Page 3 of 325 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I'm just ready for this mess to be done. if anyone thought the xmen were bad under fox just wait until comcast gets their clutches on them, especially if the movies end up anything like their service.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    I still can't get over the fact that all these articles never say one thing about the rights for X-Men and FF not being transferable. Where did that rumor originate and is that all it is? Surely with 65b on the line Comcast would know if it wasn't getting the X-Men ahead of time...so it stands to reason that there is no such clause in some old contract from the 90's Marvel sellout.
    To your first question I believe it comes from the fact that one of the other rights Marvel sold I can’t remember which one had such a clause in it that sent the rights back to marvel. So it would stand to reason marvel would have put that in all these deals especially since it really is no skin of Fox’s nose to offer it because what do they care if the rights revert back if they’re bought out.

To the other point it comes down to the fact while we X-men fans view this as the most important aspect of the deal the X-men rights might not even be on Comcast radar as Sky is far more important to them as are the original Star Wars distribution rights and some of the network assets that Comcast can keep that Disney could not due to the fact they already have ABC.

I still can't get over the fact that all these articles never say one thing about the rights for X-Men and FF not being transferable. Where did that rumor originate and is that all it is? Surely with 65b on the line Comcast would know if it wasn't getting the X-Men ahead of time...so it stands to reason that there is no such clause in some old contract from the 90's Marvel sellout.
    There are two main reasons why it’s never really mentioned.
    1. Nobody knows whether there is such a clause or not. Only people in the know are the ones who have seen the contracts or are otherwise privy to info about the contracts. So the writers of the articles would only be repeating theories/speculation and further theorizing/speculating without having anything concrete to go on.
    2. In the grand scheme of things the rights to FF & X-Men are small potatos compared to the rest of the package that contains networks and various other valuable IPs. FF/X-Men is the most important part mainly to comic book fans alone. Even Disney probably doesn’t consider those rights as the main reason to get Fox. To them they are probably one of many IPs to be gained from this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    To your first question I believe it comes from the fact that one of the other rights Marvel sold I can’t remember which one had such a clause in it that sent the rights back to marvel. So it would stand to reason marvel would have put that in all these deals especially since it really is no skin of Fox’s nose to offer it because what do they care if the rights revert back if they’re bought out.

To the other point it comes down to the fact while we X-men fans view this as the most important aspect of the deal the X-men rights might not even be on Comcast radar as Sky is far more important to them as are the original Star Wars distribution rights and some of the network assets that Comcast can keep that Disney could not due to the fact they already have ABC.
    It would really make sense for Marvel to have asked for that type of clause to be put in there during the renegotiations of the deal so it’s very possible that it exists. But I don’t think that Marvel would have been smart enough or in the position to put it in there during the original writing of the deal since those deals were notably pretty bad for Marvel and they were in financial difficulties at the time.
    But even if that clause about rights reverting to Marvel exists we still don’t whether the rights are set to revert to Marvel in the case of 21st Century Fox being sold to anyone or if the reverting of the rights requires for 21st Century Fox to actually be dissolved and completely absorbed into the company that buys them. In case of Disney it MIGHT be that they fully absorb Fox but Comcast probably would keep the studio intact since it is an established brand that is worth a lot of money in and of itself.
    Last edited by JustAnotherFan; 06-14-2018 at 05:42 AM.

BANNED

Because the rights aren't being transferred. 20th Century Fox bought the X-Men rights and now Comcast might buy 20th Century Fox. Which means the X-Men rights did not move away from 20th Century Fox.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
    ...I don’t think that Marvel would have been ... in the position to put it in there during the original writing of the deal since those deals were notably pretty bad for Marvel and they were in financial difficulties at the time.
    That's what some people tend to forget: Marvel was bankrupt when they made these movie deals. They had to make whatever deals they could to get money to become solvent again, which leads me to highly doubt such a clause exists in these contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Because the rights aren't being transferred. 20th Century Fox bought the X-Men rights and now Comcast might buy 20th Century Fox. Which means the X-Men rights did not move away from 20th Century Fox.
    I can also see this as being true, as much of a potential loophole as it'd be. If the non-transfer clauses did exist, and Comcast decided to disintegrate or rebrand 20th Century Fox upon purchase, then there'd be more to talk about.

Either way, if Disney doesn't buy Fox now, they'll never get the rights back. Or at least not in time to capitalize on the super hero movie trend.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

That defeats the entire purpose of such a clause in the contract, if there is one. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    why do the mods keep closing these threads?
    See below

Because the same five people have the same dumb off-topic discussion over and over again.
    This is why

morelike the same one or two people, one of which has been banned more times than I can remember but keeps coming back to bash the MCU.

If mods are reading can we just nuke any BS posts that pop up but keep this thread for news on the merger so we don't clutter up other threads such as the Dark Phoenix movie thread?
    It is definitely more than just one or two people and we always step in a stop the b.s. but when we have to step in multiple times over a 300+ page thread and say the same thing to the same people over and over it gets annoying as hell and the thread gets shut down. My suggestion to everyone involved, especially the guilty parties from previous threads that are already posting in this one, is to just ignore what ever the hell OT thread gets posted first, everyone here already knows how you feel about the Fox X-Men vs the MCU and no one cares or wants you to repeat yourself again. If it starts up in this thread I'll just shut it down right away. No more chances on this.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post

That's good logic. It's still aggravating to see news articles just assume they'll (Comcast or whoever) get the X-Men when they don't know for sure. Maybe the journalists just aren't thinking that far into it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    See below

This is why

It is definitely more than just one or two people and we always step in a stop the b.s. but when we have to step in multiple times over a 300+ page thread and say the same thing to the same people over and over it gets annoying as hell and the thread gets shut down. My suggestion to everyone involved, especially the guilty parties from previous threads that are already posting in this one, is to just ignore what ever the hell OT thread gets posted first, everyone here already knows how you feel about the Fox X-Men vs the MCU and no one cares or wants you to repeat yourself again. If it starts up in this thread I'll just shut it down right away. No more chances on this.
    Thanks Wolverine12, but if it's just one user that doesn't like the thread he/she could just sabotage/troll it with a throwaway account and get it shut down. That doesn't seem fair so can you give some thought to shutting it down only if multiple parties are involved in any potential XCUvsMCU b.s.?

BANNED

That defeats the entire purpose of such a clause in the contract, if there is one. lol
    It's in the case of a bankruptcy or a hostile takeover where the studio is broken up in parts.

Thanks Wolverine12, but if it's just one user that doesn't like the thread he/she could just sabotage/troll it with a throwaway account and get it shut down. That doesn't seem fair so can you give some thought to shutting it down only if multiple parties are involved in any potential XCUvsMCU b.s.?
    If one person makes an OT post that one post will get deleted. If that OT post spins into 5 straight pages of the same conversation we've seen literally dozens of times at this point I'll shut it down. I'm not on here 24/7 so often times **** posts happen and I don't catch it until way after the fact. Usually I or another mod deletes the offending posts and say something about keeping things on topic. With this subject though I'm done with second chances. It's also incredibly easy to tell if it's a b.s. account since the account will have an extremely low post count.

Again my advice to you and everyone else is to just ignore the OT post and move on with your lives.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

What would you lot give as rough percentage estimates as far as chances of Disney vs Comcast ultimately winning
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'd say Disney has a lot more to lose than Comcast does - the former is launching their streaming service in a little over a year and they absolutely need the extra content the Fox acquisition would provide if they are to compete with Netflix. Frankly I don't see Disney backing out from this, or having trouble getting extra funding.

Bit of an update on the situation:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/18/b...hats-next.html

The meeting on Wednesday could cancel the need for a vote on July 10th if the board determines Comcast's deal is better. They talk about taxes and the fact that Disney has the upper hand in this deal and has the luxury of coming back with a counter-offer with time to spare while Comcast does not. Ends with the fact that Fox shareholders are grinning like silly-asses over this whole thing.

Why didn't I buy stock in Fox years ago?
    Last edited by uebersoldat; 06-18-2018 at 10:48 PM.

BANNED

DISNEY Ups FOX Bid to Knock of Rival Comcast - Report
    By Newsarama Staff
    June 20, 2018 06:37am ET
    Disney/Fox
    Credit: Disney/Fox

Disney has raised its offer to acquire the studio and cable network assets of 21st Century Fox to $71.3 billion in cash and stock, reports Deadline.

According to the trade the new offer is approximately $19 billion larger than the one Fox accepted last year, and nearly 10% higher than the $65 billion offer Comcast put on the table last week.

Deadline reports most analysts and industry observers had expected Disney to match Comcast, but not go so much higher.

Disney's new offer is reportedly $38 per share in cash and stock, along with taking on $13.8B of Fox’s net debt, increasing the total transaction to $85.1B.

“We are extremely proud of the businesses we have built at 21st Century Fox, and firmly believe that this combination with Disney will unlock even more value for shareholders as the new Disney continues to set the pace at a dynamic time for our industry,” said Rupert Murdoch, Fox’s Executive Chairman, according to Deadline. “We remain convinced that the combination of 21CF’s iconic assets, brands and franchises with Disney’s will create one of the greatest, most innovative companies in the world.”

In light of the new Disney offer, Fox has reportedly not concluded that the June offer from Comcast would count as a “superior proposal,” as per the existing merger agreement with Disney, but the new amended offer still allows the Fox board of directors to evaluate a new competing proposal.
    https://www.newsarama.com/40474-disn...st-report.html