Page 51 of 215 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast

So I read the book

1. Clay Mann art is amazing

2. This issue is kinda of set up it does not have a lot there but there is a lot to unpack

spoilers:
    3.Body count Blue Jay,Hot spot, Wally West ,Arsenal,Commander Steel and some green merdude. The Blue jay death reveal was a bit unnecessarily brutal imo,It took me second to see it.

4. Harley Quinn and Booster gold are the suspects so far
    end of spoilers

I am in curious to where the story goes I am fine with stories have cost if the outcome tells a good story. Most people will focus on deaths but only reason we have these big death focus style events is because comics bring back people. If they left characters dead they could only sparingly use death as gimmick.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    So I read the book

2. This issue is kinda of set up it does not have a lot there but there is a lot to unpack

spoilers:
    3.Body count Blue Jay,Hot spot, Wally West ,Arsenal,Commander Steel and some green merdude. The Blue jay death reveal was a bit unnecessarily brutal imo,It took me second to see it.

end of spoilers

I am in curious to where the story goes I am fine with stories have cost if the outcome tells a good story. Most people will focus on deaths but only reason we have these big death focus style events is because comics bring back people. If they left characters dead they could only sparingly use death as gimmick.
    The green merdude is Lagoon Boy - his main claim to fame was a character in Young Justice season 2.
    DC's treatment of Wally West has pissed me off beyond reason. Un. F**king. Believable.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    So I read the book

spoilers:

end of spoilers

If someone is just going to come back what's the point in killing them?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'm genuinely re-evaluating if I want to continue with DC after this year thus far. I came back during Rebirth after lapsing for all of the New 52, and in 2018 they're upending everything they worked hard to set right with Aquaman, did the entire Batman #50 fiasco, shot Nightwing in the head and now this. They're basically going book-to-book with everything I was pulling and removing what I cared for in those titles. I'm finding more and more my posts are becoming negative and much like in 2011, I just don't think DC is going to publish books I want to support any longer. I generally try to stay positive and I've not been doing so hot there. Moves like this involving such a fan-favorite character, even if reversed, are executed so recklessly that I realize the only things not in consideration is telling a cohesive story with a plot, emotional payoff, or any semblance of respect for its audience or the work it builds upon. All the pretty artwork by Clay Mann can't offset that Tom King will just do whatever the damn hell he pleases, regardless of if it makes sense for a character, plot or what other writers are doing with those characters.

I'm enjoying some things they're releasing at the moment, but the list keeps getting shorter. Rather that continue to whine about recent trends at DC Comics, I think it's time I direct my attention elsewhere and calm down. There's always back issues. Didio continues to say one thing but direct the company in another. The company mantra seems to be that nothing matters unless it makes you wish your diet consisted of bullets and arsenic. Heroics require sacrifice, so people who go out of their way to help just because they like to aren't heroes in their own respect. The only stories worth telling are ones that can get a headline in printed media so we can sell a few more issues this month and then claim we only care for story.

spoilers:
    All these deaths--some of which are rather massive (these characters were kids when the Trinity started out, they watched them grow up)-- elicit only a bit of sadness in one member, but really not a whole lot of attention is paid to what is effectively their nephews being slaughtered by someone they knew. It's very dry and matter-of-fact. The dead could have been anyone and reactions would not need to be changed. It was mechanical in the most ugly way. Yes, it's one issue thus far, but it's pretty much shown that it's an event first and a story second. I'm out. It's one thing to execute fan-favorite characters, but to do so wantonly is awful.
    end of spoilers

I simply can't stay positive over the lion's share of DC's work anymore and HiC is making me seriously reconsider if I want to continue this hobby any further. Based on the trajectory of the DCU and Didio's usual comments, I'm unsure things are going to get better. If not, twenty years has been a good run, I guess.
    Last edited by Robanker; 09-26-2018 at 01:14 AM.

This was really a none issue, just loads of shock factor and not much else. Considering boosters involvement I can't see any of the deaths even being permanent. I'm hoping king takes it in a more interesting direction going forward.

I can already see the predictable fan reactions and noise marketing that's going to generate but I'm actually looking for a good story and some character development (especially from Harley) but I'm worried all we are going to get is the sensationalism especially with Dido's involvement.
    Last edited by lucius121; 09-26-2018 at 01:12 AM.

Art was good and writing was fine, but whole thing felt hallow. My initial reaction would be that King probably does not care about this anymore since his story was injected with mass murder and turned upside down. But at the same time I'm not sure if I'm not being too generous for him here.

I don't really care about any of the characters who were shown to be dead so their deaths really did nothing to me. And well if I cared about them I'm not sure if I'd be interested in this either. I suppose that in following issues we will get more of these interviews and will kinda work backwards to see who the killer is and at the same time we will get to know these killed characters better. But I'm not really sure if it matters since they are dead already.

On a positive side, I don't read Flash, I'm way behind on King's Batman and I haven't really read any of the interviews promoting this series so I knew nothing about this Sanctuary thing before reading, but I felt like I got what it was about and I'm not missing anything.

I'll probably check out second issue, but probably I won't go further if something interesting does not happen by then.

One death in paticular I feel wont stick but it makes it even worse that it happened in thr first place. It felt like nothing of value is being told here.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Just read the first issue. Art was good but as HsssH said, it felt like if Tom King was in automatic pilot during the issue, like if he didn't care at all. It sucked a lot that his original story got changed into this. I'm not fond of the idea of characters' death for shock value, it feels poor and cheap strategy and this issue wasn't an exception, it felt extremely lazy.

I wish Didio is soon kicked out of DC but sadly he is like cancer and AIDS, practically impossible to get rid off.

I feel they should have set up Sanctuary better. If one goes in this without having read the articles describing it then they would be lost as to what Sanctuary is exactly. Its not done well at all.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    I feel they should have set up Sanctuary better. If one goes in this without having read the articles describing it then they would be lost as to what Sanctuary is exactly. Its not done well at all.
    It just the first issue we will get details on it ,Part of mystery how they(bad guy) got the safety measures of the place. They will explain it more hopefully, this issue is just to set up "the who done it part"

I actually think Wally will be ok. He didn't get the talk to the camera moment that the rest did so I'm thinking he's still important to the story. Really loved the art and the atmosphere but it feels very disjointed and I feel kinda cheated with the premise of the story. Thought it was actually going to be some psychological evaluations of the heroes and not start off with a mass murder before we even get to see how the sanctuary runs. The Harley/Booster interactions felt like it could've been told all in one go instead of just cutting the scene over and over again. I don't like the 9 panel grid either that King keeps using. I'm also super confused on why Superman/Batman/WonderWoman weren't there in the first place either considering we know that they are patients there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'm genuinely re-evaluating if I want to continue with DC after this year thus far. I came back during Rebirth after lapsing for all of the New 52, and in 2018 they're upending everything they worked hard to set right with Aquaman, did the entire Batman #50 fiasco, shot Nightwing in the head and now this. They're basically going book-to-book with everything I was pulling and removing what I cared for in those titles. I'm finding more and more my posts are becoming negative and much like in 2011, I just don't think DC is going to publish books I want to support any longer. I generally try to stay positive and I've not been doing so hot there. Moves like this involving such a fan-favorite character, even if reversed, are executed so recklessly that I realize the only things not in consideration is telling a cohesive story with a plot, emotional payoff, or any semblance of respect for its audience or the work it builds upon. All the pretty artwork by Clay Mann can't offset that Tom King will just do whatever the damn hell he pleases, regardless of if it makes sense for a character, plot or what other writers are doing with those characters.

I'm enjoying some things they're releasing at the moment, but the list keeps getting shorter. Rather that continue to whine about recent trends at DC Comics, I think it's time I direct my attention elsewhere and calm down. There's always back issues. Didio continues to say one thing but direct the company in another. The company mantra seems to be that nothing matters unless it makes you wish your diet consisted of bullets and arsenic. Heroics require sacrifice, so people who go out of their way to help just because they like to aren't heroes in their own respect. The only stories worth telling are ones that can get a headline in printed media so we can sell a few more issues this month and then claim we only care for story.

spoilers:
    All these deaths--some of which are rather massive (these characters were kids when the Trinity started out, they watched them grow up)-- elicit only a bit of sadness in one member, but really not a whole lot of attention is paid to what is effectively their nephews being slaughtered by someone they knew. It's very dry and matter-of-fact. The dead could have been anyone and reactions would not need to be changed. It was mechanical in the most ugly way. Yes, it's one issue thus far, but it's pretty much shown that it's an event first and a story second. I'm out. It's one thing to execute fan-favorite characters, but to do so wantonly is awful.
    end of spoilers

I simply can't stay positive over the lion's share of DC's work anymore and HiC is making me seriously reconsider if I want to continue this hobby any further. Based on the trajectory of the DCU and Didio's usual comments, I'm unsure things are going to get better. If not, twenty years has been a good run, I guess.
    My thoughts exactly. I too am thinking of quitting altogether. Tom King is a creator I have grown to seriously detest in particular for all his crap over the last year. All he does is inject 9 panel grids stuffed with horrible dialogue and characters facepalming to show their severe mental trauma.

A part of me is hoping that HiC turns out to an Ultimatium type story where everyone just dies because they were erasing the universe. Maybe somehow Doomsday Clock is counting down to something better and HiC is Didio's cathartic killing spree before everything changes.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Just read it.
    Not really enthusiastic.
    spoilers:
    I'm not persuaded, Wally and Roy deaths will be reverted someway.
    end of spoilers
    I can't suffer Harley Quinn, never had and never will. Probably this will be a real issue for me in reading this story.
    I'm stunned on how coldly WW reacts to such important deaths, just Superman had an hesitation. That won't help me to empathize with the Trinity, i'm feeling so distant from them.
    Not a great start, indeed.

spoilers:
    Ah i forgot, they killed three Titans in this issue. Congratulations DC
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by failo.legendkiller; 09-26-2018 at 02:34 AM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I have to say I was a little underwhelmed. The art was gorgeous and the writing was good, but this was all set up for a story that has already been set-up by the many interviews and promos that DC has been doing. As a result, the only thing shocking about it was who they killed off, and, since this is superhero comics we're taking about here, who knows if one of those deaths is even going to stick.

I dunno. Perhaps the overly effusive praise the book was getting over the last month got me expecting something more, because this was a perfectly fine first issue, but not the second coming of Watchmen that Bendis and others were hyping it as. Based upon my enjoyment of Tom King's previous work, I will certainly give this another issue, but my expectations have no been tempered.