Page 289 of 325 FirstFirst ... 189239279285286287288289290291292293299 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,335 of 4870

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post

Introducing anything X-Men to a parody movie! Perhaps Disney just does not care about their artistic inferiority as long as the money keeps pouring. Name one X-Men series that has been introduced as a comedy/parody resembling Thor Ragnarok . Movies , tv or cartoons. I will wait and Deadpool does not count.
    The X-Babies Series
    Edit: oh thought comics were included
    But I think X-Men Evo would count
    Last edited by BroHomo; 04-15-2020 at 12:29 AM.
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    The X-Babies Series
    A large mythology that has a cute run called X-babies. That is a throw away. How many redefining X-Moments came from that?

Edit: oh thought comics were included
    X-Men is a big universe, parody/comedy is not what makes it. its in it not the definition of it. I am still waiting for any Mojo stories to be in a top 25 x-men comics to read with his insane black humor, slave labour mutant actors and dark comedy, only appreciated by a more adult audience since Mojo very much is a Joker kind of character. Only difference is Mojo has never been the most fearsome villain to X-Men like Joker is to Batman.

But I think X-Men Evo would count
    No X-men evolution does not count. The series started as a cool YA series and took a much darker ''depressing'' turn as the seasons went by.

Not only is this expected and predictable, It shrinks the MCU universe again.

Thor is the worst comedy series in the MCU. X-Men is marvel's most thoughtful series, introducing it to a parody series like Thor would be offensive.

It makes the mythology have less impact. Did you watch Logan? Logan succeeded as a legit cinema movie that is to be respected to MCU that has failed to be one. Part of the reason is Logan standing by itself as a mini separate X-Men mythology. It didn't have to connect to Deadpool or make a big deal on the events that took place in the year 2023 in the predecessor movie.

We call this doing the hard work to build a film. Not using a formula that is harmful to the genre.
    Thor is now the least liked Avenger. Enough people were angered by his portrayal in the movie. It is delusional to think he is the second most liked Avenger.

Why would the infamous fat thor be the most liked Avenger? Where is the intellectual thought to that? Didn't the director just deny we would be seeing him again since he is aware of how much most hated it.

Introducing anything X-Men to a parody movie! Perhaps Disney just does not care about their artistic inferiority as long as the money keeps pouring. Name one X-Men series that has been introduced as a comedy/parody resembling Thor Ragnarok . Movies , tv or cartoons. I will wait and Deadpool does not count.
    wowowow I have a lot to say to this!

It seems like you have the idea that comedy somehow devalues a property and I couldn't agree less! I understand that there were people unhappy with Ragnarok but denying its influence on Thor's popularity as a character/franchise within a franchise as well as how the mcu as a whole is handling films going forwards seems biased to me. The same team behind the movie is working on a sequel for wave 3 or 4, whatever they're on to now, and that wouldn't happen unless Disney/Marvel saw potential for $$$. If the movie was so deeply panned why would they bank on it like that? Bringing on Waititi was a risk, compared to the previous filmmakers brought on for the mcu he's known for imbuing movies with his distinct "personality", he has a singular recognizable style - you can tell this risk paid off for them based on the filmmakers attached to upcoming projects, like Chloe Zhao on Eternals or Cate Shortland on BW. Independent filmmakers with unique visual flair, because it worked for them on Ragnarok.

Does a movie need to be "serious" to be respected by an audience? I'd argue no. The first 2 Thor movies are, from what ive observed, either easily forgotten by viewers or seen as mediocre at best. Ragnarok, if not universally loved, incites discussion and reaction. Is that not the point of a film, of any genre, of any studio? I agree with your assertion that Logan is a highly-respected film for its grim, serious tone but I'd argue that it isn't the tone itself that lends to its reception - its the fact that its a departure from the films before it, just like Ragnarok. They both demonstrate a shift in their respective franchises and at the very least stimulated discussion and interest among fans, casual viewers and critics alike.

Moving back to the X-Men, I find it odd that you say Deadpool doesn't count. I feel like the movies really played up his connection to the x-mythos, through jokes referencing the OG movies and appearances from characters only really x-men fans would recognize. Again, I think this movie attracted so much attention because it was different from what was seen before, in terms of x-men movies and the superhero genre as a whole. It was irreverent, R-rated, pushing the lighthearted tone associated with Marvel thanks to the mcu up to 11 .

I think it's impossible to adapt a comic book without general campiness because they often, maybe even always, revel in the absurd . This is why movie studios will tackle them comedically when it comes time to adapt these stories, take it too serious and audiences will "cringe" - there is a fine line between what the modern audience considers acceptable and unacceptable camp - men and women gallivanting around in tights is not cringe, but them doing so seriously is cringe . but I could talk about that all day lol

what I'm trying to say is that camp is unavoidable but that doesn't mean that an x-men movie/series/whatever cannot also be thoughtful. Look at the 90s cartoon - a lot of serious subject matter, a lot of classic stories, and a lot of camp. One element does not negate the other , they both work in tandem . The show would not be what we love without either. I think Evolution, as BroHomo mentioned above me, has a similar marriage of the serious and the campy, as is true for just about every modern cartoon. I hope what I'm saying makes sense because I kind of put this all down on a whim without any planning - I love discussions like this and couldn't help myself lol

Both Deadpool movies were among the best X-films that FOX produced. I’d say Deadpool 1 & 2, X2, Days of Future Past and Logan were the five best movies in the franchise. First Class takes honorable mention. The rest were average (X-men, Apocalypse, The Wolverine) to bad (X3, Origins Wolverine, Dark Phoenix).

But Deadpool and its sequel both had a unique take, that being dark comedy, just like Logan had a unique take within the comic book movie (CBM) genre. The latter being very much a Western in tone and aesthetic.

I don't want the X-Men movies to be comedies but to be honest idk what's being said here. I have no issue using space sharks in a Thor movie, I didn't even know they were associated with the X-Men and this is the first I'v even heard of them

BANNED

What the fuck are star sharks. Sounds like something Jason Aaron came up with in WatXM.

Are they talking about the Acanti? Those big space whale things that the Brood eat, and infest and basically live inside of as they move through the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Are they talking about the Acanti? Those big space whale things that the Brood eat, and infest and basically live inside of as they move through the universe.
    The Brood enslaved both Acanti and Starsharks.

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    What the fuck are star sharks. Sounds like something Jason Aaron came up with in WatXM.
    Chris Claremont created them in his classic Uncanny run

Astonishing Member

Yeah, Thor using extremely obscure X-men characters, that aren’t even mutants, is probably not a ‘sign’ of anything. If the brood are involved, that might mean something...might.

I have always thought a Brood Saga story would make a fine replacement for the DPS in the event the MCU doesn't want to redo it a third time. I love that space opera. Carol Davners could even get in there.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I have always thought a Brood Saga story would make a fine replacement for the DPS in the event the MCU doesn't want to redo it a third time. I love that space opera. Carol Davners could even get in there.
    The Brood are the ONLY space race (aside from Phakanx, thx Hickman) that I still like... specifically because the Brood exploits the X-Men’s mutations. I wish a few Queens had succeeded with 3rd tier villains. Imagine Brood clans born from a Queen with Harry Leland, Sunder, or Tower’s powers.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    The Brood are the ONLY space race (aside from Phakanx, thx Hickman) that I still like... specifically because the Brood exploits the X-Men’s mutations. I wish a few Queens had succeeded with 3rd tier villains. Imagine Brood clans born from a Queen with Harry Leland, Sunder, or Tower’s powers.
    I love Claremont's Brood stories. And either the first one or the Outback one would make for incredible films. It's like Aliens with superpowers and spandex, what's not to love? Yes, love that idea. Or what if the Brood had gotten Ororo? Can you imagine a Brood Queen with absolute control over whole galaxies full of stars and planets at a time? Of if the team hadn't gotten back in time, and the Charles Queen fully activated, and turned the NM's too. Scary stuff.

Thor is now the least liked Avenger. Enough people were angered by his portrayal in the movie. It is delusional to think he is the second most liked Avenger.

Why would the infamous fat thor be the most liked Avenger?
    What world are you living in where Thor's comedic turn has diminished his popularity?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Chris Claremont created them in his classic Uncanny run
    Jason Aaron has been the one using them since then, far as I'm aware.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Jason Aaron has been the one using them since then, far as I'm aware.
    He's not the only one. Tom Taylor and Cullen Bunn used them among other writers