Page 197 of 215 FirstFirst ... 97147187193194195196197198199200201207 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,955 of 3211
    Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

While I occasionally go see what YT has been saying, I find the reviewers on this site the more trusworthy because to my knowledge most people here care about the books contents rather than getting freebies from suppliers. If you all think a book sucks lemons regardless of varied personal character likes/dislikes then it probably sucks lemons.

HIC sucks lemons.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Astonishing Member

As far as reviews go, I tend to trust caped Joel on you tube and off the rack from comic pop

They might not be to everyones taste but I've found their opinions generally fit my reader preference so they are a good gauge if I will like a book

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    . . . Meanwhile, BleedingCool is reporting it was the top selling book of the week and complainers are being called a vocal minority in the comments.
    This is definitely something to think about: how many people are complaining about this issue vs. how many people actually bought and read the issue.

We don't really know how representative of the reading public as a whole the voices on these boards really are, and there is a tendency to be more vocal when they are not happy with something than when they like/don't mind a situation.

As someone who isn't reading this and isn't likely to ever read this, anyone mind spoiling the story so far for me? I'm interested to know what all the hate and commotion is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    As someone who isn't reading this and isn't likely to ever read this, anyone mind spoiling the story so far for me? I'm interested to know what all the hate and commotion is about.
    High, unnecessary body counts and character assassination.
    That, and for some people, just King's overall writing style.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    This is definitely something to think about: how many people are complaining about this issue vs. how many people actually bought and read the issue.

We don't really know how representative of the reading public as a whole the voices on these boards really are, and there is a tendency to be more vocal when they are not happy with something than when they like/don't mind a situation.
    It's also dumb to conflate sales of this book with overall popularity. People didn't know it was going to be so bad before they bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    It's also dumb to conflate sales of this book with overall popularity. People didn't know it was going to be so bad before they bought it.
    Yup. Also remember that there is a latency in this system. What we can see is the sales from Diamond to retailers, not from retailers to readers. Especially with a short-term, high-impact series like this one, there isn't that much time for the retailers to adjust to the actual demand from readers.

Also, readers aren't a monolithic group. It's not that hard to find people who will like Heroes in Crisis, just as it's not hard to find people who like the Snyderverse DCEU movies. One has to check things like sellthrough (hard to do based on the current model for selling comics), actual sales, the trend for sales, and reviews and feedback to start get some real sense for the popularity of a run.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Truth. I love King's Batman and I've loved Heroes in Crisis but I'm not keen on spending a lot of time posting about that in a sea of negativity about both series'.

High, unnecessary body counts and character assassination.
    That, and for some people, just King's overall writing style.
    I was kinda hoping more of a lowdown on who has died, who has experienced character assassination, etc.?

Mighty Member

There is a lot of truth to this. Online negativity is "cooler" than positivity. On these boards and many others there is absolutely a tendancy to be more vocal when they an unhappy. It is often the same select posters posting about their unhappiness and saying that they are done with a certain book. Whlle the ones who like/don't mind it are secure enough not to have to defend it. They are probably the reasons why sales don't tank when supposedly so many aren't buying the book. Mind you... this doesn't mean that I don't think Heroes in Crisis is easily the worst Crisis event ever. I definitely do.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I was kinda hoping more of a lowdown on who has died, who has experienced character assassination, etc.?
    Start from page one of this thread and just keep reading - it's all there.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dimo1 View Post
    In today‘s pc times you‘re hard pressed to find a harsh critique. Just check the reviews here, all the same.
    I think you ca however you have to show PROOF that you actually READ he product versus some of the "gator" nonsense we have seen.

We have book and movies attacked by folks who have NOT read nor SEEN the product in question-they rely on certain youtubers to instruct them on how to think. Or they go off on what the title says.

Meanwhile, BleedingCool is reporting it was the top selling book of the week and complainers are being called a vocal minority in the comments.
    The same folks who screamed how much Black Panther & Cap Marvel SUCKED and that money meant nothing. Funny how the tables have changed when it's something that they like.
    Unlike those "gators" who complain without reading anything. The vocal minority here tends to be folks who READ the book and invested history with the cast.

What folks don't understand is why it sales-it also creates an ISSUE. Same issue with King's treatment of Duke in Batman. YOU crap on these folks in books that are guaranteed shelf space in stores. Also these are the books that also pack bins and forever live in discount sales later on.

So what happens? You end up having a harder time getting anyone interest in writing those who are crapped on. John Stewart fans know that very well.

So while you got a seller-you also got a pile of guys no one wants to touch (beyond the trinity & Harley).

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    There is a lot of truth to this. Online negativity is "cooler" than positivity. On these boards and many others there is absolutely a tendancy to be more vocal when they an unhappy. It is often the same select posters posting about their unhappiness and saying that they are done with a certain book. Whlle the ones who like/don't mind it are secure enough not to have to defend it. They are probably the reasons why sales don't tank when supposedly so many aren't buying the book. Mind you... this doesn't mean that I don't think Heroes in Crisis is easily the worst Crisis event ever. I definitely do.
    Well... to be fair it's also common practice to complain more than praise.
    Take waiters and waitresses, for instance. After spending a decade waiting, bar tending and managing a restaurant, I give a lot more praise to those I see do a good job than I see others do.
    Most often, people don't acknowledge or give praise for a job done well, and tend to just take it for granted.
    But a job done poorly will get a devil's wrath put upon the person.

And think about utilities. When was the last time you called your electric company or phone/internet carrier to tell them how much you've been enjoying the service?
    But wait until there's a disruption in service...

I think the common thought is, 'if no one's talking about it, then you must be doing something right'.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Well... to be fair it's also common practice to complain more than praise.
    Take waiters and waitresses, for instance. After spending a decade waiting, bar tending and managing a restaurant, I give a lot more praise to those I see do a good job than I see others do.
    Most often, people don't acknowledge or give praise for a job done well, and tend to just take it for granted.
    But a job done poorly will get a devil's wrath put upon the person.

And think about utilities. When was the last time you called your electric company or phone/internet carrier to tell them how much you've been enjoying the service?
    But wait until there's a disruption in service...

I think the common thought is, 'if no one's talking about it, then you must be doing something right'.
    Yeah I rarely talk about things that I like or love unless it's being trashed or depicted poorly. I don't really like looking into the behind the scenes of comics. I just want to experience the world, stories, and characters and ignore everything else because it doesn't matter to me. Since the reboot the behind the scenes are pretty much all I talk about anymore and it sucks because I'd rather just jump into the stories. Problem is those stories are pretty horrible.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Yeah I rarely talk about things that I like or love unless it's being trashed or depicted poorly. I don't really like looking into the behind the scenes of comics. I just want to experience the world, stories, and characters and ignore everything else because it doesn't matter to me. Since the reboot the behind the scenes are pretty much all I talk about anymore and it sucks because I'd rather just jump into the stories. Problem is those stories are pretty horrible.
    Wizard Magazine popularized the behind the scenes stuff.

We already had behind the scenes coverage with Amazing Heroes, Comics Journal and Comics Interview, but they didn't commercialize themselves as much as Wizard did. Wizard put itself up front and center of the '90s comic culture and ended up doing for Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Whilce Portacio, Erik Larsen, Rob Liefeld and Mark Silvestri what MTV did for Madonna, Duran Duran, Michael Jackson and Wham (on a bigger scale, obviously).
    It put a face on the creators for the everyday reader and turned them into celebrities within the comic culture.

By the 2000s, some creators, like Morrison, Bendis, Peter David and Gaiman had a status much like a rock star.

It's gotten so that you really have to make an effort in separating the creator from the work.
    In the old days (not really that far back. honestly), it was Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc...
    Now it's so-and-so's Batman, so-and-so's Superman, so-and-so's Wonder Woman, etc.
    Which I think works fine in a format outside the regular books, like a separate mini-series or graphic novel.

But as each creator comes in and does their own definitive version, more baggage gets added and things start to conflict.

Sorry if I started to ramble.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.