Page 75 of 215 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125175 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 3211

i've read it again...

and well... still not convinced that it's the kind of story i'd like to follow.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    You're one of the best user of this forum, I always pleasently read your posts but, this time, i have to desagree.
    I think your judgement is affected by the angst about Wally and Roy's deaths and the way DC is treatning all legacy characters, and I'm too.

These questions are exactly the ones King wanted to raise in this first issue, all the answers will be revealed in future. This is exactly why you should be hooked.
    You may not like it, but narrative structure is clear.
    Harely is a well known character (sadly) and Booster is not a perfect stranger, anyway it doesen't really matter for now.
    It's a build-up issue, maybe he build a little but he did.
    Totally agree. Sometimes stories ease you into them, giving you everything you need to know front-loaded, and other drop you right in and go from there. Some stories present a setting and plot in the first issue, while others raise questions and present problems that will be answered and solved later on. There's a fancy film student word for the second version.. in media res or something, I think. Not sure.

Whether the structure works for a person is a subjective opinion, and someone isn't wrong for not liking it. But at the same time I don't think it's fair to say there isn't a legitimate and planned structure and story frame work in place. Tons of stories work backwards from an odd murder scene or seemingly impossible robbery with no apparent solution, only to have the answers given later down the line.

Asking questions and presenting a mystery in the first few minutes of a work of fiction may not be to everyone's taste but for some it does provide a clear hook and reason to care and come back for answers.

More Evidence Wally aint coming back in this book:
    https://www.cbr.com/joshua-williamso...oes-in-crisis/
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Incredible Member

I agree with those who think there is no "urgency" to it. In the story, Sanctuary just happened to ... be there. There is no much of an introduction. It is a place, and the writer has told us in interviews it is an important place but reading the actual book... I just couldn't care about it.

And the deaths... Roy is one of my all-time favourite characters, and I always loved the interactions between Wally and Kyle (when they were together in the JL, for example), so I definitely prefer Wally over Barry... but their deaths are soooo gratuitous, I just don't care about them. The same (or even worse) goes to the bunch of c and d listers that got killed... no build up. Absolutely zero build up. There is no emotional connection between the character's death and the reader (at least in my case).

I can't find myself caring about anything or anyone involved in this particular story, least of all Booster and Harley.

And please, someone explain to me, why a bunch of people going to therapy for ptsd would do so in-costume.... it is just so off-putting.

I'm just surprised to see so many people bagging on the storytelling. You may not like the story -but I'm re-reading it now based on various comments here and the storytelling is fine. It's set up to be a murder mystery and you get enough info in the issue to roll with situation you're dropped into. You should also have questions...that's the nature of the story. This is very basic storytelling, really. Like someone said. It's the opening of a LAw and Order episode...where the two detectives are at a crime scene, you the victim(s) and then they work out what happened.

I dunno. I liked it. I'll stick around for the whole story.

To expand you get enough to know:

A) There's been a mass murder.

B) The place is called sactuary.

C) It's there for hero types to get treatment.

D) Booster says Harley killed them.

E) Harley says Booster did it. (Oh Goldie...how deep did you crack. I didn't kill them, you did).

F) The Trinity is on the case.

It's a murder mystery...how much information do you want in issue 1? On the flipside...another comic I've been reading is filled with clunky and wooden dialogue overly explaining EVERY. SINGLE. THING. If that's what you want in a book...this one is probably not for you, I guess.
    Last edited by bobellis75; 10-10-2018 at 11:05 AM.

These questions may have been answered earlier in the 75 pages of this thread, but I was wondering what people think of the picture below:

https://static0.cbrimages.com/wp-con...roy-dead-1.jpg

Notice two things:

(1) Arsenal has a ring of some sort in his hand. Is it a Legion ring (doesn't quite look like it) or an Orange Lantern ring or what? Is this a clue to something?

(2) Wally West's eye is open, it appears. Now, I know that people die with their eyes open, but again, could that indicate that Wally isn't really dead, but used his speed powers to slow down his metabolism to appear dead? Or maybe he did something similar to what Professor Zoom did in Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay where Zoom used his speed powers to slow down the effect of the bullet hole in his head in order to live weeks/months longer. Maybe Wally did something similar in the hopes that he can be saved before whatever "killed" him fully kills him. Maybe that's why Wally is holding the light on him and Roy so that these clues could easily be seen by whoever discovered them.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 10-10-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    These questions may have been answered earlier in the 75 pages of this thread, but I was wondering what people think of the picture below:

https://static0.cbrimages.com/wp-con...roy-dead-1.jpg

Notice two things:

(1) Arsenal has a ring of some sort in his hand. Is it a Legion ring (doesn't quite look like it) or an Orange Lantern ring or what? Is this a clue to something?

(2) Wally West's eye is open, it appears. Now, I know that people die with their eyes open, but again, could that indicate that Wally isn't really dead, but used his speed powers to slow down his metabolism to appear dead? Or maybe he did something similar to what Professor Zoom did in Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay where Zoom used his speed powers to slow down the effect of the bullet hole in his head in order to live weeks/months longer. Maybe Wally did something similar in the hopes that he can be saved before whatever "killed" him fully kills him. Maybe that's why Wally is holding the light on him and Roy so that these clues could easily be seen by whoever discovered them.
    About point 1: I've read somewhere in this forum that Roy holds a pin of the Sanctuary, one supposed to represent the Trinity.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    I agree with those who think there is no "urgency" to it. In the story, Sanctuary just happened to ... be there. There is no much of an introduction. It is a place, and the writer has told us in interviews it is an important place but reading the actual book... I just couldn't care about it.

And the deaths... Roy is one of my all-time favourite characters, and I always loved the interactions between Wally and Kyle (when they were together in the JL, for example), so I definitely prefer Wally over Barry... but their deaths are soooo gratuitous, I just don't care about them. The same (or even worse) goes to the bunch of c and d listers that got killed... no build up. Absolutely zero build up. There is no emotional connection between the character's death and the reader (at least in my case).

I can't find myself caring about anything or anyone involved in this particular story, least of all Booster and Harley.

And please, someone explain to me, why a bunch of people going to therapy for ptsd would do so in-costume.... it is just so off-putting.
    Yeah this is where it fails for me. Sanctuary has no weight at all as of right now, and the murder mystery isn't enticing. There's nothing wrong with working backwards from a mystery, but the story isn't asking any character questions and the deaths feel too shocking to be anything other than a disturbing distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    That's about the only thing that actually DOES makes sense to me.

The costume is where these characters feel the most comfortable. It's where they are a HERO... not some poor schlub who's had a rough life. It's what makes them SPECIAL!! For a person going through a low point, trying to cling to what they see as their HIGH points, makes perfect sense to me.

Not to mention the whole secret identity thing. SURE... Sanctuary is supposed to be 'safe place', but if I were a hero.... I wouldn't be taking off my mask for ANYbody. Good heavens... Both Hugo Strange AND Harley Quinn were Psychiatrists and once considered 'Safe places!!'

Granted the rumor I had heard was that everyone there was supposed to be in identical robes and masks and that's part of why the pin Roy's holding has some significance... (ala. Someone who was a PATIENT was the killer) but that doesn't really explain why so many of the heroes are actually in their costumes... Maybe that will be explained later.

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    I'm just surprised to see so many people bagging on the storytelling. You may not like the story -but I'm re-reading it now based on various comments here and the storytelling is fine. It's set up to be a murder mystery and you get enough info in the issue to roll with situation you're dropped into. You should also have questions...that's the nature of the story. This is very basic storytelling, really. Like someone said. It's the opening of a LAw and Order episode...where the two detectives are at a crime scene, you the victim(s) and then they work out what happened.

E) Harley says Booster did it. (Oh Goldie...how deep did you crack. I didn't kill them, you did).

It's a murder mystery...how much information do you want in issue 1? On the flipside...another comic I've been reading is filled with clunky and wooden dialogue overly explaining EVERY. SINGLE. THING. If that's what you want in a book...this one is probably not for you, I guess.
    Dude, most people already hated this event months before the first issue was even released. Of course they would hate on it now.

Its because what we were sold on (Heroes dealing with mental health issue's) isnt what we got (IDENTITY CRISIS 2.0, ONE OF YOUR FAVES WILL DIE SO READ OR ELSE, BUTTERKNIFE BEATS 25TH CENTURY TECH)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    Dude, most people already hated this event months before the first issue was even released. Of course they would hate on it now.
    Exactly why it's hard for me to take certain opinions seriously. Someone who is going to go into a book with their mind made up already will never be able to be subjective about a book, not even a little.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post

Agreed with everything said here. It's like some people are really new to how storytelling can work.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    You're one of the best user of this forum, I always pleasently read your posts but, this time, i have to desagree.
    I think your judgement is affected by the angst about Wally and Roy's deaths and the way DC is treatning all legacy characters, and I'm too.

These questions are exactly the ones King wanted to raise in this first issue, all the answers will be revealed in future. This is exactly why you should be hooked.
    You may not like it, but narrative structure is clear.
    Harely is a well known character (sadly) and Booster is not a perfect stranger, anyway it doesen't really matter for now.
    It's a build-up issue, maybe he build a little but he did.
    You're right.
    My apologies.
    I will try to refrain from carrying on like a two bob watch over fictional characters!

Cheers mate. I'll pull my head in.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

https://www.cbr.com/heroes-in-crisis-deaths-permanent/

"all deaths in heroes in crisis are permanent!"