Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

Booster went crazy in King's Batman and that's why he's at Sanctuary in the first place.
    That was the beginning of the gross mischaracterization. King just had him show up nuts with no rhyme or reason except he needed him established as nearly insane for his plans for him in HiC. That's weak writing.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Yeah, man. I'm not surprised that I'm into this, but I'm pretty damn shocked with how good of a time I'm having with Doomsday Clock. These have been my favorite string of event books in maybe all of my time in comics.

Booster went crazy in King's Batman and that's why he's at Sanctuary in the first place.
    I've waited forever for another story like what we're getting in HiC, so I've been drooling for it since the original announcement. I'm a big tragedy guy, I love a good tragedy in a story and seeing how the good guys come out the other side. The superhero equivalent of a mass shooting, with the manhunt to follow? Yes. Take my money. It's one of the reasons Identity Crisis, warts and all, is one of my favorites.

Doomsday Clock I was a little apprehensive for at first. I don't hold Watchmen in quite the same regard as most here, and in fact I actually like the film version better (Director's Cut). But it's a classic, and any kind of in-continuity follow-up could have been a disaster. But Johns surprised me, and he's cranking out the epic of his career in my opinion. I may have to agree yet again, this may be the most I've looked forward to event books in quite some time, if not ever...

As far as Booster and his supposed crazyness goes, two things. First, he's clearly in shock in HiC. He doesn't know what to believe right now, and he's acting pretty in character for a guy who just survived a massive superhero tragedy. I'd have to go back & count, but the number of deaths here might rival Prime's murder spree back in Infinite Crisis, if this doesn't surpass that. Second, I didn't read the Batman story with Booster, but I have to assume that he had time adventures off panel between his last appearance in 'Action' and showing up in 'Batman', and who knows what he saw or experienced that led to him being "crazy". Maybe we'll find out, maybe we won't. But even if he literally left 'Action' and popped up in 'Batman' the very next day...as the author, King can write him any way he wants to. Not everyone has to dig it, but I'd hesitate to call something "lazy" just because I didn't care for it. It's all subjective though, so if it hits others that way that's totally cool. Just not how I prefer to look at things.

With all the hate HiC got today, I have to assume the threads will be pretty quiet next month. Surely those who hated #1 and inexplicably still read #2 won't bother with #3, right?

Right? Beuller? :P
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    I've waited forever for another story like what we're getting in HiC, so I've been drooling for it since the original announcement. I'm a big tragedy guy, I love a good tragedy in a story and seeing how the good guys come out the other side. The superhero equivalent of a mass shooting, with the manhunt to follow? Yes. Take my money. It's one of the reasons Identity Crisis, warts and all, is one of my favorites.

Doomsday Clock I was a little apprehensive for at first. I don't hold Watchmen in quite the same regard as most here, and in fact I actually like the film version better (Director's Cut). But it's a classic, and any kind of in-continuity follow-up could have been a disaster. But Johns surprised me, and he's cranking out the epic of his career in my opinion. I may have to agree yet again, this may be the most I've looked forward to event books in quite some time, if not ever...

As far as Booster and his supposed crazyness goes, two things. First, he's clearly in shock in HiC. He doesn't know what to believe right now, and he's acting pretty in character for a guy who just survived a massive superhero tragedy. I'd have to go back & count, but the number of deaths here might rival Prime's murder spree back in Infinite Crisis, if this doesn't surpass that. Second, I didn't read the Batman story with Booster, but I have to assume that he had time adventures off panel between his last appearance in 'Action' and showing up in 'Batman', and who knows what he saw or experienced that led to him being "crazy". Maybe we'll find out, maybe we won't. But even if he literally left 'Action' and popped up in 'Batman' the very next day...as the author, King can write him any way he wants to. Not everyone has to dig it, but I'd hesitate to call something "lazy" just because I didn't care for it. It's all subjective though, so if it hits others that way that's totally cool. Just not how I prefer to look at things.

With all the hate HiC got today, I have to assume the threads will be pretty quiet next month. Surely those who hated #1 and inexplicably still read #2 won't bother with #3, right?

Right? Beuller? :P
    Booster's adventure with Batman took a very dark turn and took place after his adventure with Superman, so this is why Booster is acting so crazy. He literally spent years being held prisoner and tortured by a Bruce Wayne in an apocalyptic world in which he never became Batman.

BANNED

The solicitation for issue three has changed

Tragedies deepen as more secrets behind the “superhero hospital” called Sanctuary are revealed! What compelled Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman to create it in the first place? How was it built? And if the hospital truly is alive via A.I., who – or what – is the brain of “Sanctuary?” Another layer peeled back in the biggest mystery woven through the entire DC Universe.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/11...gin-sanctuary/

BC believes the original solicit, which tells of Clark clashing with Booster, will be moved up to issue four

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Booster's adventure with Batman took a very dark turn and took place after his adventure with Superman, so this is why Booster is acting so crazy. He literally spent years being held prisoner and tortured by a Bruce Wayne in an apocalyptic world in which he never became Batman.
    Oh snap. Yeah, I'd say there's good reason here for Booster's actions then.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Booster was acting off well before the darker turns of the Batman story. He was out-of-character changing time as a "gift" to Bruce in the first place. So King was writing him as mentally unhinged before the change, and the dark events that eventually came with it, even took place. Booster protects against such reckless acts with time, he doesn't abuse it like that anymore. King's work with the character only works if this were still a New 52 scenario where characters were fairly new at their job, or Michael in specific was rebooted. With the history intact though, King has taken many unearned liberties with the characterization.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-01-2018 at 11:37 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Booster was acting off well before the darker turns of the Batman story. He was out-of-character changing time as a "gift" to Bruce in the first place. So King was writing him as mentally unhinged before the change even took place. Booster protects against such reckless acts with time, he doesn't abuse it like that anymore. King's work with the character only works if this were still a New 52 scenario where characters were fairly new at their job, or Michael in specific was rebooted. With the history intact though, King has taken many unearned liberties with the characterization.
    King's story relied on Booster being a bigger idiot then he's ever been depicted as in the comics prior to that story.

It was like he was taking a cartoon plot and then turning it into a serious, grimdark, story. It read like a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    King's story relied on Booster being a bigger idiot then he's ever been depicted as in the comics prior to that story.

It was like he was taking a cartoon plot and then turning it into a serious, grimdark, story. It read like a farce.
    I would agree that King was definitely playing with the more irresponsible and foolish Booster that we see in the JLI and Justice League cartoons than the more serious Booster that his creator Dan Jurgens generally writes. However, since I find that Booster to be dull as dirt and the Booster from the JLI and cartoons to be a delight, I don't really care

For any readers bothered by the inconsistency between Jurgens's Booster and most everyone else's Booster, remember that the timestream of the DCU is currently FUBARed beyond all recognition, which is where Booster spends most of his time. I don't think it would be outside the realm of possibility that the instabilities within the timestream have caused instabilities within Booster himself, thereby making him more like his fun incarnations and less like his serious Jurgens version that kept getting cancelled because...well, he wasn't very popular or interesting as a serious character.

Granted, your mileage may vary, but that explanation works for my continuity-obsessed nerd brain.

I'll wait for someone to deliver my No-Prize

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I would agree that King was definitely playing with the more irresponsible and foolish Booster that we see in the JLI and Justice League cartoons than the more serious Booster that his creator Dan Jurgens generally writes. However, since I find that Booster to be dull as dirt and the Booster from the JLI and cartoons to be a delight, I don't really care
    I've seen Booster in cartoons and in JLI with more common sense and knowledge of what you shouldn't do with time travel then King's Booster. At least there his personality was appropriate to the kind of stories being told.

"The Gift" came off like someone dared King to take a fun and optimistic character and then turn them into a crazy and depressing mess.

I think Jurgens' Booster had levity to him, it's just that his "Booster Gold" personality was more of an act to make people underestimate or think less of him as part of his job.
    For any readers bothered by the inconsistency between Jurgens's Booster and most everyone else's Booster, remember that the timestream of the DCU is currently FUBARed beyond all recognition, which is where Booster spends most of his time. I don't think it would be outside the realm of possibility that the instabilities within the timestream have caused instabilities within Booster himself, thereby making him more like his fun incarnations and less like his serious Jurgens version that kept getting cancelled because...well, he wasn't very popular or interesting as a serious character.
    I think the inconsistency is more between King's Booster and everyone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I've seen Booster in cartoons and in JLI with more common sense and knowledge of what you shouldn't do with time travel then King's Booster. At least there his personality was appropriate to the kind of stories being told.

"The Gift" came off like someone dared King to take a fun and optimistic character and then turn them into a crazy and depressing mess.

I think Jurgens' Booster had levity to him, it's just that his "Booster Gold" personality was more of an act to make people underestimate or think less of him as part of his job.

I think the inconsistency is more between King's Booster and everyone else's.
    Eh, different strokes, I guess. I didn't find King's Booster to be that much of a departure from the guy we saw in JLI, Justice League Unlimited and Justice League Action. Add being erased from history and rebooted a couple times to the mix, I think you've got a perfect recipe for the Booster who showed up at the start of The Gift, which I thought was a lot of fun.

Granted, like I said, I have always found Jurgens' Booster to be a colossal bore and, from the inability for that version to maintain a series, I don't think I am alone in that opinion. The concept for Booster Gold is one of the very best ideas for a superhero in decades, but the execution has generally been pretty lame. Whereas the more foolish Booster that wasn't written by Jurgens has been a lot more well received.

Empty is thy hand!

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    The solicitation for issue three has changed

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/11...gin-sanctuary/

BC believes the original solicit, which tells of Clark clashing with Booster, will be moved up to issue four
    OMAC attack!!!

DC loves to reboot and repeat themselves.

BANNED

Lois at the Kent's apartment

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqjClOynuLZ/

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Lois at the Kent's apartment

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqjClOynuLZ/
    So basically Lois and Clark's apartment is right across the street from the Daily Planet. Heh.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

BANNED

BC claiming that Wally was killed by spoilers:
    Harley and her mallet
    end of spoilers

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/11...-how-spoilers/

Not sure how much of this reveal will rely on unreliable narrative or not.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

BC claiming that Wally was killed by spoilers:
    Harley and her mallet
    end of spoilers

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/11...-how-spoilers/

Not sure how much of this reveal will rely on unreliable narrative or not.
    So, let me get this straight.The fastest speedster ever spoilers:
    was killed by psychotic villain with a mallet whose only power is popularity.
    end of spoilers

This is stupid.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-25-2018 at 09:17 AM.