Page 10 of 215 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    So having learned some more details about the book, this just keeps looking worse.

spoilers:
    On the stupid side, The Sanctuary, which has never been referenced before, has apparently been around for five years. Additionally, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman have somehow managed to keep it a secret despite various heroes coming in and out of it over the years. And to top it off, these three idiots apparently thought it was a good idea to solely surround these heroes with PTSD with holograms and robots.

And then there's the fact that the story is gonna be kicked off by everyone currently at the Sanctuary being murdered, so we can expect to see the bodies of some beloved minor characters.
    end of spoilers

I saw people yesterday drawing comparisons to Identity Crisis and now I'm thinking this will be just as awful.
    If that second line is true--the most hideous cliche in event comics--then yes, this will be Identity Crisis bad despite King's involvement (we always blamed IC on Meltzer but apparently it was heavily editorially driven.)

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with them being female. Look at characters like Magneto and Sabertooth...they've each killed hundreds of people yet somehow keep ending up on superhero teams.
    They shouldn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by lucius121 View Post
    I’m glad Harley is in this, looking forward to seeing more of her interactions with the DC universe, King writes Harley reasonably well so hopefully it’s enjoyable. This thread is very interesting there’s a lot of people who claim to know a lot about Harley Quinn but clearly haven’t read anything she appears in. Apparently she’s a mass murderer?

Anyway let’s hope King continues to show why he’s one of the top writers in comics today.
    Post-reboot, Harley murders a bunch of children with exploding handheld video games. And that’s on top of the people she killed when she was with the Joker.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

I don't judge things because they're different from 90's/early 2000's comics. I judge them initially based off what we're told and, should I give the book a shot, what I read. Do i have my biases? Of course, we all do. But there are tons of comics I love both from before and after that era. I think New Super-Man and the Justice League of China deserves a place among the all-time great DC runs, Green Lanterns made Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz my favorite GLs and with the exception of Hill's Tec/Outsiders, the only DC book I'm excited for right now is Justice League Odyssey, and with the exception of Azrael, none of the main characters in any of those three books existed or were doing much of anything relevant during my favorite era of DC. I'm biased yes, but I'm really not the "NOTHING WILL EVER BE AS GOOD AS BACK THEN" fan some people here try to make me out to be.

First, thank you for using my correct pronouns.

Second, I usually do give the things I suspect will be awful at least an issue. Not my fault that most of DC's offerings either aren't interesting to me (in those cases I typically keep my mouth mostly shut) or aren't up to par for me quality wise as a reader.

I'm on the Autistic Spectrum. This site is basically my equivalent to a fidget spinner. I almost always have it open and I'm rarely just here, usually working on something or watching something while I read and post. Posting here, with both positive and negative thoughts, is a way of keeping my cool and my focus. When something is announced or talked about that sounds exciting to me, I come on to rave about that.
    Thanks for the thoughtful response, Assam. You're one of the good ones for sure. When I read your final paragraph I did understand though I hadn't before. Thanks for explaining.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Thanks for the thoughtful response, Assam. You're one of the good ones for sure. When I read your final paragraph I did understand though I hadn't before. Thanks for explaining.
    Assam is definitely one of my favorite posters on this board for sure!
    Last edited by Jekyll; 06-14-2018 at 04:27 PM.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Spectacular Member

I'm excited since I've loved all of Tom King's limited series.

I do have a couple reservations though. Don't like Harley Quinn being a main character (that's just personal preference though so whatever). And honestly the Sanctuary idea is something I'd prefer to see explored without the "everyone just died" thing, and preferably with real, human professionals. I'm just really into seeing how these heroes work through whatever reasons they have for visiting Sanctuary.
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    King's "Everybody Loves Ivy" story established that Ivy hasn't killed anyone in the Rebirth continuity.
    Which is pretty ironic for a gal with "poison" in her name.

It would be like saying "Killer" Frost has never killed anyone, though I don't think they went that far .
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    https://twitter.com/TheBigBang_/stat...98851378352129

More info in above tweet:

• It's founded 5 years ago by Trinity
    • Only robots and holograms are working there
    • Only Trinity knows who visits the place. Nobody keeps records of the patients
    • Someone is murdering the patients
    • Harley and Booster are the prime suspects.
    Only in a Tom King book would Booster Gold be viewed as a possible murderer suspect alongside Harley Quinn of all people.

I don't remember what page I first posted on but I do like the art, just not the story going by the info that was posted.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Ultimate Member

So having learned some more details about the book, this just keeps looking worse.

spoilers:
    On the stupid side, The Sanctuary, which has never been referenced before, has apparently been around for five years. Additionally, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman have somehow managed to keep it a secret despite various heroes coming in and out of it over the years. And to top it off, these three idiots apparently thought it was a good idea to solely surround these heroes with PTSD with holograms and robots.

And then there's the fact that the story is gonna be kicked off by everyone currently at the Sanctuary being murdered, so we can expect to see the bodies of some beloved minor characters.
    end of spoilers

I saw people yesterday drawing comparisons to Identity Crisis and now I'm thinking this will be just as awful.
    So how many Teen Titans or Tim Drake's generation will get butchered in this?

We haven't seen the rest of Hotspot's teammates, Jason Rusch, Conner Kent & Bart around lately.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

We haven't seen the rest of Hotspot's teammates, Jason Rusch, Conner Kent & Bart around lately.
    Probably the benefit to most of Tim's generation being missing.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    You think it's going to suck based on what exactly?
    Tom King. I haven’t read anything of his hat hasn’t sucked. In my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Hmm.. That would be a plausible reason for why we haven’t heard from the YJ4 in Rebirth
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    They shouldn’t.

Post-reboot, Harley murders a bunch of children with exploding handheld video games. And that’s on top of the people she killed when she was with the Joker.
    For the most part I agree. It weakens the integrity of both the heroes and the villains.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

It's weird having a former CIA guy write about trauma.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    It's weird having a former CIA guy write about trauma.

It's weird having a former CIA guy use comics as a way to work through his own problems

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    It's weird having a former CIA guy use comics as a way to work through his own problems
    It’s not at all weird that an author taps their emotions and experiences to inform their work. In fact Scott Snyder talks about how his own fears and experiences influenced his run on Batman. That he was writing about himself to an extent. And that’s true of most authors. If you want to write from a genuine place, you write from yourself.

Tom King has lived many more lives than most comic authors, and his experiences enrich his work.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)