Page 42 of 215 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    I can definitely sympathize with everything said here. Just like Dick Grayson is your favorite (and mine too), Roy Harper is definitely my favorite. Outside of Dick and Wally, he's probably the only Titan who has been developed and showed so much growth over the years. I've been with the character since the Devin Grayson era, Outsiders, JLA and RHATO. I think killing him is a mistake. There's still so much you can do with him.
    My philosophy about killing characters or even just major changes in general has always been, Can you tell more stories with this change than without it? If so go for but I personally can't see many good story ideas coming out of Roy's death at Sanctuary, the idea of Sanctuary I think has a lot of potential.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    My philosophy about killing characters or even just major changes in general has always been, Can you tell more stories with this change than without it? If so go for but I personally can't see many good story ideas coming out of Roy's death at Sanctuary, the idea of Sanctuary I think has a lot of potential.
    I also think it'll do a huge disservice to Ollie by painting him as a bad mentor. He always gets crap for kicking Roy out after getting hooked on drugs. And now, it seems like the superhero community will confront him about Roy's. I sense there's going to be a lot of finger pointing.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

The thing is that Roy and Ollie haven't had much history on-page in Rebirth. I didn't follow either extensively during the New 52, but he's mostly been shuffled off in place of Emiko if my memory serves. His death is likely to pull on fan heartstrings instead of a particular character's.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The thing is that Roy and Ollie haven't had much history on-page in Rebirth. I didn't follow either extensively during the New 52, but he's mostly been shuffled off in place of Emiko if my memory serves. His death is likely to pull on fan heartstrings instead of a particular character's.
    The problem with that is most Roy fans are pissed at how different the Post-Flashpoint version is compared to the Pre-Flashpoint. So all that emotional fan weight is gone.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    They don't have much on-page history since the Bronze Age. As far as I'm aware of there is (appart from maybe one issue of Secret Origins) no "modern" (published after the 60s) Green Arrow Comic that is set during Roys time as Sidekick.

Incredible Member

I might be one of the few who actually really really enjoyed Post-Flashpoint Roy, and hoped that DC could bring back Lian without doing away with the Flashpoint bits.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    The problem with that is most Roy fans are pissed at how different the Post-Flashpoint version is compared to the Pre-Flashpoint. So all that emotional fan weight is gone.
    Was anyone happy with Pre-Flashpoint Roy either though. I think I might have been the only one who liked that one armed cat killer. In an it’s so bad, it’s funny kind of way.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Was anyone happy with Pre-Flashpoint Roy either though. I think I might have been the only one who liked that one armed cat killer. In an it’s so bad, it’s funny kind of way.
    He was protecting a dead cat while on drugs, Rise of Arsenal was hilariously bad. I love Roy but I can't make it through that story without laughing. Who at DC thought making him insane and seeing a zombie ghost of his daughter while doing drugs was a good idea? I consider Pre-Flashpoint Roy to be before Cry for Justice, that story was just horrible to that version of the character but it was nice to see him fixed up and save Lian during Convergence. People loved Roy before Cry for Justice, him becoming Red Arrow felt awesome, him being a grown up sidekick while being a single father was ripe for story material. But instead they chose to kill his daughter and maim him, also become an anti-hero. that's probably why he's Jason's BFF in the reboot.

Cry for Justice is another one of those stories trying to be more dark and mature but ends up making all the characters look like idiots and ruin/kill others who are barely involved in the story. Somehow Prometheus can take on pretty much the whole league and take them all out in single panels (PANELS!) but somehow take pages to fight Roy. (he almost lost but won because he cheated) The heroes beat the villain but then put his helmet back on which is the source of his power. the heroes torture and rant about Justice.

Incredible Member

Cry for Justice never happened.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    They don't have much on-page history since the Bronze Age. As far as I'm aware of there is (appart from maybe one issue of Secret Origins) no "modern" (published after the 60s) Green Arrow Comic that is set during Roys time as Sidekick.
    They still clearly had history and he was important to Ollie. Just look at Meltzer's JLA when he got promoted. He was very proud of his surrogate son.

Post-Flashpoint, Dinah is the only constant. It's all Emi or new characters now. Roy, Connor and Mia are gone at worst, footnotes at best. I'm surprised it wasn't revealed Roy was some fanboy who imagined being Ollie's sidekick while high. It's basically what they did to Tim in the New 52 sans the drugs.

BANNED

Looks like we might have reasons why Mister Miracle will be at Sanctuary

spoilers:
    His whole life with Barda and his child seems to be a dream...I guess he never got over the reality Barda rejoined the furies and left him at the end of Darksied War (even if she struck that deal to save his life)
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Looks like we might have reasons why Mister Miracle will be at Sanctuary

spoilers:
    His whole life with Barda and his child seems to be a dream...I guess he never got over the reality Barda rejoined the furies and left him at the end of Darksied War (even if she struck that deal to save his life)
    end of spoilers
    Where'd you hear this?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Where'd you hear this?
    I read Issue 11 this morning and the cliffhanger seemed to indicate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    When it comes to replacements of "iconic" heroes, Wally was really the only character that had successfully replaced his predecessor without running out of steam in a few years. The fact that he had been there almost from the start had a lot to do with it, since he wasn't a character that was specifically created to replace another character, he was his long-time sidekick and protege. That's why there's no better example of a successful legacy character than Wally West. The same way if DC ever got serious about "permanently" offing Bruce, Dick would've been the only guy fans would've accepted as the new "permanent" Batman.

As for the others, DC struggled what to do with Kyle less than a decade after his creation and Connor lasted even less than that. Now, Jaime is a better example but Blue Beetle is hardly on a GL/Flash/GA level of popularity, not to mention DC never invested in Ted the way they did in Hal, Barry and Oliver for so many years, so him being replaced wouldn't have generated the same level of outrage. There was still outrage, but rather due to the way DC chose to kill Ted off, not so much for replacing him in general.
    Kyle was fine for a decade the only reason he was replaced to the old status quo was the same reason Barry replaced Wally Geoff Johns wanted to write Hal over Kyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Kyle was fine for a decade the only reason he was replaced to the old status quo was the same reason Barry replaced Wally Geoff Johns wanted to write Hal over Kyle.
    They had no clue what do with Kyle anymore as early as 2000. And the reason they brought Hal back was because anytime he showed up anywhere as GL, sales went up. The one who suggested to bring him back was Tomasi who was the GL editor at the time. Johns was asked if he was interested to pitch a story for Hal's return and when he did, he was told he could kill Kyle off if he wanted to. Not only he didn't do that, but he brought Guy back as GL as well. And Barry was brought back because of the success of Hal's return, which is why Didio had Johns and Van Sciver on Flash Rebirth. too. Where they had much less control, as opposed to GL Rebirth.