Page 127 of 215 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131137177 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 3211

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    You realize they sexualized a corpse, right?

And something can be problematic because of the excess of it, not that it exists at all. You're creating this black and white ultimatum and trying to say IT'S EITHER ONE OR THE OTHER PICK ONE because, go figure, it benefits the side that wants to see titties.
    Nonsense, if I wanted to see "titties", I won't look for them in a comic book. lol I was talking about from a broader perspective, not this particular image. I believe I covered this already.

One in a hundred male covers being sexy/sexualized/skimpy/whatever you want to call it is fine. It'd be the same for female covers. The problem is the proportion has been flipped for decades for female characters and we're only just barely starting to break the habit of how we treat women differently in fiction and in real life, with a whole lot of progress to go. But here you are, deflecting it to make it about male characters when a lot of us would absolutely love if female characters got as little objectification as males do. Your argument is awful, you're swapping the "victim" and claiming that the amount something happens doesn't matter. When the entire point of institutionalized and culturally ingrained mistreatment is about the frequency at which it occurs.

To point out the horrific flaws in your argument, if I pointed out the obvious statistical fact that black people are treated worse in America by white authorities, would your instant reaction be to bring up an instance of black on white hate crimes and tell me the proportion and frequency don't matter and we should treat these problems as equal and in need of equal reaction? I sure hope not, but it's what you're doing now. And I'm guessing it's because you don't see it as a problem so you're trying to minimize it by deflecting.
    Wow, you went from "deflecting" to "victim swapping" to "institutionalized mistreatment" to "hate crimes" like nobody's business. I will only say this because I believe I've already said pretty much everything I had to say on that topic - you do NOT get to make assumptions about my belief system based on my disagreement about "disproportionate objectification" in comics. I'm sorry to see that my comments have apparently triggered you this much, but don't you even try to assume things about me just because I don't share your views on this particular topic. Despite my disagreements with other people here, I never tried to personally attack people, let alone assume things about their character just because they see this subject differently than I do. Perhaps you can show me the same courtesy.

penetrator of things

wew is this conversation still going
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Nonsense, if I wanted to see "titties", I won't look for them in a comic book. lol I was talking about from a broader perspective, not this particular image. I believe I covered this already.

Wow, you went from "deflecting" to "victim swapping" to "institutionalized mistreatment" to "hate crimes" like nobody's business. I will only say this because I believe I've already said pretty much everything I had to say on that topic - you do NOT get to make assumptions about my belief system based on my disagreement about "disproportionate objectification" in comics. I'm sorry to see that my comments have apparently triggered you this much, but don't you even try to assume things about me just because I don't share your views on this particular topic. Despite my disagreements with other people here, I never tried to personally attack people, let alone assume things about their character just because they see this subject differently than I do. Perhaps you can show me the same courtesy.
    The hate crimes things is an analogous situation. It is a point of proof that the increased frequency of a societal problem is what makes it so bad and frustrating. That the more prevalent a problem the more energy and focus is needed to solve it. I never accused you of any hate crimes, I accused you of using a very bad argument that is used in that exact situation. It is the most basic kind of strawman -- someone brings up the over sexualization of female characters and your response is to go, "But here is an example of MALE characters being objectified! Doesn't this deserve EQUAL ATTENTION?" No. It does not deserve equal attention, because it is not of equal occurrence or relevance.

I also don't see how any of those things you quoted are either wrong or out of the scope of the topic.

I can refrain from using very basic analogies if you want, but that really limits the breadth of the conversation. I'm not insulting you, I'm trying to let you know why what you're saying is a bad argument. I have not called you any names or said anything about your character, unless you consider liking boobs an insult -- I didn't mean it to be. I have only pointed out how your argument is awful. Though that you unironically stamp the word "triggered" on your argument, as if caring about a topic makes someone incapable of discussing, and then pretend you're not insulting someone is really rich.

Quote Originally Posted by tako View Post
    wew is this conversation still going
    Eh, it's not like anything else has happened since you leaked it besides the admittance of fault. So now we're talking about if they should've pulled it or not. Maybe next issue when Wally strangles some random Titan to death we'll have something else to complain about.
    Last edited by Dred; 12-18-2018 at 12:53 AM.

The hate crimes things is an analogous situation. It is a point of proof that the increased frequency of a societal problem is what makes it so bad and frustrating. That the more prevalent a problem the more energy and focus is needed to solve it. I never accused you of any hate crimes, I accused you of using a very bad argument that is used in that exact situation. It is the most basic kind of strawman -- someone brings up the over sexualization of female characters and your response is to go, "But here is an example of MALE characters being objectified! Doesn't this deserve EQUAL ATTENTION?" No. It does not deserve equal attention, because it is not of equal occurrence or relevance.
    No, I understood that you were making analogies, I was surprised by the type of analogies you used to try to make your point.

Though that you unironically stamp the word "triggered" on your argument, as if caring about a topic makes someone incapable of discussing, and then pretend you're not insulting someone is really rich.
    I wasn't aware that pointing out to people that they seemed "triggered" by a comment equated to a personal insult. That's a new one. By all means, replace that word with "offended" or "bothered" if you felt it was a personal attack against you, which was never the intent.

In any event, I guess that's a "no" on showing me the same courtesy? Okay then.

Last edited by Johnny; 12-18-2018 at 01:30 AM.

Michael Hale followed up his piece on the fridging of Poison Ivy with another thoughtful article: Pushing Through the Pain of Heroes in Crisis

I can get behind heroes being and doing heroic things. I have long been a fan of superheroes as a set-piece for all kinds of stories, from the lighthearted to the super-serious varieties. Heroes in Crisis began, or rather seemed to have been pitched, as a murder mystery involving Sanctuary, the superhero recovery clinic which was established by Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman. What we have seen thus far of the Sanctuary space has been extremely limiting, but I think one sequence stands out the most as one of the most distressing things: Lagoon Boy being killed, in a sense killing himself, over and over again.

penetrator of things

Eh, it's not like anything else has happened since you leaked it besides the admittance of fault. So now we're talking about if they should've pulled it or not. Maybe next issue when Wally strangles some random Titan to death we'll have something else to complain about.
    complain about my nightwing leek then
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

Incredible Member

You realize they sexualized a corpse, right?

And something can be problematic because of the excess of it, not that it exists at all. You're creating this black and white ultimatum and trying to say IT'S EITHER ONE OR THE OTHER PICK ONE because, go figure, minimizing the problem is the only way to attack an obviously big problem.

One in a hundred male covers being sexy/sexualized/skimpy/whatever you want to call it is fine. It'd be the same for female covers. It wouldn't be some perfect, ideal utopia of how we view ourselves and each other but trying to be better doesn't have to utopia or bust.

The problem is the proportion has been flipped for decades for female characters and we're only just barely starting to break the habit of how we treat women differently in fiction and in real life, with a whole lot of progress to go. But here you are, deflecting it to make it about male characters when a lot of us would absolutely love if female characters got as little objectification as males do. You're swapping the "victim" and claiming that the amount something happens doesn't matter. When the entire point of institutionalized and culturally ingrained mistreatment is about the frequency at which it occurs.

To point out the horrific flaws in your argument, if I pointed out the obvious statistical fact that black people are treated worse in America by white authorities, would your instant reaction be to bring up an instance of black on white hate crimes and tell me the proportion and frequency don't matter and we should treat these problems as equal and in need of equal reaction? I sure hope not, but it's what you're doing now. And I'm guessing it's because you don't see it as a problem so you're trying to minimize it by deflecting.

And the thing is, most of us are probably ground down and overexposed to sexualized ladies in comics that we just tune it out 99% of the time. It happens so exhaustingly often there's no energy to get upset over how this panel contorts a woman entirely to show off her ass and bust at the same time and what not. The reason this one is here is because what is clearly intended to be a corpse spelling out a message in classic murder mystery fashion looks like something out of a pinup calendar.

I also don't see how any of those things you quoted are either wrong or out of the scope of the topic.

I can refrain from using very basic analogies if you want, but that really limits the breadth of the conversation. I'm not insulting you, I'm trying to let you know why what you're saying is a bad argument. I have not called you any names or said anything about your character, unless you consider liking boobs an insult -- I didn't mean it to be. I have only pointed out how your argument is awful. Though that you unironically stamp the word "triggered" on your argument, as if caring about a topic makes someone incapable of discussing, and then pretend you're not insulting someone is really rich.

Precisely. Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by tako View Post
    complain about my nightwing leek then
    DC sure is Leaking alot these days
    937126E7-561A-43D7-A248-DB71EAC511CB.jpg
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Who took the photo?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Who took the photo?
    The Same Person who took the Photo of Bane breaking Batman’s Back I assume
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

I know it's not canon anymore, but it's hard to think of "loss of hand" as the worst thing that's happened to him when he has his infant son died.

Extraordinary Member

Looking at these covers, the content of the book, and the tone of these debates....Rick James was right.....

So are these trauma file covers ever going to play a part in this story or what? Are they just reminders of bad things that happened to our heroes?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

Green Arrow#50 will tie into Heroes In Crisis and will also be a sequel to No Justice...it's also the final issue of the series.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12...oes-in-crisis/