Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

While Superman takes point of the trinity in this issue, this debut focuses much more on Harley and Booster, but there are two notable bits regarding him: one, along with being programmed by Batman with Wonder Woman's compassion, it's mentioned the Sanctuary androids have Superman's honor. Additionally - and I feel like this isn't really much of a spoiler, but it's a character moment that feels loaded enough I'll bracket it anyway - spoilers:
    Superman says that Sanctuary was built so 'they' would have a place to go to, before sharply correcting himself 'we'. Curious whether that means he isn't suffering in quite the same way as the others but is trying to force himself into that bit of human association and empathy, or, I expect more likely, he's in denial about his own issues but consciously or unconsciously keeping up a front. Interesting and very on-point articulation there of a bit of Superman's psychology, he's admitting to a vulnerability without even realizing he means it.
    end of spoilers Also, for whatever it's worth, King's Superman doesn't seem to have a super-memory.
    Buh-bye

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    spoilers:
    Honestly, I'd have preferred some more organically developed trauma for Clark...like empty nest syndrome or something spinning out Lois and Jon's absence (assuming this was set before Lois came back), than forcing this kind of event-specific trauma on him
    end of spoilers
    Where did you get that? No one said that's going Clark's trauma or what he talks about. I mean, I imagine it can/won't be because the interviews are before Sanctuary falls. So likely something more personal but also maybe not just about Jon or Lois either if at all.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 09-26-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Yeah, this isn't intended, I don't think, as any uniquely personal moment of trauma for Superman to play out within the story. Batman and Wonder Woman show up shortly after him and are shaken as well. He's just the first of the Trinity to get there because he's the fastest.

Frankly it would have made the MOST sense for Barry to get there first. But, the Trinity are basically like the leaders so plot dictates they're the first on the scene I guess.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

It's more so the fact that Sanctuary was created by and monitored by the trinity, so they'd get the call and not the League in full. Superman getting their first is also staying true to that speed chart because he's after than Wonder Woman and faster than the Bat-wing.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Ah, good point there in regards to them basically running the place. Forgot about that.

Its one reason why they should have actually shown Sanctuary in normal operation before this. Shown instances of Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman overseeing things. Showing instances of patients being treated. Showing the benefits of the place. Leaving its proper introduction here outside of name drops was a mistake.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I personally think having the place shown now in its full glory was the right call. That said, I do think they should have done some inconsequential patient interviews in the backs of books along with having more books do small shout outs to it before the event.

Part of the idea is that it's more or less a secret, and when the reader finds out about the place it sort of trips what the think and feel about their heroes upside down. That moment should 100% be saved for the event book and the exploration inside, but like 1 or 2 vague interviews a month or so out wouldn't have hurt. As it stands though, the issue got enough across so that it's neither jarring nor hard to follow. You even get the idea that this is Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman's place from the AI being made after them.

I think it would have had more of an impact for readers if they knew what the place was in practice beforehand. Seeing the good it does so it amplifies the tragedy of what happens later. Not just being told about what it is in mostly interview synopses and very brief blurbs in actual issues.

I get the idea of keeping it secret because it is a secret facility and all. I just don't think it was worth it in the fact that the opening issue is supposed to be a gut-punch. At the very least I would have considered putting out a special Sanctuary one-shot prelude introducing the facility there and showing it doing its thing showing how its helping these heroes.

In any case, also of note at the crime scene we see the destroyed pastiche androids representing Martha, Jonathan, and Lana. I think they're the "greeters" Superman talks of not seeing earlier.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-26-2018 at 11:44 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think it would have had more of an impact for readers if they knew what the place was in practice beforehand. Seeing the good it does so it amplifies the tragedy of what happens later. Not just being told about what it is in mostly interview synopses and very brief blurbs in actual issues.

I get the idea of keeping it secret because it is a secret facility and all. I just don't think it was worth it in the fact that the opening issue is supposed to be a gut-punch. At the very least I would have considered putting out a special Sanctuary one-shot prelude introducing the facility there and showing it doing its thing showing how its helping these heroes.

In any case, also of note at the crime scene we see the destroyed pastiche androids of Martha, Jonathan, and Lana. I think they're the "greeters" Superman talks of not seeing earlier.
    Yep, I saw someone say on twitter this would have worked better if it was the 2nd issue of the series and not the opening. I agree with that statement a lot, a issue introducing us to sanctuary and showing us how this is making things better could have stilled a sold a lot and would have helped ease fans into this.

I honestly think it would've been just the same, and the stinger at the end with Boster literally explaining the place, Wonder Woman explaining what puddlers are, and Superman's "we built this to help them" moment really sell the point of the place. As far as I can tell the rest of the event will be just as much a murder mystery as it will be an autopsy of the carcass that is Sanctuary. Because, in reality, whatever number of people died that day, you can add Sanctuary itself to the list. I don't think it's on accident that the place is deigned with a mind of sorts and anthropomorphize via the Superman robots.

King said that part of the point of the event would be asking the question if Sanctuary should continue to be a thing at all, and like most murder mysteries--keeping in mind Sanctuary as a place is partially anthropomorphize by its creators and the people treated there--you normally learn about the victim and who they were after the fact. That's what I think is partly the idea here.

This is actually where the addition of the extra issues come in because they are fleshing out the place even more postmortem. More or less Kings words not mine.

Edit: to be clear, not as in you should feel bad for the broken Superman robots or the AI, but rather through learning about the place after the fact you can see if it was a good or bad place. This being similar one of those Investigation Discovery murder shows where you learn about the person after the fact and part of the deal is building a picture in your mind as you go. Knowing about the place in full before would color our feelings one way or the other and kind of cut the legs from under the next 8 issues imo
    Last edited by Superlad93; 09-26-2018 at 12:35 PM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I honestly think it would've been just the same, and the stinger at the end with Boster literally explaining the place, Wonder Woman explaining what puddlers are, and Superman's "we built this to help them" moment really sell the point of the place. As far as I can tell the rest of the event will be just as much a murder mystery as it will be an autopsy of the carcass that is Sanctuary. Because, in reality, whatever number of people died that day, you can add Sanctuary itself to the list. I don't think it's on accident that the place is deigned with a mind of sorts and anthropomorphize via the Superman robots.

King said that part of the point of the event would be asking the question if Sanctuary should continue to be a thing at all, and like most murder mysteries--keeping in mind Sanctuary as a place is partially anthropomorphize by its creators and the people treated there--you normally learn about the victim and who they were after the fact. That's what I think is partly the idea here.

This is actually where the addition of the extra issues come in because they are fleshing out the place even more postmortem. More or less Kings words not mine.

Edit: to be clear, not as in you should feel bad for the broken Superman robots or the AI, but rather through learning about the place after the fact you can see if it was a good or bad place. This being similar one of those Investigation Discovery murder shows where you learn about the person after the fact and part of the deal is building a picture in your mind as you go. Knowing about the place in full before would color our feelings one way or the other and kind of cut the legs from under the next 8 issues imo
    I get that POV of how to take the issue, but it didn't come off that way for many to get settled in. Maybe in re-reads it will work better. I first Identity Crisis years after it was released and was able respond better to that story compared to readers who read it back when it was released for the first time. So maybe this will be similar in that way.

Good point. That's usually how mystery stories set in established continuities like comics get reacted to especially when a major new piece of information is dropped or expounded on in the opening of the event. I totally don't begrudge anyone for feeling differently on how it was handled.

In other news: anyone else see that dead GL when Mann was giving us that EXCEPTIONAL telescopic vision shot?

I honestly think the Sanctuary AI itself is either the killer or was a party to the killing. During an interview with Bendis recently King was hoping that sharp eyed readers wouldn't guess the killing in the first issue.

I'm guessing that either the aspects of the Trinity's personalities didn't mix well and that was exploited somehow, or someone hacked the AI. I'm also guessing this could do with whatever Batman his holding back (likely in the interest of doctor patient confidentiality or something of the sort). This would also explain how someone or something killed so many diverse heroes. Sanctuary uses holograms for its treatment along with detailed secrets about the heroes, and is made up of kryptonian tech. You do the math.

This could add to the questioning of if Sanctuary should be more than just a good idea in the back of the Trinity's minds. In any case, I'm sure this is the sort of thing that King would like us to be ruminating on between issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I honestly think the Sanctuary AI itself is either the killer or was a party to the killing. During an interview with Bendis recently King was hoping that sharp eyed readers wouldn't guess the killing in the first issue.

I'm guessing that either the aspects of the Trinity's personalities didn't mix well and that was exploited somehow, or someone hacked the AI. I'm also guessing this could do with whatever Batman his holding back (likely in the interest of doctor patient confidentiality or something of the sort). This would also explain how someone or something killed so many diverse heroes. Sanctuary uses holograms for its treatment along with detailed secrets about the heroes, and is made up of kryptonian tech. You do the math.

This could add to the questioning of if Sanctuary should be more than just a good idea in the back of the Trinity's minds. In any case, I'm sure this is the sort of thing that King would like us to be ruminating on between issues.
    Could certainly be Henshaw, but I doubt it. Though something tells me that "Puddlers" is also a likely clue.

And I'm sorry, but I can't help but think
    spoilers:
    Roy and Wally
    end of spoilers
    was Didio's idea..
    Last edited by JAK; 09-27-2018 at 12:31 AM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Also, for whatever it's worth, King's Superman doesn't seem to have a super-memory.
    That bit irked me initially, but then I set it aside as an aspect of the shock of what he was finding - like a temporary mental block/confusion.

With regards to the Puddlers...

Diana thinks it's in reference more to weapon-making. Removing impurities from the iron, sure, but her understanding is more for weapons - which works with regards to the basic idea of Sanctuary... that their treatment 'removes impurities' and sets the heroes (weapons) aright - but if it's more in reference to the Industrial Revolution element? The process allowed for high volumes of (high-grade) iron to be produced and there's a 'boom' in metas in the DCU and perhaps whoever is behind the Sanctuary-killings feels too many heroes spoil the broth or something...

Also, with Sanctuary being AI-based and puddling not being an automated process, perhaps it's a (small) reference to their needing to be more direct involvement (beyond Harley and Michael)?

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    That bit irked me initially, but then I set it aside as an aspect of the shock of what he was finding - like a temporary mental block/confusion.

With regards to the Puddlers...

Diana thinks it's in reference more to weapon-making. Removing impurities from the iron, sure, but her understanding is more for weapons - which works with regards to the basic idea of Sanctuary... that their treatment 'removes impurities' and sets the heroes (weapons) aright - but if it's more in reference to the Industrial Revolution element? The process allowed for high volumes of (high-grade) iron to be produced and there's a 'boom' in metas in the DCU and perhaps whoever is behind the Sanctuary-killings feels too many heroes spoil the broth or something...

Also, with Sanctuary being AI-based and puddling not being an automated process, perhaps it's a (small) reference to their needing to be more direct involvement (beyond Harley and Michael)?
    Good thoughts. Just thought of this, the masks make me think of Psycho Pirate. And his powers (via the mask) would certainly make this story interesting.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/