Page 9 of 215 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    This has the potential to be a very powerful story. I’m all in.
    Same. More excited for this than anything since Flashpoint at least. Maybe looking forward to it as much as any series ever. The creative team is ideal and the concept is so freaking great. As I said in another post, a series like this from creators like this is why I read comic books.

BANNED

Reposting because it got immediately buried on the previous page.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    Seems weird to completely write off a story based off of that. You don't even have any true context, just baseless assumptions. I would just rather read the first issue and then decide.
    I fail to see how it's any less weird to get hyped based off a premise, as some people here have, than it is to be pessimistic based off a premise and significant details (Not baseless assumptions).

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    King does not get Booster Gold in any way so seeing him using him here just makes me even madder. The way he wrote Booster in his Batman story just showed me he has no idea what Booster Gold is about in any way these days. It is like he looked at a few issues of the JLI book and said "yep I is a Boosters expert nows".

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I fail to see how it's any less weird to get hyped based off a premise, as some people here have, than it is to be pessimistic based off a premise and significant details.
    Why does it upset you that people are hyped? Talented writer, amazing artist, intriguing concept. I see why people are taking a liking to this. You literally have no concrete facts on why this story will be awful. I like the facts and so far I don't see any.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

BANNED

Why does it upset you that people are hyped? Talented writer, amazing artist, intriguing concept. I see why people are taking a liking to this. You literally have no concrete facts on why this story will be awful. I like the facts and so far I don't see any.
    I'm not at all upset that people are hyped and I'm not sure where you got that. I was simply pointing out that just like it isn't odd to be hyped based off what we know, it's no less illogical to think it's gonna suck, as we all have different tastes.

You bring up "Facts" but again, the same facts that are getting you and others hyped (along with others) are the facts that make myself and others think this is gonna suck.

Mighty Member

I'm not at all upset that people are hyped and I'm not sure where you got that. I was simply pointing out that just like it isn't odd to be hyped based off what we know, it's no less illogical to think it's gonna suck, as we all have different tastes.

You bring up "Facts" but again, the same facts that are getting you and others hyped (along with others) are the facts that make myself and others think this is gonna suck.
    You think it's going to suck based on what exactly?
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

I’m glad there are people excited about this book. That’s what great about comics, there are plenty of different books out there for everyone. As for me, I have zero interest in reading this book.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    I agree with you 100%. This is not what I want to see in superhero comics. Superhero comics are supposed to be upbeat and fun, over the top sometimes and flashy. Yes, sometimes there is drama or even tragedy but the idea that being a superhero messes you up is wrong. This is too dark and depressing. This would work a lot better for vertigo or an indie comic, but not for main stream superheros.

The idea that being a superhero, saving the world and people traumatises and breaks a super hero is very dark and depressing.

And why does he keep on repeating the word violence? Yes superheroes do punch the bad guys, super heroes are a action, adventure genre but most super heroes aren't the punisher.
    Batman is more appealing as a superhero theme than Superman's, tragedy means development, development means growth, growth means hopeful and positive good ending. If everything started of having the story as cheerful and linear in being productively anti climatic, there would be no stakes or tension. Over the top Good guy in a good over the top world that beats the evil bad guy and it being fun only works in video games.
    Last edited by SpideyCeo; 06-14-2018 at 01:20 PM.

BANNED

You think it's going to suck based on what exactly?
    The details I posted about on the previous page, the seeming similarities between it and Identity Crisis and the fact that Booster is one of the main players, a character who King just completely butchered for the sake of putting him in this. And on a more subjective level, I don't think King is the right writer for this concept at all and it seems like the cast is primarily going to be made up of white A-listers and characters who didn't have trauma before King got a hold of them.

So having learned some more details about the book, this just keeps looking worse.

spoilers:
    On the stupid side, The Sanctuary, which has never been referenced before, has apparently been around for five years. Additionally, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman have somehow managed to keep it a secret despite various heroes coming in and out of it over the years. And to top it off, these three idiots apparently thought it was a good idea to solely surround these heroes with PTSD with holograms and robots.

And then there's the fact that the story is gonna be kicked off by everyone currently at the Sanctuary being murdered, so we can expect to see the bodies of some beloved minor characters.
    end of spoilers

I saw people yesterday drawing comparisons to Identity Crisis and now I'm thinking this will be just as awful.
    When I was in my early 20s I worked in a coffee shop and had a lot of regulars. One of them was a very depressed guy with good reason to be so. Nothing had ever worked out for him. He'd lost his wife to divorce, his career was in the toilet and he was making peanuts to teach adjunct at a community college and just everything always went wrong for the guy. He was like Schleprock from the Flintstones or Yepikhodov from the Cherry Orchard or like Sideshow Bob when he couldn't stop stepping on rakes that slapped him in the face.

For years after serving him and getting to know him better than most regulars I'd see him in the most random places. Our exchanges always went the same way:

Me: Hey man, how you doing?!
    Him: HORRIBLE.

After a time I couldn't help laughing. His response never changed. Eventually when I'd run into him our exchange changed slightly:

Me: Hey man, how you doing?!
    Him: HORRIBLE.
    Me (trying and failing to avoid laughing): Man, you are ALWAYS doing horrible!

I have a lot of sympathy for the guy in retrospect. I hadn't come near dealing with my own depression or bipolar disorder back then and had never tried therapy or anything else to do with mental health (I self-medicated instead - wrong move) so I was too flip with him. I thought then, "How can this guy hate absolutely everything?" Later I came to completely understand it because it happened to me, though never without leavening elements since the theatre I built comes with a great many friends, artists, audience, support even though it's difficult for me to enjoy my job even though it's everything I'd set out to do in life and I've been successful with it.

I still understand the knee-jerk reaction of my old acquaintance and I understand it better now (much better) than I did then, when I was dismissive of it while trying to cheer him up.

I don't mean to compare Assam to that guy but I am reminded of him when Assam tells us so many times how horrible a series sounds to them. And it almost seems like if the comics didn't come out in the 90s or aren't accurately portraying characters as they were in the 90s, their response to the question, "Hey Assam, what do you think about the new series?" will always be the same as that old acquaintance's was: "HORRIBLE."

I don't mean any offense with this anecdote. I love reading most of Assam's posts and think they're a great poster. I think the community here wouldn't be the same without them. But I can't help being reminded of that Schleprockian adjunct professor when I see that Assam's response to most DC comics, as soon as they're announced, as "HORRIBLE," followed by closely following news of a series they don't read but as they read recaps or comments the unread series becomes more and more "horrible."

The only thing I don't understand is spending so much time on something one hates. I can only imagine that producing unpleasant feelings and while I myself enjoy tragedy a lot more than comedy (I appreciate them both) and I always gravitate to suicidal musicians or playwrights or at least to depressive ones that can't be made happy (I identify) I spend so much time here because talking about a thing I love is therapeutic. For me at least talking so much about a thing I've come to loathe only ever exacerbates my unpleasant emotional disorders. Maybe it's my own mental health problems that account for that and it isn't the same for a person that doesn't have them. But while I would much rather listen to sad songs than peppy ones, I could never spend hours each day expressing how much I hate a thing, especially on a fan site for that very thing.

To me that's like going to a Trump fan page only to talk about what a disaster he is. That sounds like the opposite of fun to me. In fact it seems "HORRIBLE."

I just don't understand I guess.

I’m enjoying this immensely...

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I will say that despite my misgivings that I posted in the Superman-related thread regarding this title, I'm very worried for Booster. Tom King really did a number on him and so far it hasn't felt justified. I really loved all the work done on Booster in 52 and his solo book afterward, to say nothing of how much fun he was in JLI.

Tom King is a very hit-or-miss writer. I'm hoping, especially for the DCU left in this title's wake, that this is more Darkseid War Green Lantern/Mister Miracle/Grayson and less his current work in Batman (which admittedly had a few issues I enjoyed). When King works, though, he's wonderful so I'll always give him a shot even though I can be highly critical of him at times. I think my misgivings are largely based on that stupid Crisis rumor that now seems to have some merit and how much that synopsis reminds me of Identity Crisis and what that meant for the DCU going forward.

Clay Mann, though? I'm going to be pulling this for his pages alone.
    Last edited by Robanker; 06-14-2018 at 01:23 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I don't mean to compare Assam to that guy but I am reminded of him when Assam tells us so many times how horrible a series sounds to them. And it almost seems like if the comics didn't come out in the 90s or aren't accurately portraying characters as they were in the 90s, their response to the question, "Hey Assam, what do you think about the new series?" will always be the same as that old acquaintance's was: "HORRIBLE."
    I don't judge things because they're different from 90's/early 2000's comics. I judge them initially based off what we're told and, should I give the book a shot, what I read. Do i have my biases? Of course, we all do. But there are tons of comics I love both from before and after that era. I think New Super-Man and the Justice League of China deserves a place among the all-time great DC runs, Green Lanterns made Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz my favorite GLs and with the exception of Hill's Tec/Outsiders, the only DC book I'm excited for right now is Justice League Odyssey, and with the exception of Azrael, none of the main characters in any of those three books existed or were doing much of anything relevant during my favorite era of DC. I'm biased yes, but I'm really not the "NOTHING WILL EVER BE AS GOOD AS BACK THEN" fan some people here try to make me out to be.

I don't mean any offense with this anecdote. I love reading most of Assam's posts and think they're a great poster. I think the community here wouldn't be the same without them. But I can't help being reminded of that Schleprockian adjunct professor when I see that Assam's response to most DC comics, as soon as they're announced, as "HORRIBLE," followed by closely following news of a series they don't read but as they read recaps or comments the unread series becomes more and more "horrible."
    First, thank you for using my correct pronouns.

Second, I usually do give the things I suspect will be awful at least an issue. Not my fault that most of DC's offerings either aren't interesting to me (in those cases I typically keep my mouth mostly shut) or aren't up to par for me quality wise as a reader.

The only thing I don't understand is spending so much time on something one hates. I can only imagine that producing unpleasant feelings and while I myself enjoy tragedy a lot more than comedy (I appreciate them both) and I always gravitate to suicidal musicians or playwrights or at least to depressive ones that can't be made happy (I identify) I spend so much time here because talking about a thing I love is therapeutic. For me at least talking so much about a thing I've come to loathe only ever exacerbates my unpleasant emotional disorders. Maybe it's my own mental health problems that account for that and it isn't the same for a person that doesn't have them. But while I would much rather listen to sad songs than peppy ones, I could never spend hours each day expressing how much I hate a thing, especially on a fan site for that very thing.
    I'm on the Autistic Spectrum. This site is basically my equivalent to a fidget spinner. I almost always have it open and I'm rarely just here, usually working on something or watching something while I read and post. Posting here, with both positive and negative thoughts, is a way of keeping my cool and my focus. When something is announced or talked about that sounds exciting to me, I come on to rave about that.

I'm definitely intrigued by more of the scant details being released.

I kind of enjoy it when Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman think they have something under control or are doing good, only for it to go wrong in some way (whether their fault or not) and how they deal with rectifying the situation and fixing it.

I don't love it when they do things perfectly, despite their intentions or super abilities.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    King does not get Booster Gold in any way so seeing him using him here just makes me even madder. The way he wrote Booster in his Batman story just showed me he has no idea what Booster Gold is about in any way these days. It is like he looked at a few issues of the JLI book and said "yep I is a Boosters expert nows".
    I haven't read those issues yet but I do think that sometimes you need to give good writers the benefit of the doubt, Johns didn't write a good WW but towards the end of his JL run she was one of the best things about it. Maybe King's Booster will improve.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.