Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Superman In "Heroes In Crisis" By Tom King and Clay Mann

"I feel a duty to talk about what violence does to a society through the comics I’m creating," says comic book writer Tom King.
    Being a superhero isn’t just about rescuing cats from trees and putting bad guys in jail — and a new series from DC Entertainment looks to explore the emotional cost of the job.

Following an appearance Tuesday on NBC’s Late Night With Seth Meyers by writer Tom King, the publisher has announced King's next project: the seven-issue Heroes in Crisis, illustrated by his Batman collaborator Clay Mann, with colors by Tomeu Morey and letters from Clayton Cowles. The series will delve into the Sanctuary concept King first mentioned in January — a trauma center for superheroes, founded by Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.

Heroes in Crisis, the title of which plays on the DC tradition of stories with the word “Crisis” in their name (Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour: Crisis in Time, Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis, to name just four), will trace what happens when Sanctuary fails to adequately provide for its patients and what happens in the aftermath. Described by DC as a murder mystery, the series will feature Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Harley Quinn and Booster Gold as lead characters.

“I feel like I’m part of a rolling generation of people who spent their twenties overseas fighting terrorism," King — a former CIA counterterrorism officer — said in a statement. "Millions of people cycle through that machine and come home to America. And I think that sort of experience of violence is shaping who we are as a culture, and as a country. And I want to talk about that. I want to talk about that experience, the experience of what violence can do to a person, to a community, to a nation, to a world."

He continued, "If I could do anything to the [DC universe], it would be to bring a sense of community of superheroes and people. I feel a duty to talk about what violence does to a society through the comics I’m creating.”
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...trauma-1119410

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

No cuffs on Superman, guess that went pretty quickly lol.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

That barn in the background...is that where Sanctuary is? Holy cow, did Clark repurpose the old Kent barn for this? Because that'd be pretty perfect.

Also glad to see Kite-Man in the crowd. And is that the Psycho Pirate's mask Superman's holding? Looks like those figures in white robes as well.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    And is that the Psycho Pirate's mask Superman's holding?
    I thought it was Anarky

Could indeed be Anarky. Maybe he commits suicide and its the spark that opens everyone's eyes to the mental illness aspect.

In any case, whether Anarky's mask or the Medusa Mask, this set up seems all-too familiar to me. It reminds me of Identity Crisis/Countdown to Infinite Crisis. The "grounded" tale so to speak that sets up the cosmic tale later. That it uses Crisis in the name at this point is far from coincidence.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-13-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

After this series is over can we stop having all the heroes being depressed and overcome with emotions they can't handle about tragedies that are created for this exact result

It's gonna look awesome though artwise

Fantastic Member

If you look closer, all the white-hooded figures are wearing similar masks. My guess is these are the "staff" of Sanctuary, and one of them has been killed.

Perhaps instead of staff, they're patients? The mask and robe get-up being for those whom wish to remain anonymous (outside their caretaker(s) at least) during their treatments? Thus it being a patient who died.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Yes! Yes!! F#%K YES to all this!!! I've been waiting for this to drop since King uttered the words, man. And now that I'm officially tearing up at pages 9 issues into Mister Miracle (could've have been the only one during the mirror scene, man), I'm beyond ready for this. Make me freakin happy-sad, Tom King! Let's freakin go!

And you're also telling me that Superman, written by Tom King, will be a main player in this comic while Snyder uses him and Lex in Justice League and Bendis shows no signs of not killing it in Superman and Action Comics with the character--that's what you're saying to me right now? I get to just live in that for like at least a year if not more?

.....man, stop lying
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I figured the collective response would be more like that. Granted, those serious faces are hilarious. But Tom King is one of the most insightful writers out there and it's plainly been designed to be the biggest and prettiest "event" in his wheelhouse.

Superman being important means I'll be buying at the very least.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I figured the collective response would be more like that. Granted, those serious faces are hilarious. But Tom King is one of the most insightful writers out there and it's plainly been designed to be the biggest and prettiest "event" in his wheelhouse.

Superman being important means I'll be buying at the very least.
    Something about Dan Didio still being at DC and that description is reminding me a lot of Identity Crisis in a bad way. I do hope this leads to a sunnier outlook for the DCU and isn't what Bleeding Cool was talking about with respects to splitting marriages (it'll end, assuming it's monthly, not even a year after the BatCat wedding). A lot of people are with their significant others except for Batman (who married Catwoman, viewed in the back), Superman (admittedly married in his secret identity) and Arthur (I guess she's busy being queen)? Dick, Carter, Ollie and Scott all have their SOs with them. Probably reading too much into it. I probably need a break from DC's news cycle.

I'm just getting sick and tired of Didio's mandate that heroes have to sacrifice to be heroes. It lands on my birthday, too! The Clay Mann art is going to be a welcome treat, though.

What really shocked me was Power Girl in the back there when Psycho Pirate seemingly died, reminding of Infinite Crisis, and Dick and Kory together (which isn't where DC is pushing him lately and will be really frustrating to read any comments about on Reddit).

While I actually align with Didio's feelings when it comes to marriage (and that's all it is, a feel, a personal ideal which is the furthest thing from a hard target fact on what does/does not work; its not the status that makes a character work or not work, its the quality of the product) what's going on now has been working. So I have a hard time seeing that being thrown out, even two years from now when I'm pretty sure the Fourth Crisis will hit.

I could, however, see said Crisis introduce a world or even more than one world where certain different things can be played with without being at the expense of Earth-0's status.

IOW, I truly don't think the people who love all the superhero marriages have anything to worry about.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-13-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Fantastic Member

So the heroes go to the nut farm bet dick kory and clark will be given a clean bill of health as for batman and his paramour I think not

Fantastic Member

I think most will be given a clean bill of health except for bruce selina and harley they know they are crazy they just know how to deal with it

I'll give it a shot.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven