Page 33 of 215 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    If they hadn't JUST killed Tim and brought him back I would have placed him at my #1 spot of most likely dead... but that just seems redundant. I honestly think it will be Kyle or Roy. I personally hope it's Kyle. Roy is pretty useless and in limbo... but they COULD do something cool with him. Kyle is one of six earth lanterns and without his 'last GL/torchbearer' status he REALLY doesn't seem to work. The last two or three things they've done have fallen flat... and I could see them wanting to clear the board a bit with all the extra Lanterns.

Agreed, Roy and Kyle are indeed the most expendable of the obvious choices. But Kyle might be safe with Morrison, so I'm thinking Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Agreed, Roy and Kyle are indeed the most expendable of the obvious choices. But Kyle might be safe with Morrison, so I'm thinking Roy.
    Maybe, Morrison seems pretty focused on Hal right now.... and the current Kyle really isn't the same rookie that Morrison did so well with back in the day. Unless Morrison came out and said 'I can't wait to get my hands back on Kyle... I'm not going to assume that he's safe. Kyle's stuck in that 'Can't right him as a rookie... and if you're writing a veteran you may as well use Hal.'

The biggest flaw with it being Roy getting killed... is who would care? He's the sidekick they've tried to do something with a couple times... but nothing ever works. He's drug out of mothballs every time they try to do a Titans book... but then just stick him in the background. The closest I've seen him actually progress was the Meltzer JLA book, and they turned him into even more of a Green Arrow cut and paste...

Ever since the drug addiction story In the 70's he's been a fun character to beat down... but I really don't see a huge fan base for him like Tim or Cyborg or Harley or Wally have... I don't think finally finishing Roy off would make much of a ripple in the DCU. Whether that makes him MORE or LESS likely to be the one could be debated...

Personally I think killing off the hero who's main deal has been his recovery and moving beyond his addictions and trauma's in a story about that would kind of send a bad message.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Personally I think killing off the hero who's main deal has been his recovery and moving beyond his addictions and trauma's in a story about that would kind of send a bad message.
    I think creating a crisis center for traumatized heroes while having a company wide push decrying how dark and gritty they've become just boggles my mind. There are all kinds of mixed messages going on over at DC lately >.<

I think creating a crisis center for traumatized heroes while having a company wide push decrying how dark and gritty they've become just boggles my mind. There are all kinds of mixed messages going on over at DC lately >.<
    I mean, I don't really see that the former clashes with the latter, in so much as the former is about recovery and helping, but I do think this story will to some degree be antithetical to the message of Rebirth if only because it's written by King and is touted as being equivalent to Identity Crisis.

I definitely hope it's not Roy. He's always been under utilized, IMO. Such a waste.
    Last edited by docmidnite; 08-17-2018 at 10:06 PM.

I really don't understand the mentality that a character is expendable. All it takes is one run or one writer to bring a character into the spotlight.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I really don't understand the mentality that a character is expendable. All it takes is one run or one writer to bring a character into the spotlight.
    DC has a lot of characters. And that’s far easier said then done.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Are you talking about Roy? Because I can’t remember the last time I read a Roy Harper story that didn’t involve him relapsing or what have you. Roy’s addiction issues is what defines him at this point.

That being said, I’m with Phatom about Roy dying. Who would care, and what would really be the ripple effect.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-18-2018 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Are you talking about Roy? Because I can’t remember the last time I read a Roy Harper story that didn’t involve him relapsing or what have you. Roy’s addiction issues is what defines him at this point.

That being said, I’m with Phatom about Roy dying. Who would care, and what would really be the ripple effect.
    The only time Roy relapsed was Rise of Arsenal.

A crisis center were people get help for their trauma is the opposite of dark and gritty.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    A crisis center were people get help for their trauma is the opposite of dark and gritty.
    And having a crisis center where people get help for their trauma becoming the scene of a murder is right out of a story with Strawberry Shortcake!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And having a crisis center where people get help for their trauma becoming the scene of a murder is right out of a story with Strawberry Shortcake!

Yes a murder story is dark and gritty no matter where it takes place. Doesn't negate my point.

Yes a murder story is dark and gritty no matter where it takes place. Doesn't negate my point.
    I believe your point was:
    But if that crisis center was introduced into comic books solely as a backdrop for a murder story, that goes beyond "GrimDark" / "dark & gritty" to an even higher level of GRIM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I believe your point was:But if that crisis center was introduced into comic books solely as a backdrop for a murder story, that goes beyond "GrimDark" / "dark & gritty" to an even higher level of GRIM.
    The crisis center in question predates this story. And the poster I responded too was saying the idea of s crisis center itself was dark and gritty not the fact that it was a backdrop for a murder mystery.