Page 121 of 215 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131171 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 3211

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    He also posted this:
    Sweet so Ollie is gonna shoot Roy's stupid trucker hat into the ocean. Finally something good from HiC.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Nevermind.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-15-2018 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    But if King didn't want to offend people, since he tweeted that he didn't like the cover, why have Mann draw it in the first place? After all he must have told him to draw it like that to begin with, right? If there's anything that I find distasteful here, it's that King seems to be trying to wash his hands off of it. If that was his vision, at least own up to it, why throw his artist under the bus like that.
    I would need to see some evidence before making THAT assumption. I don't think the writers have much input on what the covers look like. I know Daredevil went though about 4 years of the cover being 'Random artist shows Daredevil perched on roof or jumping though air...' Editors probably have some say on what is too spoilery or whatnot, but I've long suspected that they just have a huge file of unused pinup artwork for the monthly books that they just grab when they need.

Also, being a limited series... maybe he DID have some say in the art direction. But that direction was probably "Have Ivy dead on the ground drawing a flash symbol in blood' No more, no less. I've seen a few books with 'unused covers'... Specifically the old Superman vs. Spider-man crossover where there were about 4-5 different 'versions' of that cover from various angles and viewpoints.

It's quite possible the artist did his own thing with 'dead ivy drawing flash symbol' and King didn't like the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Once again a comic event that, while controversial, has tons of pretty art...
    Reminds me of Cry for Justice... Man I loved the art in that book... but storywise I couldn't get past issue 2 :P

penetrator of things

wow I didn't think my leak would go this far...
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

Nevermind.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-15-2018 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Are there people out there enjoying this book??

On this site anyway, it seems to be a mostly negative response to this storyline.
    Yes.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

But if King didn't want to offend people, since he tweeted that he didn't like the cover, why have Mann draw it in the first place? After all he must have told him to draw it like that to begin with, right?
    Not at all. Covers are very rarely micro-managed like this, sometimes the writer is barely involved with them, if at all: even it it doesn't appear to be the case here, I'd be very surprised if King had this level of detailed instruction to give to Mann.

And then, there's the fact that this cover is one that hadn't even gone trough the approval process. Covers get changed around this part of production all the time. There's no disrespect to Mann here.
    Last edited by BohemiaDrinker; 12-14-2018 at 07:27 PM.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Not at all. Covers are very rarely micro-managed like this, sometimes the writer is barely involved with them, if at all: even it it doesn't appear to be the case here, I'd be very surprised if King had this level of detailed instruction to give to Mann.

And then, ther's the fact that this cover is one tat hadn't even gone trough the approval process. Covers get changed around this part of production all the time. There's no disrespect to Mann here.
    Seriously.

No one recalls Rucka's "Rebirth" Wonder Woman run?

Is Aquaman going to react to Lagoon Boy's death? Who knows...
    I still don't even know what the relationship between Aquaman and Garth/Tempest is - was Garth ever his sidekick Aqualad, were they or are they friends, and so on. (I'm not even sure I've seen a conversation between them since The New 52 started.) So any connection between Orin and Lagoon Boy is just a flip of a coin these days...
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Are there people out there enjoying this book??

On this site anyway, it seems to be a mostly negative response to this storyline.

I like the premise of looking at how heroes deal with the mental stress of heroics. I would have enjoyed that book. But what we got instead is just... it would be laughably bad if it didn't piss me off so much.

Is Aquaman going to react to Lagoon Boy's death? Who knows...
    Is Aquaman going to react to Green Arrow littering in the ocean? Who knows...

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I like the premise of looking at how heroes deal with the mental stress of heroics. I would have enjoyed that book. But what we got instead is just... it would be laughably bad if it didn't piss me off so much.
    I quote this, for it's the truth!

Is Aquaman going to react to Green Arrow littering in the ocean? Who knows...
    The next time Aqualad appears he should be wearing that hat. Never mention it, no explanation given, just rockin' it.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I quote this, for it's the truth!

The next time Aqualad appears he should be wearing that hat. Never mention it, no explanation given, just rockin' it.
    Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if GA shot the arrow into water and it hits and kills Garth who just happened to be swimming by.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member

Because artistic vision doesn't always need to be censored to make sure someone's feelings don't get hurt. Comics aren't always supposed to hold your hand and make sure you don't get uncomfortable, especially with a story like this that's meant to be about shock value. But if King didn't want to offend people, since he tweeted that he didn't like the cover, why have Mann draw it in the first place? After all he must have told him to draw it like that to begin with, right? If there's anything that I find distasteful here, it's that King seems to be trying to wash his hands off of it. If that was his vision, at least own up to it, why throw his artist under the bus like that.
    If a comic's entire purpose is shock value, doing terrible things just to get people upset and garner reactions, why are you so indignant that people are upset about it? It's succeeding, even if the practice of it is detestable.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    I still don't even know what the relationship between Aquaman and Garth/Tempest is - was Garth ever his sidekick Aqualad, were they or are they friends, and so on. (I'm not even sure I've seen a conversation between them since The New 52 started.) So any connection between Orin and Lagoon Boy is just a flip of a coin these days...
    They have no relationship. The only time he ever interacted with Arthur in any real way was some brief snippets in Abnett's run and even that is making a mountain out of a molehill. Garth has not really interacted with Arthur in decades. They're strangers. When they meet Garth just shows deference to a King rather than a mentor.
    Last edited by Dred; 12-14-2018 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Why not, the complaints were legitimate. Regardless if you enjoy the story or not, you can't deny having a dead woman in a pinup pose on the cover of a major event is a bad look.
    No they weren’t. Just another instance of a particular subset of insufferable Poison Ivy fans using their usual abusive, gaslighting, bullying tactics to get their way again.

Astonishing Member

I don't care much for Ivy and I made the same complaint everyone else did when it first came out before the Ivy fans roused. It's not some crazy take only raving fans can make. It's actually so dang obvious that a large amount of people noticed it because, let me tell you, the Poison Ivy fanbase isn't big enough or loud enough to get what they want on their own. If they were she wouldn't be dead in the first place.

And I'm an expert on like the most consistently whiny, loud fanbase of the last 20 years that doesn't have enough power for DC to care about us.