Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    Agree.

I also want Iceman solo but it would be better if Iceman would be able to lead his own X-team just like X-Men Red. hint! hint! Northstar...

After all, his powers are omega level.
    Man, "Yes" and "No".

While I'd be for it on paper, I don't know that I want the title to have to take the blame for one more team in a bigger picture that isn't exactly on solid ground finally taking a fall.

Should that happen, I get the feeling folks would put the blame somewhere that it would not actually belong.

Astonishing Member

I just learned about Iceman's solo getting uncancelled, and with the same writer back in the helm.

All of my yes to this!

Grace's Iceman solo really was a gem to behold. It was actually moving Bobby's character along in ways he hadn't been in literal years (that honestly felt like decades). Not just character development, but actually character progression. I eagerly await for the writer to continue on from where he left off, and hope the plots and other characters he set up will continue to play off as scheduled.

After what felt like Grace having been done dirty with Iceman getting canned so unceremoniously like it was, to having to deal with the unseemly "forelash" the cancellation spawned (a lot of ugliness was shown in the wake of the news), I am extremely happy about this turn of events! Probable my favorite comic news in a little while.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bishop66 View Post
    ill give this is a shot mainly because of bishop but i pray we get no inhuman trash in this book people dont want to believe it but that was one of the primary reasons the first voulme failed miserably
    Oh, please don't start with that Inhuman hating mess.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Sina's last volume of Iceman had some missteps, but overall I thought it was a good story.

Hopefully he's learned and this next volume will be an improvement.
    I had no issue with the last volume and loved it as much as the first. I don't think he needs to "learn" anything; just keep doing what he's been, and hopefully Marvel won't pull the plug of a rug under his feet abruptly again.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Oh, please don't start with that Inhuman hating mess.
    Let alone that the idea that the first volume "Failed Miserably" seems kinda wonky.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    I didn't really find Bobby as stereotypical flamboyant gay so much as I saw him as, "That older guy who always imitates what seems hip and new to today's youth," which is pretty keeping with his character. It isn't like he was going around with feather boas with bright pink belly shirts saying stuff like, "Giiiiiirl! You would NOT believe the makeup and shoe sales I got down on!"
    More or less how I saw it, too, and it fits with Bobby's whole "finding himself" theme. It's just the way he tended to go about it, but of itself, I didn't see anything wrong or false about it, and he definitely wasn't coming off as over-the-top to me as he did for some.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    It was too personal and unbalanced. like you said there was a lot with his family...which happens, but it felt shoehorned because of how often he was with his parents (after really not seeing them for like 20 years) His other relationships/friendships were kind of tossed aside. It honestly felt like Bobby had A.D.D. because he couldn't focus on one thing at a time unless it was Daken. "but the Champions were there" and they barely said or did anything together. Angel tried to have a heart to heart with him and he got up and left midway through.
    On this, while I didn't have an issue or even really notice, I don't think it was anything malicious on Bobby's part. With that said, given it a thought, I could see where some might have taken issue to the that. Even as a solo, with a lot going, there can only be so much room. In a more stable environment, perhaps there could have been more room, for example, for the heart-to-heart to have lasted longer, though that in itself would have likely led to more of those who felt there wasn't enough superhero action to feel that way even more (on which I firmly disagree, as I felt the book had plenty of superhero action).

It's a balancing act, but unfortunately, not everyone can be totally satisfied, as too much of A and not enough B and vise versa may never be able to be balanced for some, no matter how you try to skew the ratios. It kind of reminds me of something recent I found out regarding Miles Morales: Spider-Man's YA novel by Jason Reynolds. I haven't gotten the chance to read it yet, but from what I've gathered, that book has a number of different plot lines going on that eventually converge, but the focus is on Miles as a teenager. The Spider-Man is still there and still important, but the Miles is what the book apparently focuses on. Most who praise the book seem to praise this aspect, but I've seen those who feel the opposite, including one who normally prefers that kind of superhero book.. At the end of the day, it has to be what it is based on what the writer is writing.

Still, for what the previous run did for Bobby's character, I loved the book we got, and that's what I wish to see more of. And maybe more of him using his cool, evolving powers! Definitely more of that!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Yes & Yes.

Hoping with Bishop & Kitty there's a bit more of a balance. Who buys a superhero comic to read about going on dates? Regardless if they're gay or straight.
    I would imagine it's not as far fetched a notion as you imply, really. Anyway, superhero or not, that part of Bobby's life was important to his character development and progression, and I also feel, once again, that you exaggerate the lack of superheroing in the book done by Bobby (and others, but mostly Bobby).

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Let alone that the idea that the first volume "Failed Miserably" seems kinda wonky.
    That definitely reeked of personal weaving personal hatred to create personal and inaccurate head-canons.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 06-16-2018 at 03:04 AM.

I honestly didn't mind the first Iceman run at least issues 1-5 was awesome, the rest wasnt great by any means, but the best parts were involving Iceman and his family a scenario that's been done before back in Uncanny X-Men 319, I still have that issue in my possession.

And while it does tread in familiar ground, with Iceman trying to make his parents accept him for who he is, it is still done very well. One of the things I credit the Iceman series for doing was doing a better job at trying to make Iceman accept his sexuality, which was done so poorly both with Young Iceman and with his older self when it came out. One of the main gripes I had with the whole 'Iceman being gay' was how they presented the situation, that being 'I am gay let's move on like nothing happened', it felt insulting, having a friend who is gay and reads X-Men he called that shit out for how bad and lazy it was, but one thing we both agree on is how well they tried to fix that in the Iceman stand alone comics. Which is why I am thankful we have these things.

Of course once the whole relationship with the parents thing was finished the books did sort of lose stream for me, the problem is not that Iceman is boring, in fact he is one of my favourites. But it's the ability of other writers to try to make him interesting when he is so used to being the background clown.

I try and think of moments in X-Men when Iceman stood out, take for example Iceman when he was forced to realise the lengths of how great his powers were after Emma Frost took control of him, or Operation: Zero Tolerance when Iceman was more or less the main hero in that, standing his own. If Sina Grace can capture Iceman well enough in this light then its all well and good. The key is trying to make Iceman stand out on his own. And as much as I didn't mind the Iceman run in 2017, its main flaws were that it really struggled to to make Iceman be interesting and even be worthy of a solo series.

They already have a good personal backdrop with Iceman. And that's a great foundation, what I want Sina to do is build on that, build around it. Give him a a foil, give him some story-arcs that show Icemans potential as someone who can stand on his own all the while building to a revelation for him.

Last edited by Orby; 06-16-2018 at 06:35 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    Agree. Daken is bi-sexual so he'll probably end up with another X-girl probably Dani.

It's about time that Dani got a stable boyfriend, her romantic flirt with Cannonball was too short.

Daken-Dani rhymes.
    She went out with Agent Justin Pierce. I really liked him

Johnny Storm should (finally) come out as bi and they can date.

Daken might make some sloppy seconds comment about that. Lol

BANNED

Who is Iceman's arch enemy and will Human Torch and Spider MSN be regular guest stars this time?

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Daken stabbed bobby's boyfriend, no no no no no no to daken
    Yes yes yes yes to Daken as a reward for ridding Bobby of that LA basic.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Who is Iceman's arch enemy and will Human Torch and Spider MSN be regular guest stars this time?
    Hopefully Peter (and Angelica) turn up for at least one issue.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Someone other than Kitty. If she ain't coming out the closet, I don't care for her taking up panel space. Also:

-Bobby being more of a teacher (can we get more stories of him and his class???)

-Bobby helping a student come out

-And issue surrounding LGBT+ solidarity (like NewMutant said, a night out with LGBT+ mutants)

-An 'Amazing Friends' reunion

-A Confrontation w/ Mystique

-Ms. Frost? Miss Frost???
    More like a field team trainer?

Rockslide, Pixie, Anole, maybe Hindsight and Morph?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnito View Post
    This is fantastic news. I'm super excited. I hope the naysayers get over it (and themselves). I don't get angry when Marvel publishes yet another book I don't care for. Someone was probably wanting it. So let those of us who are happy have this and I'm sure you'll get something you like too at some point.
    Many naysayers will, but there will always be those who can't see past their own entitlement and parrot their rhetoric to the end of time. At the end of the day, though, only the paying customers matter in terms of the series lasting.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)