Page 6 of 215 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This could prove to be very interesting. King has proven his writing chops many times over by now. He may not be to everyone's tastes, but he's a talented writer who genuinely cares about the characters he's writing.
    It feels like everything King does at DC is about heroes with PTSD. Would like to see how he’d write characters in other situations.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Ivy most certainly is not, not anymore. In fact, the latest Batman arc featuring her basically teased the entire concept of this event with Batman knowing she's not evil and needs help.

The motivations of putting them into a bit of a tweener status notwithstanding (I'm not at all prepared to say with confidence its just because they're females), canonicity-wise its where they're at.
    Well, being female and popular probably helps .
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    It feels like everything King does at DC is about heroes with PTSD. Would like to see how he’d write characters in other situations.
    He'd probably just find a way to give them PTSD (looks at poor Booster Gold).

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I would welcome that.

Although....is she getting shorter?
    Maybe Dick has heels on, or Kory is standing in a hole...

(This was the first thing I noticed about this picture.)

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, being female and popular probably helps .

He'd probably just find a way to give them PTSD (looks at poor Booster Gold).
    Poor Michael, his life was going well until Tom King entered in it .

So it's Tom King doing this event. meh. So overrated.

So I'm guessing all of the lead characters are white, according to newsarama. One thing about Marvel, they may have made mistakes and bad decisions, but at least they gave minorities ROLES to play in big events.

Looks intriguing. Will check it out. Mann's art alone sells it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    So I'm guessing all of the lead characters are white, according to newsarama. One thing about Marvel, they may have made mistakes and bad decisions, but at least they gave minorities ROLES to play in big events.
    Isn't that really just Secret Empire, though?

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    So it's Tom King doing this event. meh. So overrated.

So is that the only basis you choose to approach a new book that you know almost nothing about? Imo, that's as bad as dismissing a book as being pc or sjw because the protagonist is a poc.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    This would be a good concept for an alternate superhero universe, one that had a plan for a finite end.

But when you're talking about an ongoing, serialized superhero universe, the idea that these heroes would start reflecting too hard on what they're doing and the consequences of their life choices, it seems like a thread you don't really want to tug on.

If any of these heroes really wanted to step back and consider the life of violence they choose to led, the only answer to getting healthy is for them to stop being vigilantes, take off their costumes, and stop spending their days and nights beating the sh*t out of people.

Being a superhero isn't equivalent to being a policeman or solider - if you put it up to any serious analysis, it's a sickness, not a public service.

Bruce Wayne doesn't have to dress like a bat and fight criminals, much less encourage and train children to do the same. It's a concept that only really works in a fantasy universe where putting on costumes and solving problems with your fists is not looked on as an insane decision. But the more real you try to make that world and the more you try and apply real world psychology to these characters, the more of a nutcase Bruce and other heroes begin to look.

It's different with someone gifted with godlike abilities like Superman. But for any street level hero, any kind of therapy that doesn't move them towards an end goal of giving up doing what they're doing seems absurd.
    Agreed.

I'm leery of the whole thing. I see it as just one more step toward mucking the whole genre into the pits of unnecessary realism. Either A) It's going to ruin a lot of characters by breaking them down instead of building it up.... or B) It's going to trivialize real-world issues with costumed characters. Either way I see this as a trainwreck right from the drawing board.

This series is why I read comics. I can't freaking wait.

Incredible Member

This idea doesn't resonate with me. I think King believes that just because he has a lot of emotional issues, he must write every character to be like him. And of course, issues are a normal thing in life, but not everybody develops suicidal tendencies or turns into psychopaths or sociopaths. King really destroyed Booster. I don't want him making that to other character, even if is someone I don't like or care for him/her.

I loved his Grayson (along with Seeley), his Omega Men (but choosing Kyle was weird) and his Darkseid War: Green Lantern one shot, but I couldn't stand how he writes Batman, and after dropping Detective Comics, the only bat-family title I have read since the last year has been Red Hood and the Outlaws (very good series). And I don't see his Mr. Miracle series as the most amazing story of the world or the year. I have developed a sense of rejection for his work.

BANNED

Another Crisis.... :/ Didio promised there wouldn't be a crisis after Final Crisis as long as he ruled the DC... lier...

BANNED

Why so serious?

And King,I dare you to write a happy,fun story just once
    Last edited by stephens2177; 06-14-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Ivy most certainly is not, not anymore. In fact, the latest Batman arc featuring her basically teased the entire concept of this event with Batman knowing she's not evil and needs help.
    How do they explain away all the people she's murdered?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    How do they explain away all the people she's murdered?
    They don't, but since she's legally insane that means she is incapable of understanding that those murders were wrong. Doesn't mean she should be running around free and clear, but with Amanda Waller holding her leash, she's more than capable of serving some role in Sanctuary given her psychiatric background.