and they would be called government lapdogs but maintaining a friendly relationship with governments is what lets them be able to run around help mutants. I think X-men works better where they have choose to keep their status which allows to help or stand as a regular mutant in issues. I mean it is better than Phoenix overturning some cars and the government forgetting that hey they save the world.

I hope MCU X-men can run around do the fun stuff in the franchise, with just general hate, and fear in the world. Then something like 9/11 style attack triggers the big fear from humans.

In the comics there should be mutant celebrities, politicians, artists etc. A mutant walking the street shouldnt be attacked. The general public should me mixed, apathetic or unagressively negative.

It will be interesting how much does MCU play with the concept of mutant hatred and fear. Remember that MCU is finite and they have shown a willingness to kill villains, unlike comic books who need to keep them alive. The comic X-men need mutants to be hated and fear so they can tell stories for years and years into the future while MCU has a reset date of the actors. After they go through the story of mutants being hated and hunted once they really don't have to tell that story again and with many stories the X-men have they more directions they can go in.

Variety is nice. Heck, Star Trek told a mix of social commentary and sci-fi adventure.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Thanks :-) I’d cast someone like Jacob Artist, so that ambiguous ethnicity is actually a benefit in his professional thief career. One witness night report him as white, another might report him as black, leading to a certain level of invisibility.
    Actor Marcus Scribner of the TV show black-ish would also make a good Gambit
    Last edited by luprki; 08-16-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Actor Marcus Scribner of the TV show black-ish would also make a good Gambit
    That’s funny, I can’t NOT see him as Prodigy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    That’s funny, I can’t NOT see him as Prodigy.
    Why you can’t?

Why you can’t?
    He’s got such a Cyclops-y lean awkward vibe, and his voice is too, that he reads so much younger and insecure than he is. I’d love to see him tackle a suave romantic role, but I haven’t seen it yet.

I'd rather have the MCU use Prodigy, Surge, Armor, Gentle, Forge, Warpath, Rictor, Sunspot, Moosntar, Karma, Monet, Indra, and others instead of sidelining them in favor of racebent X-Men.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    I'd rather have the MCU use Prodigy, Surge, Armor, Gentle, Forge, Warpath, Rictor, Sunspot, Moosntar, Karma, Monet, Indra, and others instead of sidelining them in favor of racebent X-Men.
    I COULD make a case for a Pakistani Nightcrawler, but I’d rather just focus on a character whose whiteness is default. Making Gambit black, biracial, creole would increase the tendency for writers and fans to acknowledge his origin city and distinct American culture rather than the weird, unnecessarily insular and incredibly uncomfortable fixation of tying him to the overpopulated and underserved Summers “family”. A black Gambit stands alone, and serves the franchise better.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    So here is the problem with taking out these characters out their active story and putting them in popular X-men stories. You are creating background characters who do very little because all the key other character are going to have their roles while the newly adust character does get much to work it. The easy example is Bishop, Blink, Sunspot, Warpath in Days of Future past or Jubliee and Psylocke in Apocalypse. Yeah you put them in the movie but they are telling old X-men stories which prioritize the older character make these characters basically pointless unless they work really hard to fill them in.

Changing in the race is the middle solution between keeping thing as they are and putting in brand new characters. There is no guarantee X-men ever really make to new characters era stories we have 20 year period of X-men movies which didn't start from the Original 5 and Storm was only minority character used consistently. If Stan Lee and company created the X-men today it wouldn't have been 5 white characters, X-men was made in an era where if they had put a minority in cover it wouldn't have sold as well. I agree with you the X-men have Bishop, Forge, Kwannon Psylocke, Jubilee, etc who actively been apart of the X-men I prefer that character like that get spotlight but if they going to be put them in God loves man kills, Dark Phoenix, Mutant Massacre, etc the new characters are going to be in the background so yeah give me Black a Dazzler, Latino Angel, Give me Creole Gambit, Give me Beast or Nightcrawler from a different background they are direct stand-ins for minority anyways.