Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Superman In "Heroes In Crisis" By Tom King and Clay Mann

"I feel a duty to talk about what violence does to a society through the comics I’m creating," says comic book writer Tom King.
    Being a superhero isn’t just about rescuing cats from trees and putting bad guys in jail — and a new series from DC Entertainment looks to explore the emotional cost of the job.

Following an appearance Tuesday on NBC’s Late Night With Seth Meyers by writer Tom King, the publisher has announced King's next project: the seven-issue Heroes in Crisis, illustrated by his Batman collaborator Clay Mann, with colors by Tomeu Morey and letters from Clayton Cowles. The series will delve into the Sanctuary concept King first mentioned in January — a trauma center for superheroes, founded by Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.

Heroes in Crisis, the title of which plays on the DC tradition of stories with the word “Crisis” in their name (Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour: Crisis in Time, Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis, to name just four), will trace what happens when Sanctuary fails to adequately provide for its patients and what happens in the aftermath. Described by DC as a murder mystery, the series will feature Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Harley Quinn and Booster Gold as lead characters.

“I feel like I’m part of a rolling generation of people who spent their twenties overseas fighting terrorism," King — a former CIA counterterrorism officer — said in a statement. "Millions of people cycle through that machine and come home to America. And I think that sort of experience of violence is shaping who we are as a culture, and as a country. And I want to talk about that. I want to talk about that experience, the experience of what violence can do to a person, to a community, to a nation, to a world."

He continued, "If I could do anything to the [DC universe], it would be to bring a sense of community of superheroes and people. I feel a duty to talk about what violence does to a society through the comics I’m creating.”
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...trauma-1119410

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

No cuffs on Superman, guess that went pretty quickly lol.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

That barn in the background...is that where Sanctuary is? Holy cow, did Clark repurpose the old Kent barn for this? Because that'd be pretty perfect.

Also glad to see Kite-Man in the crowd. And is that the Psycho Pirate's mask Superman's holding? Looks like those figures in white robes as well.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    And is that the Psycho Pirate's mask Superman's holding?
    I thought it was Anarky

Could indeed be Anarky. Maybe he commits suicide and its the spark that opens everyone's eyes to the mental illness aspect.

In any case, whether Anarky's mask or the Medusa Mask, this set up seems all-too familiar to me. It reminds me of Identity Crisis/Countdown to Infinite Crisis. The "grounded" tale so to speak that sets up the cosmic tale later. That it uses Crisis in the name at this point is far from coincidence.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-13-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

After this series is over can we stop having all the heroes being depressed and overcome with emotions they can't handle about tragedies that are created for this exact result

It's gonna look awesome though artwise

Fantastic Member

If you look closer, all the white-hooded figures are wearing similar masks. My guess is these are the "staff" of Sanctuary, and one of them has been killed.