Page 41 of 325 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    They are not going to bother getting right as they have already said they make original stories and the Phoenix Saga is not that long to warrant a trilogy or even a two parter.
    You kinda do need at least three or more movies to do it properly.
    You need one or two movies building Jean Grey as a main character that people care a lot for, without ever even hinting at anything Phoenixy.
    And then you have two movies: one for the Phoenix saga and one for the Dark Phoenix saga.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Not under Feige and the MCU. Yes, they are TV failures and the Netflix shows are fading in quality, but they are not the MCU.

I can't wait for the MCU to give us a Phoenix Saga to be proud of....and to work up to it with pacing and character development.
    Can the MCU even touch the Phoenix Saga and make it a success after it's been done twice? Will the GA want to watch a third interpretation of the same storyline? It's a shame for the MCU to get the rights of the X-Men only to have the most famous storyline be in doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Can the MCU even touch the Phoenix Saga and make it a success after it's been done twice? Will the GA want to watch a third interpretation of the same storyline? It's a shame for the MCU to get the rights of the X-Men only to have the most famous storyline be in doubt.
    Well, if they really wanted to do it, they could. Just take their sweet time getting to it. Do at least two or three movies before even touching anything close to Phoenix, just setting up Jean and the other X-Men. Maybe even have Jean 'retire' ala Giant Sized, only to go on a date with Scott one night and be swept up into all sorts of madness(the original Phoenix saga). By then it will have been years since Fox's version(assuming it even gets released), and if they actually do the proper Claremont version, it will be so different from Fox's attempt(s) that it will still stand on its own.

That said, I'd be game for skipping the Phoenix in the MCU and do the Brood Saga instead. It's more balanced amongst the cast, you can even loop in Carol from the Captain Marvel branch and let her go Binary after Rogue steals her powers in Captain Marvel 2, and it still has Shi'Ar, space opera, and huge power displays and all that, plus the Brood could be reallly scary on screen and Disney will own the Aliens rights too, so they can borrow as they please. Sets up the New Mutants spin off nicely too, like in the comics(Xavier assumes the X-men are lost in space/dead and makes a new team/actually is implanted with a Queen embryo too and is seeking out more mutant hosts)!!!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Niffleheim

with their aversion of origin stories i don't see Marvel Studio repeatedly beat the dead horse that is the ps or dark phoenix saga. All they will need is a title of a comic book story arc (well known or otherwise) and then they give it their own spin of that story to make a movie.
    Last edited by Tofali; 07-24-2018 at 12:41 AM.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    Can they clear the palate of movie-goers? It may actually be a long time before we see an X-Men movie under Marvel Studios for that reason. They aren't just going to crank out a movie willy-nilly. The X-Men should have a level of reverence above the Avengers. It's a strange, good time to be an older X-fan. We saw them rise into popularity over most comic book heroes in the 80's and 90's, fall from grace (being killed off, no merch, overrun etc) during the 2000's and are on the precipice of greatness again...how will it be handled?

Yeah X-MEN fell off hard.

Time for X-MEN to be Uncanny again
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    they are not the future in regards to projects under the Disney umbrella so you would be absolutely incorrect.
    This thread is NOT JUST ABOUT THE "DISNEY UMBRELLA."

YOU don't decide what is or is not discussed in here. Movies that have yet to be released ARE part of the future whether you like them or not. Period. Dark Phoenix, New Mutants, Gambit, X-23, Multiple Man, WHATEVER. ESPECIALLY because we have no details WHAT Disney's plans are, AND because Disney has already said Fox will continue operating as normal for the next few years as everything is finalized.

So you want a thread about MCU X-Men only, START ONE, because THIS thread doesn't specify anything of the sort.
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 07-24-2018 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    Isn’t that what the 90s show did? I remember Jean becoming Dark Phoenix not long after becoming Phoenix.
    They aired the two part Out of the Past where the Reavers and Morlocks find a Shi'ar vessel in the summer on two Saturday nights with a two parter of Power Rangers as a double feature they were special new episodes for both shows kicking off new storylines.

September they aired the 5 episode Phoenix Saga every week day afternoon for one week.

Then aired 3 separate episodes involving the Savage Lands and Archangel during September and November in the shows normal Saturday morning timeslot finally airing the 4 part Dark Phoenix Saga in November.

No thanks. I recognize how important the Phoenix is to the X-Men, but I’m far more interested in its effect on the X-Men AFTER. Give me an Inferno movie with a Tom Holland and Doctor Strange cameo. Give me an OZT/X-Tinction Agenda with U-Men and Weapon Plus. Give me a Brood invasion body horror story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    No thanks. I recognize how important the Phoenix is to the X-Men, but I’m far more interested in its effect on the X-Men AFTER. Give me an Inferno movie with a Tom Holland and Doctor Strange cameo. Give me an OZT/X-Tinction Agenda with U-Men and Weapon Plus. Give me a Brood invasion body horror story.
    And this is why NOT doing a hard reboot makes sense. They don't need to worry about covering their origins again. They don't need to go through the Phoenix again. Use Infinity Stones, or reality warping, or Secret Wars-style event to bring the two (or more; there's still the Gifted, Legion, and Logan's timelines) universes together, and move forward from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    And this is why NOT doing a hard reboot makes sense. They don't need to worry about covering their origins again. They don't need to go through the Phoenix again. Use Infinity Stones, or reality warping, or Secret Wars-style event to bring the two (or more; there's still the Gifted, Legion, and Logan's timelines) universes together, and move forward from there.
    Nah, the casting and scripting for the FoXMen needs top down change. And I’d make Jubilee the central POV character.

I’m thinking Homecoming-style reboot.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 07-24-2018 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    This thread is NOT JUST ABOUT THE "DISNEY UMBRELLA."

YOU don't decide what is or is not discussed in here. Movies that have yet to be released ARE part of the future whether you like them or not. Period. Dark Phoenix, New Mutants, Gambit, X-23, Multiple Man, WHATEVER. ESPECIALLY because we have no details WHAT Disney's plans are, AND because Disney has already said Fox will continue operating as normal for the next few years as everything is finalized.

So you want a thread about MCU X-Men only, START ONE, because THIS thread doesn't specify anything of the sort.
    The thread was actually created to talk about the Fox/Disney merger though? You're taking the title out of context on this one.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Nah, the casting and scripting for the FoXMen needs top down change. And I’d make Jubilee the central POV character.

I’m thinking Homecoming-style reboot.
    Yeah, they need wholesale change, abandoning all past X-Men movies as if they never existed. They can introduce Mutants into the MCU in the upcoming slate of movies before launching any kind of actual X-Men movie. And frankly, Dark Phoenix, New Mutants and all other in-development projects are a sunk cost at this point. I wouldn't even release them at all unless they're amazing, which it doesn't seem like they are.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    The thread was actually created to talk about the Fox/Disney merger though? You're taking the title out of context on this one.
    Announced projects from Fox have been discussed in this thread from the beginning. The fact is NO ONE knows what Disney has planned once the sale completes. It's ALL speculation. Hell, it's still speculation the sale will go through (however "certain" it may seem, it's still not impossible that the lawsuit may stop it, or the shareholders vote it down). And even if/when it does, it's going to take several MORE years to finalize, and as I said, Disney has already said that Fox will be running as usual. It's going to be at LEAST 3-4 years before we start getting any concrete information what their direction will be. And NO ONE has any more legitimate of an idea as to what that will entail as anyone else.

Disney may hard reboot. They may soft reboot. They may not do any sort of reboot at all and merge the universes whole cloth. Anyone who claims to have any better knowledge than anyone else is just plain full of themselves.
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 07-24-2018 at 06:02 AM.

BANNED

One of the things the MCU has done so brilliantly is make good comics storylines into good or better movies. Civil War simply wouldn't have worked as a straight translation to film, what they did instead was much more effective. The same could be said for how they changed the motivations for Thanos. You see the soul of storyline, but they change the translation to adapt it better to film.

So I trust that we'd see a Phoenix Saga, but perhaps changed a bit to still tell the heart of the story, but in a way we might not expect. That freshness/unexpected angle might be the saving grace for that storyline. And all of their storylines really.

New mutants is probably the only fox film that might see the light of day only because it showed a trailer and maybe halfway done.

I can see everything else getting stuck in development hell or being stealth-cancelled behind the scenes till the MCU think tank figures out what they're apprach is.

Some of the solo films like Multiple Man and Gambit might be reconcieved to fit the MCU. New mutants might be used the same way.