Page 36 of 215 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Why would they though? It's not like he was dead or vanished out-of-continuity like Wally did.

Besides, that will probably be the title of the inevitable storyline that brings him back to life .

He's made appearances in Green Arrow and Red Hood and the Outlaws, although some of that might be setting up his appearance in Heroes in Crisis.

There are other Titans runs, Outsiders, Green Arrow runs with Roy in them as well.

Not abandoning or pretending your kid didn't exist in the first place is a pretty big accomplishment compared to what Ollie did to Connor.

I think he's looked at more for having issues and working on them then as someone who's a screw-up. And he has fixed and redeem his issues in the past, even if DC tries to dredge them up again every now and then for drama, but that happens with every character.
    The thing with Roy is that he was a screw up but he has had his life pretty well together since the 90s and that stigma of him being a loser, screw up, etc. only came back because of Cry for Justice/Rise of Arsenal and RHatO. Didio and co thought making a Roy a villain would be a good idea so they murdered Lian and maimed Roy. Then DC decided to reboot before anymore damage was done. But then RHatO hurt him in a different way. Regressed him back to being an addict (alcoholic) and erased all his character development.

During the Jurgens/Grayson era of Titans, Roy was a single father which is very unique for a superhero. He was a great father and solid member of his team. The idea of him being a terrible person was gone at this point. Really the only flaw he still had was he still kinda had a thing for Cheshire and was still hotheaded.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    To be fair, there are many people who enjoy King's Batman run and absolutely hated IDENTITY CRISIS. I'm one of them...I think what King's doing is the best Batman we've seen in forever, certainly better than the thumb-twiddling of the "classic" Snyder run. And I consider IDENTITY CRISIS to be the worst thing that DC has ever done, an absolute garbage fire of a book. Not because of the murder...it's a murder mystery, so you need a victim...but the elements that have now been revealed to have been forced in by DC editorial to make the book even darker. Elements that had no real bearing on the mystery, which could've been told just the same without the added veneer of grimdark to make it "kewl."

My biggest issue with Identity Crisis is just how BAD of a murder mystery it was. The whole concept of every super hero using all their talents and powers at microscopic levels... batman, atom, sueprman, mr. terrific etc LITERALLY combing the carpet fibers for clues... and couldn't find a single one. That somehow they couldn't tell the difference between 'flame thrower' and 'hard light laser'... That it was an accidental homicide in the first place and she happened to have a flame thrower on her in the first place...

It was just terrible. They drug out the whole 'Can you figure out who the killer was... and then just pulled that 'oh yeah, she didn't leave any clues concept right out of thin air...

Grim/dark..... rape.... mind wipes (Which I was totally fine with) were all besides the point. I hate Identity Crisis for the writing. Which... I won't hold against THIS story since they have completely different writers. I till think it will suck for different reasons, but the IC comparison isn't it.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

From my perspective, Roy Harper's appearance in the Red Hood & The Outlaws annual sure felt like a final farewell to the character. I think Roy is not making it out of Heroes in Crisis alive. I never had much of a strong affection for the character, so I can't say this stings too bad and given how poorly handled he's been for the last decade, this is probably a mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Who would care as in Roy isn't far reaching or important to much of anything, and so the ripples would be weak. Green Arrow, Jason Todd, and Donna Troy might shed a tear. But even with them its not gonna change anything they are doing.
    I don't know about that. With the former history and relationships of the DCU being restored piece by piece, Roy Harper is again a fairly central character whose had deep relationships with a wide range of characters from the Hard-Travelling Heroes of Hal, Ollie & Dinah, to the Teen Titans of various eras, the Bat-family via Jason Todd, who's his best friend, and he was even a member of the JLA for a time.

Not many characters have that many ties to that many different parts of the DCU. Roy Harper's death, particularly in a place set up by Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman to help heroes heal and deal with their trauma, would have a giant impact on the superhero community.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Grim/dark..... rape.... mind wipes (Which I was totally fine with) were all besides the point. I hate Identity Crisis for the writing. Which... I won't hold against THIS story since they have completely different writers. I till think it will suck for different reasons, but the IC comparison isn't it.
    While I don't hate Identity Crisis, I can't argue that there so many fundamental problems with the writing that it drags down the whole story, which is a shame because there's some truly great stuff in there. Some of the characterization and dialogue is just so wonderfully done, like the idea of Ollie wearing that dumb hat of his to cover up his bald spot. Meltzer mined some gold with his work in the DCU, but those nuggets were surrounded by a few too many turds that distract me from all the stuff I liked. Perhaps it was editorial's fault, but I don't think they can be blamed for the fact that his central mystery simply didn't add up. I mean, it needed to be explain later by a retcon in another book. That's not the sign of a well-plotted murder mystery.

As for Heroes in Crisis, I don't think Tom King is the same kind of writer as Brad Meltzer, although their love of the DCU's character is clearly just as deep. I don't know if Heroes in Crisis will work, but I am glad that they are trying something like this. The idea of PTSD is something that heroic fiction hasn't really explored much and it certainly makes sense within a collective storytelling continuity more than eight decades old in which our poor characters have suffered incalcuable pain, trauma, death, loss, and tragedy, compounded by endless retcons, revisions to their lives that have robbed them of those closest to them, including their parents and children.

With all they've been through, Wally West and Roy Harper feel like the best characters to explore this idea with and King has earned enough credibility with me from Mr. Miracle and those Bruce & Selina/Lois & Clark double date issues for me to give him the benefit of the doubt. I don't care what stupid stunts DC Editorial is using to promote the story, because I only care about the story itself and the effect it will have upon the characters I love.

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Bleeding cool confirms the major death in HiC #1 :

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/09...ajor-spoilers/

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    Bleeding cool confirms the major death in HiC #1 :

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/09...ajor-spoilers/
    So according to Bleeding Cool, "confirmed" deaths coming up are:
    spoilers:
    Remember, this is a SPOILER box . . . don't read any further if you don't want to have it spoiled, and don't use the "Reply with Quote" function . . .

* Hotspot
    and now
    * Roy Harper
    end of spoilers
    Still more to come . . . the bloodbath is scheduled to begin on September 26th.

BANNED

why'd they kill him off

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    why'd they kill him off
    Because drama and "pathos" ?

My guess is they're killing him because spoilers:
    Ollie is going to go nuts and go after Wally, whom is the presumed killer. Which will cause Barry to intervene and Ollie and Barry will have at it. Which will have Hal Jordan enter the fray as attempted peacemaker. And so on. Battle of the Superfriends, basically.
    end of spoilers
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Hahahaha!!!!!!!! This series sounds even more terrible with each piece of new information that comes out. At this point I have to wonder if the leadership is actively trying to ruin DC?
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Jason will eventually bring him back via a Lazarus Pit in the same methods Talia used to resurrect him.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    At this point I have to wonder if the leadership is actively trying to ruin DC?
    Pretty sure they think it's going to be a huge success because of the deaths. It's serious, and dark, everyone's going to love it ...

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Wasn't it revealed in a certain heroes upcoming solicitations? Anyway I never had any interest in the character but aren't there going to be more deaths?

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    Pretty sure they think it's going to be a huge success because of the deaths. It's serious, and dark, everyone's going to love it ...
    Hey, Geoff Johns!
    How's that return of "HOPE"-thing you talked about at the start of Rebirth working out?