Page 11 of 215 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    It’s not at all weird that an author taps their emotions and experiences to inform their work. In fact Scott Snyder talks about how his own fears and experiences influenced his run on Batman. That he was writing about himself to an extent. And that’s true of most authors. If you want to write from a genuine place, you write from yourself.

Tom King has lived many more lives than most comic authors, and his experiences enrich his work.

Inform is one thing,but I said work through his own problems,and as a result batman and booster were turned into mental messes

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    This would be a good concept for an alternate superhero universe, one that had a plan for a finite end.

But when you're talking about an ongoing, serialized superhero universe, the idea that these heroes would start reflecting too hard on what they're doing and the consequences of their life choices, it seems like a thread you don't really want to tug on.

If any of these heroes really wanted to step back and consider the life of violence they choose to led, the only answer to getting healthy is for them to stop being vigilantes, take off their costumes, and stop spending their days and nights beating the sh*t out of people.

Being a superhero isn't equivalent to being a policeman or solider - if you put it up to any serious analysis, it's a sickness, not a public service.

Bruce Wayne doesn't have to dress like a bat and fight criminals, much less encourage and train children to do the same. It's a concept that only really works in a fantasy universe where putting on costumes and solving problems with your fists is not looked on as an insane decision. But the more real you try to make that world and the more you try and apply real world psychology to these characters, the more of a nutcase Bruce and other heroes begin to look.

It's different with someone gifted with godlike abilities like Superman. But for any street level hero, any kind of therapy that doesn't move them towards an end goal of giving up doing what they're doing seems absurd.
    Well said.

Damian Wayne does not have PTSD. And I don’t need that explored in the DCU.

I am not enthused about the idea that "The Trinity" started this thing and are the only ones who know who's been admitted. I mean, ugh - screw the "Trinity." I was hoping for some interesting new dynamics explored, or some B-level heroes getting a spotlight. And then to hear that this thing might start with a bunch of heroes thrown into the trash? Ugh.... Still, King has enough goodwill from me so far that I'll still try out the first issue but I'm not getting a good feeling...

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    It's weird having a former CIA guy use comics as a way to work through his own problems
    How is it weird? Just curious. I mean if you don’t like the concept, idea, or creative team that’s perfectly ok. Everyone has their likes and dislikes, that’s why there is such a variety out there. I love the idea and think it may not only make a very good book. Often times some of the most spellbinding and gripping stories are those of a personal crisis. Especially when dealing with characters that can often times seem untouchable, which is not a knock against DC as they have and always will be my favorite characters. On a more important note, depression and PTSD with not only our service men and women but also first responders have been rising year after year and while it does get some attention it doesn’t get the attention it deserves. Firefighter death due to sucicde has now surpassed the line of duty deaths. These are men and women that see so much bad stuff that it eventually takes an very emotional and mental toll on them. I love the idea of taking superheroes and showing that yes they put their lives on the line and they fight and protect the cities and sometimes the world with these amazing abilities but that they also need help themselves. It’s a bold statement that reflects what’s happening in the men and women that are soldiers and first responders. In some ways maybe someone that is fan but also a soldier or first responder will read this series and will be inspired to get help if they are also suffering. That’s just my view on it though. Wasn’t trying to be rude or even start an argument just curious

Inform is one thing,but I said work through his own problems,and as a result batman and booster were turned into mental messes
    I don’t necessarily think that this is the case, but it would not be uncommon for a veteran to work through their trauma by writing. Tim O’Brien for instance wrote novels to reflect on his time in Vietnam. Comics is just a different medium for artist expression.

However, I’m still not sure that that is the case for most of King’s work. I feel as though it is simply King writing and drawing from past experiences to come from a genuine place.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 06-14-2018 at 08:38 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

There’s only one person that can help Batman deal with his mental health problems.

And he’s from Tennessee

And his name is Jack Daniel.

BANNED

When you start with a character that hasn't shown any signs of being mentally crushed and you turn him into either a mental mess or being stuck in his emo feelings,then yeah he transformed a character just to suit his desires and needs for his desired story.

Sounds like Geoff John's.we used to complain that Geoff made kon-el to emo,but this is what Geoff did by a power of 1000.

When you start with a character that hasn't shown any signs of being mentally crushed and you turn him into either a mental mess or being stuck in his emo feelings,then yeah he transformed a character just to suit his desires and needs for his desired story.

Sounds like Geoff John's.we used to complain that Geoff made kon-el to emo,but this is what Geoff did by a power of 1000.
    Firstly, using the word "emo"? Not the most mature argument.

Secondly, let's not act as if most, if not all, superheroes haven't displayed behaviour that clearly shows they need professional help.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Firstly, using the word "emo"? Not the most mature argument.

Secondly, let's not act as if most, if not all, superheroes haven't displayed behaviour that clearly shows they need professional help.

Not mature? R u kidding?

Emo is what we called it back then,get over it.

Not everyone needs to go to a shrink to work through their issues.

Heroes deal with bad **** all the time,and some of it stays with them, doesn't mean they can't handle moving forward by theirselves,and not falling apart and needing someone else to get then through it

Not mature? R u kidding?

Heroes deal with bad **** all the time,and some of it stays with them, doesn't mean they can't handle moving forward by theirselves,and not falling apart and needing someone else to get then through it
    You trying to pitch yourself as the villain of this series or something?

Not mature? R u kidding?

It was immature then and it is immature now. It's not an actual critique, just a childish insult.

Clearly these people do need help because they never dealt with their problems just ignored them.

All-New Member

Not mature? R u kidding?

Think maybe that could have been worded a little differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    I get that Harley is incredibly popular and that DC would want to use her as much as possible. But can they atleast use her in a manner that makes sense and is compelling? and can they give her a good story for once? she is forced in to places that she really has no business in. To this day I dont understand why she's in Suicide Squad or what she did in No Justice. She's an incredibly limited character and I think its time DC realized that. Her publication history is incredibly weak.

That said I'm so done with King's "storytelling" anyway, the man just comes across as a one trick pony. He needs to work on improving his dialogue, action and pacing instead of shilling mental illness over and over using his "CIA" credentials. All this constant PTSD/Depression crap is really grating now especially if he cant be bothered to use characters with actual history of mental illness and instead needs to force his ideas on the likes of Booster whom he wrote terribly and should have been banned from writing. His Diana was also rubbish and I find his Batman equally cringe worthy while also being uninteresting, robotic, personalityless and boring. So Superman and Harley are the only logical draws as far as story leads are concerned.

Being a spiritual successor to Identity Crisis isn't something to get excited about either.

He's going to get Rumbled soon enough.

Fantastic Member

My theory king messed up batman and booster gold on purpose so he can have characters to write about in this series

This is interesting.Although I have to ask why would the trinity entrust someone like Harley with access to Sanctuary? Waller would be licking her chops at the very idea of blackmailing these guys.
    "If you look up at me you will see a friend. If you look down at me you will see an enemy. But if you look me square in the eye you will see a God."-Bray Wyatt