Page 5 of 325 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

I like Grace Randolph's idea about a potential reboot.

Basically, don't start with the 05 but respect their existence. And then built from there.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    You know why. The usual complaints. Thr O5 are boring. Its not diverse enough. The popular characters arent included....etc
    They're really not, though. Diversity is debatable since you have Jean and Bobby to start with, and there's the option if it's its own animated universe to shift stuff about. I've got no objection to them tackling the Uncanny team instead of course, but I have a soft spot for the 05 and honestly if Into The Spider Verse does well I could see Marvel Studios considering something similar, and why not do a loose adaption of Bendis' 05 story with the original team meeting a modern one?

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    I like Grace Randolph's idea about a potential reboot.

Basically, don't start with the 05 but respect their existence. And then built from there.
    Seems ok to me: not sure about her Xavier pick. Seems a little too on the nose. I haven't seen the majority of these actors/films, so I can't comment too much on the rest.

As for her roster, you've gotta have Jean Grey, and drop the freaking Cyke/Jean/Logan love triangle. Just get rid of it. Kaput. Dunzo. I also don't like skewing Cyclops younger.

Lastly, this is the first time I've actually watched one of her videos, and, man, is her tone of voice grating. Too high a register, and it hardly varies. Just all squeak, all the time. I know she's an internet film critic, but a little voice training/variation couldn't hurt.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Hmm...yeah, I’d like to see something like Spider-man Homecoming which avoids the origin story altogether and just hits the ground running. I still say a loose adaptation of Night of the Sentinels, the two parter that kicked off the 90s Animated Series, combined with the Mutant Massacre would be the perfect way to reboot the X-men in the MCU. You start with the POV character, in that case Jubilee, finding out she’s a mutant and being hunted by Sentinels. The X-men step in, save her, and you find out who they are when she wakes up at the mansion and escapes. As “Alice” tumbles down the proverbial “rabbit hole” here, she discovers this whole world right under her nose, where mutants are openly hunted and rounded up and forced to register with the government. In many cases they end up in camps if the government deems their powers dangerous, which happens more often than not. And yet most of the American public and even people around the world are oblivious to it. Those who know, turn a blind eye.

Later, this kind of evolves into a murder mystery where mutants are being massacred in the tunnels beneath NYC, where they’ve established a kind of colony where they can seek sanctuary. Of course, this leads to the Marauders and Sinister as the big bad of the film, but the Mutant Registration Act, Project Wideawake and the Department of Mutant Corrections (DMC) run through the film as undercurrents, establishing this sub-world we suddenly find ourselves in within the MCU, which is very dark and certainly not the kind of thing the Avengers would condone if they were aware.

You also have to establish where mutants have been and why they’re just now showing up, of course. Why doesn’t, say, Captain America know about them? I think there could be a cool flashback scene at some point, maybe not in this film but in a future one, where Logan and Rogers meet and realize that they met during WWII...but that’s probably best saved for later. At any rate, if mutants have been around, why is the public just now finding out about them? There are several options, but here’s the one I really like as it plays on House of M and also incorporates some cool stuff from the Ultimate Universe where mutants were actually a government experiment spinning out of WWII, much like Captain America...

- I’d have it so that X-gene mutations in humans, which produce superhuman powers, have existed in a handful of cases throughout history. En Sabah Nur, Selene, Gideon...in fact, many select figures throughout history (Genghis Khan? Abraham? Jesus Christ?) may have been mutants. They have the pure form of the X-gene.

- During WWII, while the Allies were focused on the Super Soldier Program which gave us Captain America, the Nazis were obviously running their own experiments. In one of these, they took cells from a man who couldn’t be killed (Logan), who some German soldier had encountered at the Battle of Verdun in WWI and written about and later a Nazi spy somehow obtained samples of this man’s blood; and they tried to replicate his X-gene. Many people injected with it died, but it was successful in the case of one young boy, Erik Lensherr (Mutant Zero).

- From there, many suspect due to the atomic bombs being dropped at Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the onset of the nuclear age, this new form of the X-gene took off rapidly, showing up in a great number of births from the late 1940s onwards. This caused a lot of panic throughout the decades, first in the 60s as more and more reports of mutants started to surface, and then through the 70s and 80s; until finally, after the end of the Cold War, an agreement was reached by major world governments to erase the mutant threat.

- They turned to a mystic named Magda, who had been in the employ of the Kremlin for many years, and broadcast her spell across the world using their satellites; which stemmed the flow of mutant births to almost nothing and wiped the minds of everyone on the planet in terms of even remembering the mutant menace. So mutants were all but forgotten. A few did remain, however, and Charles Xavier was one of those. For years, in secret, he has been harboring the few and far between mutants who popped up. And SHIELD, of course, was aware of this and supported his efforts to safely contain mutants and train them in the use of their powers, so long as he kept them hidden from the world at large.

This kind of establishes Charles as “in the know”, which will be important when we get to the Illuminati and Secret Invasion for the next MCU phase.

Now, after whatever happens in Avengers 4, however, something has caused mutant births to tick back up again. And this has led to the United States and other world governments launching Project Wide Awake, in secret, and unleashing the Sentinels. As more and more stories are popping up about mutants and this secret program which employs giant mutant hunting robots to contain them, the world has finally gone public again regarding “the mutant menace” and the United States Congress has passed the Mutant Registration Act. This is essentially where we find ourselves at the start of “The Uncanny X-men”, which would be the first X-men film in the MCU (unless you count Deadpool and X-Force as already being in the MCU, which I would).

Okay, that’s enough. Just a few crazy ideas. But something like that could work IMO. It sets up this dark underside to the MCU which mutants have to exist in, explains where they’ve been and why no one really knew about them until now, and has this major conspiracy element to it that unravels which gels nicely with Secret Invasion and the conspiratorial tone of that, should that be the next big MCU phase. In fact, it could later come out that highly placed Skrulls within world governments were behind the “erasure” of the mutants on M-Day so that humanity wouldn’t have a super powered populace to fight them and their subversive takeover of the Planet Earth.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 06-21-2018 at 08:26 AM.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Just do a X-Men First Class animated movie with Scott, Hank, Warren, Bobby and Jean and go from there.

No animation for me, thanks. Marvel sucks at it nowadays, and it seems like they'd be pigeon-holing the X-Men into their own animated ghetto.

Now an animated X-Men TV series, I'd be all about.

Or do you mean animated as in CG? Either way, not my preferred medium.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    No animation for me, thanks. Marvel sucks at it nowadays, and it seems like they'd be pigeon-holing the X-Men into their own animated ghetto.

Now an animated X-Men TV series, I'd be all about.

Or do you mean animated as in CG? Either way, not my preferred medium.
    I'd be all for an animated series too, certainly one of the most exciting prospects of having the licence back. Would be nice if they pulled a Young Justice and revived Wolverine and the X-Men for example...

And I meant like either Big Hero Six or a more comic-eqse look like Into the Spider Verse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    Seems ok to me: not sure about her Xavier pick. Seems a little too on the nose. I haven't seen the majority of these actors/films, so I can't comment too much on the rest.

As for her roster, you've gotta have Jean Grey, and drop the freaking Cyke/Jean/Logan love triangle. Just get rid of it. Kaput. Dunzo. I also don't like skewing Cyclops younger.

Lastly, this is the first time I've actually watched one of her videos, and, man, is her tone of voice grating. Too high a register, and it hardly varies. Just all squeak, all the time. I know she's an internet film critic, but a little voice training/variation couldn't hurt.
    At this point, I think it needs a serious deconstruction. To show people just how bad and damaging it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmd_Breetai View Post
    I think Avengers 4 is the best point to bring the X-Men in. At some point the good guys will have the Infinity Gauntlet to bring back the 50% of the people of the universe. At that point, unexpected things could happen.
    Given we know there's time travel involved they can do just about anything, but Reed and Xavier teases at the end would be a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    At this point, I think it needs a serious deconstruction. To show people just how bad and damaging it is.
    ...or they just replace it with the Scott/Jean/Emma love triangle. Logan can go and hook up with Storm or something.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Hmm...yeah, I’d like to see something like Spider-man Homecoming which avoids the origin story altogether and just hits the ground running. I still say a loose adaptation of Night of the Sentinels, the two parter that kicked off the 90s Animated Series, combined with the Mutant Massacre would be the perfect way to reboot the X-men in the MCU. You start with the POV character, in that case Jubilee, finding out she’s a mutant and being hunted by Sentinels. The X-men step in, save her, and you find out who they are when she wakes up at the mansion and escapes. As “Alice” tumbles down the proverbial “rabbit hole” here, she discovers this whole world right under her nose, where mutants are openly hunted and rounded up and forced to register with the government. In many cases they end up in camps if the government deems their powers dangerous, which happens more often than not. And yet most of the American public and even people around the world are oblivious to it. Those who know, turn a blind eye.

Later, this kind of evolves into a murder mystery where mutants are being massacred in the tunnels beneath NYC, where they’ve established a kind of colony where they can seek sanctuary. Of course, this leads to the Marauders and Sinister as the big bad of the film, but the Mutant Registration Act, Project Wideawake and the Department of Mutant Corrections (DMC) run through the film as undercurrents, establishing this sub-world we suddenly find ourselves in within the MCU, which is very dark and certainly not the kind of thing the Avengers would condone if they were aware.

You also have to establish where mutants have been and why they’re just now showing up, of course. Why doesn’t, say, Captain America know about them? I think there could be a cool flashback scene at some point, maybe not in this film but in a future one, where Logan and Rogers meet and realize that they met during WWII...but that’s probably best saved for later. At any rate, if mutants have been around, why is the public just now finding out about them? There are several options, but here’s the one I really like as it plays on House of M and also incorporates some cool stuff from the Ultimate Universe where mutants were actually a government experiment spinning out of WWII, much like Captain America...

- I’d have it so that X-gene mutations in humans, which produce superhuman powers, have existed in a handful of cases throughout history. En Sabah Nur, Selene, Gideon...in fact, many select figures throughout history (Genghis Khan? Abraham? Jesus Christ?) may have been mutants. They have the pure form of the X-gene.

- During WWII, while the Allies were focused on the Super Soldier Program which gave us Captain America, the Nazis were obviously running their own experiments. In one of these, they took cells from a man who couldn’t be killed (Logan), who some German soldier had encountered at the Battle of Verdun in WWI and written about and later a Nazi spy somehow obtained samples of this man’s blood; and they tried to replicate his X-gene. Many people injected with it died, but it was successful in the case of one young boy, Erik Lensherr (Mutant Zero).

- From there, many suspect due to the atomic bombs being dropped at Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the onset of the nuclear age, this new form of the X-gene took off rapidly, showing up in a great number of births from the late 1940s onwards. This caused a lot of panic throughout the decades, first in the 60s as more and more reports of mutants started to surface, and then through the 70s and 80s; until finally, after the end of the Cold War, an agreement was reached by major world governments to erase the mutant threat.

- They turned to a mystic named Magda, who had been in the employ of the Kremlin for many years, and broadcast her spell across the world using their satellites; which stemmed the flow of mutant births to almost nothing and wiped the minds of everyone on the planet in terms of even remembering the mutant menace. So mutants were all but forgotten. A few did remain, however, and Charles Xavier was one of those. For years, in secret, he has been harboring the few and far between mutants who popped up. And SHIELD, of course, was aware of this and supported his efforts to safely contain mutants and train them in the use of their powers, so long as he kept them hidden from the world at large.

This kind of establishes Charles as “in the know”, which will be important when we get to the Illuminati and Secret Invasion for the next MCU phase.

Now, after whatever happens in Avengers 4, however, something has caused mutant births to tick back up again. And this has led to the United States and other world governments launching Project Wide Awake, in secret, and unleashing the Sentinels. As more and more stories are popping up about mutants and this secret program which employs giant mutant hunting robots to contain them, the world has finally gone public again regarding “the mutant menace” and the United States Congress has passed the Mutant Registration Act. This is essentially where we find ourselves at the start of “The Uncanny X-men”, which would be the first X-men film in the MCU (unless you count Deadpool and X-Force as already being in the MCU, which I would).

Okay, that’s enough. Just a few crazy ideas. But something like that could work IMO. It sets up this dark underside to the MCU which mutants have to exist in, explains where they’ve been and why no one really knew about them until now, and has this major conspiracy element to it that unravels which gels nicely with Secret Invasion and the conspiratorial tone of that, should that be the next big MCU phase. In fact, it could later come out that highly placed Skrulls within world governments were behind the “erasure” of the mutants on M-Day so that humanity wouldn’t have a super powered populace to fight them and their subversive takeover of the Planet Earth.
    This could work. I like this premise a lot.

Wouldn't be that hard to sell that the mass extinction from Thanos' finger snap and/or the (insert person/thing/event that undoes it in A4) would be enough to trigger people's latent X-gene.

Quote Originally Posted by LegendOfTheAngryBlonde View Post
    This could work. I like this premise a lot.

Wouldn't be that hard to sell that the mass extinction from Thanos' finger snap and/or the (insert person/thing/event that undoes it in A4) would be enough to trigger people's latent X-gene.
    Exactly! And then, boom, M-Day is undone and mutants start popping up. Also, it makes a lot of folks angry as they begin to find out that the government and SHIELD, or at least Fury, were complicit in the cover up. So more drama and mistrust, especially from the mutant side. Explains why they've got such a chip on their shoulder and the sudden (re)emergence of them explains why they're so hated and feared by normal folks.

Even if Comcast some how ends up with Fox, likely they will work with Disney like Sony is doing with Spider-man.

The way I'd introduce mutants would be having the Brotherhood and Rogue appear in a Captain Marvel sequel. Instead of mutants first appearing as heroes, they're villains. The world of the MCU sees them as dangerous and destructive and Mystique sends Rogue to attack and nearly kill Carol.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    ...or they just replace it with the Scott/Jean/Emma love triangle. Logan can go and hook up with Storm or something.
    I always like Logan and Storm together.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Since the MCU has already hinted at the Celestials(even if in a very different fashion from the comics) and there is a supposed Eternals film coming, why not just go with the official comic origin for mutants: the Celestials implanted the X-gene into humanity in the distant past, as an experiment. You can even flesh out this concept in the Eternals film, with the Deviants another offshoot. Apocalypse can be the Thanos for the X-Men line, and just dangle that mystery over the next decade until you get full Apocalypse in a Celestial Ship as the big bad towards the end, maybe mixing in some stargate type thing to bring the Celestials back to earth as a tie in to the usual MCU style. Galactus can be in the FF line and even hint at him knowing about the Celestials' plot and that's why he's trying to eat earth first! You could even go the Earth X route and say there is a baby Celestial inside the earth, and that's why the Celestials put the X-gene, Deviants/Eternals on earth, to protect their developing child.

As for why the mutants haven't been seen yet, just tie that in with the Infinity Gauntlet. When they undo Thanos's killshot, they rearrange something so the mutants are just now activating en mass, whereas before they were exceedingly rare and mostly regarded as legends/myths.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Since the MCU has already hinted at the Celestials(even if in a very different fashion from the comics) and there is a supposed Eternals film coming, why not just go with the official comic origin for mutants: the Celestials implanted the X-gene into humanity in the distant past, as an experiment. You can even flesh out this concept in the Eternals film, with the Deviants another offshoot. Apocalypse can be the Thanos for the X-Men line, and just dangle that mystery over the next decade until you get full Apocalypse in a Celestial Ship as the big bad towards the end, maybe mixing in some stargate type thing to bring the Celestials back to earth as a tie in to the usual MCU style. Galactus can be in the FF line and even hint at him knowing about the Celestials' plot and that's why he's trying to eat earth first! You could even go the Earth X route and say there is a baby Celestial inside the earth, and that's why the Celestials put the X-gene, Deviants/Eternals on earth, to protect their developing child.

As for why the mutants haven't been seen yet, just tie that in with the Infinity Gauntlet. When they undo Thanos's killshot, they rearrange something so the mutants are just now activating en mass, whereas before they were exceedingly rare and mostly regarded as legends/myths.
    Also very solid ideas here. I like it!