Page 174 of 215 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184 ... LastLast
Results 2,596 to 2,610 of 3211

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Probably more so to act as Harley's motivation for even being involved in this mess. They had to shove her in the story as I think DC wanted her to be involved in it.
    Well, at least it is some innovation. She is first fridged and then too pure and innocent for this world; usually it's the other way around.

But it sure as hell isn't an improvement.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    'The audience not getting it ' is the first excuse hacks(comic or otherwise)use to justify terrible ideas and downplay the backlash they recieve.
    A similar thing should be said when it comes to discussing Grant Morrison DC work and how complex that was.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    A similar thing should be said when it comes to discussing Grant Morrison DC work and how complex that was.
    Tbf his work is very marmite. If you like meta textual stuff and are aware of lobg continuity if you dont then you wont.

HIC is just garbage. As a guy with mental health issues I was super hyped for something to adress them in a mainstream respectful way. Then it turned out to be a terrible terrible wreck of a book.

Amazing Member

In response to the question about what Babs did to Ted and why they are now "friends":

Babs wanted to short-circuit the fight and make them truly confront each other by talking. Seems to me she was taking a big risk. I guess she thinks she really knows Harley? And Ted probably figured it out after that. Booster is being portrayed as super-stupid - he's just along for the ride. And Harley (the star of this series) can do no wrong - she's, like, just so darn lovable .
    Last edited by DoodleMaster; 03-28-2019 at 05:36 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Because they expect you to buy whatever it is no matter how much of a mess it is.

Because your favorite is in it-you are obligated to support it. If you don't the writer gets to insult you-see New 42 Static Shock series.
    The issue is folks are now starting to get tired of it and many are walking away.

If they wanted a story about mental illness-butchering Teen Titans or folks who have not been seen in 10-40 years is not the way to do it.

All this has shown is how Batman doesn't know it all. In fact no way on EARTH Batman would build a place like this.
    With ALL the folks he know? With all the training that he has had?

He of all folks would know you need PROFESSIONALS when dealing with illness.
    If this is Rebirth-you could use ANYONE and re image them as some mental help guru to deal with all this.

There should be consequences to the big 3 over this.

Think what Lex Luthor could do with this to trash Superman?
    Is Glorious Geoffrey around?
    Hotspot, Red Devil & Tattoo Man have families.
    What about the Outsiders?

But we all know nothing will happen.
    The only thing that could salvage this event is that the Trinity face consequences for their stupidity. Unfortunately, it seems like Wally is going to be scapegoated and the Trinity will get a free pass. Judging by how the death of Wally was handled in Titans, I'm pretty sure that the Trinity may have lied to them about what happened at Sanctuary.

The Outsiders haven't debuted in Rebirth yet but the Titans(those who are still alive anyways)should have a legitimate issue with the Justice League after this debacle.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    All this has shown is how Batman doesn't know it all. In fact no way on EARTH Batman would build a place like this.
    With ALL the folks he know? With all the training that he has had?

He of all folks would know you need PROFESSIONALS when dealing with illness.
    If this is Rebirth-you could use ANYONE and re image them as some mental help guru to deal with all this.

There should be consequences to the big 3 over this.

Think what Lex Luthor could do with this to trash Superman?
    Is Glorious Geoffrey around?
    Hotspot, Red Devil & Tattoo Man have families.
    What about the Outsiders?

But we all know nothing will happen.
    Disagree about Batman. Out of all the DC characters, Batman is the LAST person to ask about mental help. All the mental health professionals he knows are abosultely WORTHLESS at best... and become Supervillains at worst. He would be first in line to say that psychiatrists and the like are pseudo-science and don't work and the best way to deal with grief and pain is to put on a costume and make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else!! Wonder Woman and Superman may be interested in a place where people talk it out... but it goes against everything Batman has always stood for.

As for consequences... From the very basis of this concept I felt it was flawed and terrible... so I don't WANT there to be any consequences for this series. I want things to get glossed over and forgotten... the dead to find their way back alive and this can get shelved alongside the other hundred stories that never get mentioned again.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So how have the sales been for this story?
    I just checked ComiXology and it is sitting at the #1 spot, outselling Tec 1000. I’m honest to God shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I just checked ComiXology and it is sitting at the #1 spot, outselling Tec 1000. I’m honest to God shocked.
    I'm finding this hard to believe myself. Are you adding up the plethora of variants for Tec 1000?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    As one of the few Harley fans that frequent this forum, all in all this series might be the worst I've ever seen her written.
    Its actually really interesting to stumble on this opinion, as I see other people herald this series as one of the better depictions of Harley currently out there. I don't really know where to come down on that particular issue myself, but it just goes to show: different strokes for different folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So how have the sales been for this story?
    I know this only gives an idea, but here's the numbers Comichron's has for HiC:

#1- 140,699
    #2- 88,547
    #3- 83,794
    #4- 82,151
    #5- 79,087
    #6- 79,006

Also, I believe TK has said on his Twitter that some of the earlier issues have gone for second (or even third I think) printings. Make of that what you will.

Extraordinary Member

Just read #6.

What the hell IS this?

Something about Gnarkk spouting pseudo-psychological gooble-die-gook.

What?!

So glad I dumped the last three issues off my pull list. $22.50 AUD saved for something actually worth reading.

Page after page of 3 a.m. college party kitchen philosophy dressed up as a superhero comic.
    Last edited by brettc1; 03-29-2019 at 01:21 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Disagree about Batman. Out of all the DC characters, Batman is the LAST person to ask about mental help. All the mental health professionals he knows are abosultely WORTHLESS at best... and become Supervillains at worst. He would be first in line to say that psychiatrists and the like are pseudo-science and don't work and the best way to deal with grief and pain is to put on a costume and make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else!! Wonder Woman and Superman may be interested in a place where people talk it out... but it goes against everything Batman has always stood for.
    Leslie Thompkins?
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Leslie Thompkins?
    Leslie was more of a surgeon/internist, wasn't she? I do agree that Batman wouldn't outright dismiss psychology, as it plays a huge role in his modus operandi, but he might be skeptical of its therapeutic applications. Batman uses it as a tool of intimidation, not healing.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member

I'm pretty sure that the Trinity opening up a mental health facility without licensing or training is also illegal. (Depending on how it was registered)

Not that Harley is credible, but as a former mental health professional, surely she is at least sane enough to realize that Sanctuary was not a credible facility.

The Trinity should absolutely go to jail over this.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the Trinity opening up a mental health facility without licensing or training is also illegal. (Depending on how it was registered)

Not that Harley is credible, but as a former mental health professional, surely she is at least sane enough to realize that Sanctuary was not a credible facility.

The Trinity should absolutely go to jail over this.

Well, technically speaking the very fact that they operate as superheroes isn't very legal in the first place. They are tolerated and sort of sanctioned to be superheroes because 1. They are nessacary to deal with supervillians and crime that the goverment isn't capable of dealing with through normal means like police or the army. 2. They all work with law enforement and the goverment and never take law into their own hands. Once they've defeated a villian, they don't kill just hand them over to the authorites to go through the justice system. The diffence with Santuary is that they aren't working with any kind of offical authority at all, medical or govermental.

I assume (because it hasn't been very well explained) this was done to maintain confidentiality with the heroes secret identities. Were the heroes to be given real therapy by real professionals, that'd mean exposing their personal history and idententies. So they used an AI instead. I think what would've been a better option would have been to use real therapists, who consented to getting their memories wiped after they have finshed working with a patient. Heroes like Zatanna or J'onn could've easily done this. That way they could've been officially sanctioned by the medical professional, using real therapists while maintaining confidentiality. And what's so frusturating is if I could have thought of this, why couldn't they? Therapy using an AI/virtual reality and not through real human interaction is NOT healthy. Five seconds of research could show anyone that.
    Last edited by Batknight; 03-29-2019 at 12:11 PM.