Page 43 of 215 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    They had no clue what do with Kyle anymore as early as 2000.

Agreed.

Kyle was built on the idea of being the rookie who was tossed into the hero game unexpectedly and with no training... and it kind of worked. However that's a concept with a shelf life and once he WASN"T a rookie... then they lost focus with him. They kept upping the games by throwing MORE power at him than he could handle... ala Ion. and he was floundering pretty hard. He worked for a while... but it certainly wasn't Hal that made him get replaced... he was tailspinning anyway.

Post hal hasn't done him any favors either. They're still struggling to figure out what to do with him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    why'd they kill him off
    Eh.. spoilers:
    Long overdue if one were to ask me. Especially considering his history. By History I mean Pre-52 too.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Looks like we might have reasons why Mister Miracle will be at Sanctuary

spoilers:
    His whole life with Barda and his child seems to be a dream...I guess he never got over the reality Barda rejoined the furies and left him at the end of Darksied War (even if she struck that deal to save his life)
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Talk about heart broken and it makes me wonder what will Barda think of this when she learns of it ?
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    His whole life with Barda and his child seems to be a dream...I guess he never got over the reality Barda rejoined the furies and left him at the end of Darksied War (even if she struck that deal to save his life)
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I guess that explains all the continuity issues with the Kirby New Gods and the New 52/Rebirth New Gods.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Biggie Potential Spoiler Warning! -

spoilers:
    That thought certainly had crossed my mind. Seems like his suicide attempt could be the one thing that was real.
    end of spoilers

Ok. Something incredibly obvious just hit me(again, pretty big potential spoilers...) -

spoilers:
    What if the entire Mister Miracle maxi-series has been Scott already in The Sanctuary being treated?
    end of spoilers

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Ok. Something incredibly obvious just hit me(again, pretty big potential spoilers...) -

spoilers:
    What if the entire Mister Miracle maxi-series has been Scott already in The Sanctuary being treated?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Tom King stated that neither series spoiled each other on Twitter. This doesn't necessarily mean they are completely unconnected, but still, I feel it's not the case here.
    end of spoilers
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Had not come across that.

Good looking out.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Had not come across that.

Good looking out.
    He was replying to someone some one month ago. But I think your reasoning is sound, it's just gonna be something more self-contained.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Agreed.

Kyle was built on the idea of being the rookie who was tossed into the hero game unexpectedly and with no training... and it kind of worked. However that's a concept with a shelf life and once he WASN"T a rookie... then they lost focus with him. They kept upping the games by throwing MORE power at him than he could handle... ala Ion. and he was floundering pretty hard. He worked for a while... but it certainly wasn't Hal that made him get replaced... he was tailspinning anyway.

Post hal hasn't done him any favors either. They're still struggling to figure out what to do with him.
    I might agree in that DC might not have known what to do with Kyle by 2000, but there was certaily room for the character to grow more. Sure, the return of the Corps was something bound to happen sooner or later, and some might even argue that so was the return of Hal, but I think Kyle could have graduated just fine.

I think the biggest mistake, then and now, was to move Kyle to space. It is intrinsic to the character to be in an Earth or Earth-like setting and supporting cast.

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    I think the biggest mistake, then and now, was to move Kyle to space. It is intrinsic to the character to be in an Earth or Earth-like setting and supporting cast.
    I feel that way about just about every character. Supporting Cast MAKES the character I've long petitioned for Hal to be back home with his long time friends and coworkers and non-ring using enemies...

My mind's drawing a blank though... Who was Kyle's supporting cast? I remember (and I think it was a mistake) that nearly everyone in his life was a Superhero. Donna, Jade, Alan, John and Guy are the first ones I think about... I know he had an assistant that got beat up for being gay... but I can't rmemeber his name that caused Kyle to fly off to space for a while... Alex was killed immediately...

I'm sure there were some substantial characters for him to play off... but I don't remember. It's actually one of my problems when Spider-man joined the Avengers... and moved in. Heroes to be truly compelling characters need to have a solid life both WITH the mask and without it. They need family, friends, neighbors, bosses... something relatable.

When all they have is their hero identity... they get stale really quick.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I feel that way about just about every character. Supporting Cast MAKES the character I've long petitioned for Hal to be back home with his long time friends and coworkers and non-ring using enemies...

My mind's drawing a blank though... Who was Kyle's supporting cast? I remember (and I think it was a mistake) that nearly everyone in his life was a Superhero. Donna, Jade, Alan, John and Guy are the first ones I think about... I know he had an assistant that got beat up for being gay... but I can't rmemeber his name that caused Kyle to fly off to space for a while... Alex was killed immediately...

I'm sure there were some substantial characters for him to play off... but I don't remember. It's actually one of my problems when Spider-man joined the Avengers... and moved in. Heroes to be truly compelling characters need to have a solid life both WITH the mask and without it. They need family, friends, neighbors, bosses... something relatable.

When all they have is their hero identity... they get stale really quick.
    Terry, Jade, Donna, Radu, Alan Scott, Guy, John. Granted, 4 out of the 6 were superheroes, but at the time they showed up in the GL title, they had no active role in any other title (with the exception of Alan Scott in JSA and Donna in Titans).

Coincidentally, among Kyle's best GL issues (for me) were those with the Titans, and with the Legion.

Some new victims have been announced:

spoilers:
    Apparently Blue Jay, Lagoon Boy, Citizen Steel, and someone with a GL symbol (though who it is is unknown) join Arsenal and Hotshot in getting killed in the massacre.
    end of spoilers

From Comics Beat, reporting from a retailer preview (first 17 pages of the book).
    Last edited by Kaijudo; 09-21-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Some new victims have been announced:

spoilers:
    Apparently Blue Jay, Lagoon Boy, Citizen Steel, and someone with a GL symbol (though who it is is unknown) join Arsenal and Hotshot in getting killed in the massacre.
    end of spoilers

From Comics Beat, reporting from a retailer preview (first 17 pages of the book).
    Oh joy. This is so much fun isn't it?

Let's all hold our breath in fun suspense that our favorites hopefully won't be chosen to be wacked off.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Oh joy. This is so much fun isn't it?

Let's all hold our breath in fun suspense that our favorites hopefully won't be chosen to be wacked off.
    To be honest, I'd rather they die than become a murderer. It's easier to bring someone back from the grave than undo an entire period of their history in comics. If the rumors are true about a certain speedster, he would have been better off dead and he's my favorite of them all.