Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Default Thor #1 Spoilers

- So after the preview, Juggernaut insults Thor some more before punching him off the cliff while Thor's internal monologue whines about him being the "worst Thor ever". Thor has Screwbeard (ugh) send him a hammer that he immediately breaks on Juggernaut's helmet. Then he has Screwbeard send all the hammers and uses them to electrocute the cultists and clobbers Juggernaut while yelling about being the "god of #%#%#%# thunder" (ugh) before quickly running away. Notably Aaron completely ignores the fact Cain killed Cyttorak and gained all his powers in Amazing X-Men, and reduces him to just being Cyttorak's avatar again. Also once again Aaron makes Thor useless without a hammer.

- Thor returns the Warlock's Eye to Old Asgard and tells Screwbeard that all the hammers broke (which wasn't depicted clearly at all) and he needs more. Apparently Asgard is almost completely out of Uru and the Bifrost still isn't operational so they are cut off from the rest of the realms (if only Thor remembered the many teleporters he knows). Thor then talks to his dad, who has gone from a misogynistic strawman to a sadsack depressed about Freyja dumping him.

- Thor goes to the Bronx where the rest of the refugees from Asgardia are living and talks to Jane, who is the one getting tips on Asgardian artifacts sightings for him, before going to see his mom. Freyja asks after Loki and tells Thor not to think too badly of him just because he literally stabbed her in the back (apparently everybody has forgotten about the whole murdering Kid Loki thing since it never comes up and they only ever talk about his crimes against Freyja). Thor gets pissed and goes to get the Gem of Infinite Suns from the Antarctic Sea and fights Namor for a page.

- Thor now lives on a crappy little boat filled with weapons and old boxes of fried chicken in the Newark Harbor. He finds Loki drinking his last beer and they fight before Loki tells him he's there to help and that he can transport him to the other Realms for a price Loki will tell him later. Before Thor decides to agree or not, Loki starts transporting him anyway but Thor grabs Loki and drags him along. They end up in Hel where Balder and Skurge meet them.

- The back-up story is Old King Thor fighting a Space Shark before going to visit Lady Jane of New Midgard as she dies and he tells her there is no afterlife anymore. Then he finds out the universe is dying and travels to the furthest corners of it before getting blasted by somebody. Who? Old Wolverine wielding the Phoenix Force, asking if he brought beer. (Because that's just what any Aaron story needs, more Wolverine wank.)

This issue was filled with dumb, out-of-place humor, ignorance of continuity and just plain bad writing. And the art is terrible in my opinion.

Wow, unsurprisingly my reaction was entirely contrary. I will post a synopsis tomorrow. All I will say right now is I had a permanent smile on my face from cover to cover.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Wow, unsurprisingly my reaction was entirely contrary. I will post a synopsis tomorrow. All I will say right now is I had a permanent smile on my face from cover to cover.
    Same here. Looking forward to your write-up.

All-New Member

I totally agree. I loved it. Aaron's run on THOR: GOD OF THUNDER was amazing, and I dug Jane's arc with the hammer. This feels like a modern, slightly jaded-but-optimistic and righteously angry Thor, ready to take on all challengers!

I loved it. the final page was admittedly 'WTF?' but other than that, I absolutely adored it. It was fun, it feels like there is forward momentum again, Loki seems to finally be stepping out of the 'playing bad guy' role, it set up some interesting situations, the family drama ranged from sweet to sad, the brother squabble/brawl was great, Del Mundo's art is gorgeous, he is a perfect fit for the book. So yeah, really liked it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    - So after the preview, Juggernaut insults Thor some more before punching him off the cliff while Thor's internal monologue whines about him being the "worst Thor ever". Thor has Screwbeard (ugh) send him a hammer that he immediately breaks on Juggernaut's helmet. Then he has Screwbeard send all the hammers and uses them to electrocute the cultists and clobbers Juggernaut while yelling about being the "god of #%#%#%# thunder" (ugh) before quickly running away. Notably Aaron completely ignores the fact Cain killed Cyttorak and gained all his powers in Amazing X-Men, and reduces him to just being Cyttorak's avatar again. Also once again Aaron makes Thor useless without a hammer.

- Thor returns the Warlock's Eye to Old Asgard and tells Screwbeard that all the hammers broke (which wasn't depicted clearly at all) and he needs more. Apparently Asgard is almost completely out of Uru and the Bifrost still isn't operational so they are cut off from the rest of the realms (if only Thor remembered the many teleporters he knows). Thor then talks to his dad, who has gone from a misogynistic strawman to a sadsack depressed about Freyja dumping him.

- Thor goes to the Bronx where the rest of the refugees from Asgardia are living and talks to Jane, who is the one getting tips on Asgardian artifacts sightings for him, before going to see his mom. Freyja asks after Loki and tells Thor not to think too badly of him just because he literally stabbed her in the back (apparently everybody has forgotten about the whole murdering Kid Loki thing since it never comes up and they only ever talk about his crimes against Freyja). Thor gets pissed and goes to get the Gem of Infinite Suns from the Antarctic Sea and fights Namor for a page.

- Thor now lives on a crappy little boat filled with weapons and old boxes of fried chicken in the Newark Harbor. He finds Loki drinking his last beer and they fight before Loki tells him he's there to help and that he can transport him to the other Realms for a price Loki will tell him later. Before Thor decides to agree or not, Loki starts transporting him anyway but Thor grabs Loki and drags him along. They end up in Hel where Balder and Skurge meet them.

- The back-up story is Old King Thor fighting a Space Shark before going to visit Lady Jane of New Midgard as she dies and he tells her there is no afterlife anymore. Then he finds out the universe is dying and travels to the furthest corners of it before getting blasted by somebody. Who? Old Wolverine wielding the Phoenix Force, asking if he brought beer. (Because that's just what any Aaron story needs, more Wolverine wank.)

This issue was filled with dumb, out-of-place humor, ignorance of continuity and just plain bad writing. And the art is terrible in my opinion.
    Not imo impressed by this start, will keep an eye on the title but it didn't change my view on Aaron's Thor

art did not work at all fir me, I found it very messy and somewhat indisctint
    Last edited by kilderkin; 06-13-2018 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post

I only liked the stuff with Loki and Thor.

anything else was a joke.
    we didn't expect anything less from you, Mr. Mac

Yeah, i'm dropping this. It was bad. I was excited for Juggernaut but it was underwhelming. I'm not even gonna talk about Cosmic Phoenix Wolverine...

This was Awful my god Aaron has written Thor like trash before but this was something else how anybody can like this is beyond me.

The awful parts
    -Thor and everyone going on and on about the hammer
    -"I am the worst Thor ever", "hello bloodshed", it's like Jason Aaron just watched Ragnarok and decided that the personality transplant Thor got there was the best thing ever, so he had to copy it. It reads terribly and doesn't sound like Thor.
    - Cain Marko defeated Cytorakk and isn't interested in serving him or helping him take over the world
    - "maybe they'll give the woman back her job" shut up Aaron, I'm tired of your commentary
    - Thor being so pathetic against juggernaut without his hammer, atleast show him putting up a fight even if you want him to lose, stop portraying him as a stupid joke
    - "the god of ******** thunder" like I said this doesn't sound like Thor, it sounds like Benjamin grim or Guido is fighting
    - so wait, Freyja works so hard to make sure loki becomes the monster of old, then suddenly changes and acts like... Urgh, nevermind
    -Thor living in a trashy boat
    -Huh, there's no afterlife? But Aaron that's been proven wrong. Even if not the Norse afterlife, there are different places in the marvel universe that a should goes after death. Oh well.
    -urgh, wolverine Phoenix. Yuck.

Great
    -Screw beard is awesome
    -I loved the scene with Thor and Jane talking
    -ros Solomon is back
    -Volstagg is getting bettter
    -loki and Thor reunion is awesome. But I see that Aaron continues to ignore the kid loki saga. Oh well, Freyja is still a hood cause of discord between them.
    -Balder and Freaking skurge (of course, Aaron has to cash in on Ragnarok, watch him write Skurge as an idiot to match the movie version)
    - I found old Thor with the dying woman a good read
    - always a delight to see the ladies of Thunder
    - old thors predicament of the universe dying after he brought earth to life

I don't understand where people are saying he is ignoring the Kid Loki stuff. I really don't. I am a massive fan of everything Gillen did with the character, and I am not seeing it being ignored here. On the contrary, Aaron has gone out of his way to reference it on several occasions. I mean, he brought in Thori, for crying out loud. What exactly is he ignoring, there? Is it supposed to be brought up explicitly every time he appears or something? Kid Loki is WHY Thor is so angry with him right now, the Freyja thing was just icing on the cake, he was mad at him before that. It's pretty clear Loki is putting on an act as part of some deep cover/double agent scheme that makes him seem worse than he really is, something Freyja seems to get now that she's cooled down some, but Thor doesn't. There's several things pointing to that in this issue, nevermind the previous issues.
    Last edited by Raye; 06-13-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I don't understand where people are saying he is ignoring the Kid Loki stuff. I really don't. I mean, he brought in Thori, for crying out loud. What exactly is he ignoring, there? Is it supposed to be brought up explicitly every time he appears or something? It's pretty clear Loki is putting on an act that makes him seem worse than he really is, there's several things pointing to that in this issue, nevermind the previous issues. Kid Loki is WHY Thor is so angry with him right now, the Freyja thing was just icing on the cake, he was mad at him before that.
    When has Aaron ever acknowledged that Thor is angry at Loki for the murder of Kid Loki? Because I don't recall him ever doing so, it's always about the Freyja incident in Aaron's work. He even refused to acknowledge everything that happened between Loki and Freyja in Ewing's run and had them suddenly be working together with little problems until Loki stabbed her to save her.

He may not have directly referenced it, but he was mad at Loki before he ever did anything to Freyja, it was a clear continuation of the ending of Agent of Asgard. I mean of course he's going to mention what he did to her *while talking to Freyja* because it's something that directly affected her. It's also probably a case of referencing the thing most readers of the current book would be aware of, considering Agent of Asgard had a much lower readership than Thor did. But Aaron has definitely made references to the previous stuff, at times when it wasn't even strictly needed. Did Thor really NEED a talking dog sidekick? not really. But Thori was brought back because clearly Aaron liked that story. And it will probably become relevant later when Thor finds out that Thori betrayed Kid Loki and left him for dead. Is he going to be a hypocrite and forgive Thori but not Loki for basically the same thing, or forgive (or not) them both?

the Odin and Freyja characterizations, I will grant you, (though, technically it was Ewing who was handling them out of character there. Aaron is in charge of the flagship book, he should be steering the ship there, like it or not) but Loki was consistent, as long as you picked up on the clues that he was playing bad guy rather than genuinely being evil again. And even with Freyja... I think he's just going with the idea that she reacts in an extreme way, and then cools down a bit later and forgives him. Lots of people act that way. I mean she was SUPER mad with him when he talked to her last, but now she's worried about him not long after. that just seems to be her thing with him. Which would actually make it consistent with how Agent of Asgard ended. What we saw in the early issues of Thor was her after she cooled down.
    Last edited by Raye; 06-13-2018 at 01:57 PM.

Mighty Member

I agree with you, Reye. Also when you are dealing with characters with such long and intertwined histories it's impossible to reference everything all the time. By that logic they shouldn't even be on speaking terms or one of them should be dead, based on all the shared violence and malice between them. You can always pick from many, many stories with these long running characters and be upset they are not referenced, if you want. Applying the sliding timescale (everything counts, but not all at once) and a certain amount of amnesia on the part of the readers and characters makes for a more enjoyable reading experience, personally. Everything is the Biggest Thing Ever, this month, and next month it fades away partially or completely for the New REALLY Biggest Thing Ever Since Last Month.

I unsurprisingly loved the issue. I think if you have enjoyed the run thus far you'll most likely like it, and if you haven't you probably won't. The tone has shifted a bit, a little lighter and more humor, which makes sense to me since we are on the upswing part of Odinson's worthiness arc. He's pulling himself back up, which will be welcome to some readers. It's also possible there's some movie synergy at work, which makes sense because the movie got great reviews (only one percentage behind The Dark Knight, which I found surprising). Having Jane in the book is a huge plus to me, and I really enjoyed their interaction. The whole dynamic has changed and I can't wait to see more from them. I'm glad they are on good terms, I would like to see this deepen and strengthen their relationship in the long run.

Not having Dauterman is a bummer, as he really defined the Mighty Thor look to me. Del Mundo is a pretty divisive artist, I usually hear that people love or hate his style, with little in between. He's a personal favorite, and I think he's perfectly suited to this kind of book, especially if Odinson is going to be going to tons of different realms and dimensions.

I'd just like to point out the murder's row of artists this book has had... Coipel, Dauterman and Del Mundo back to back is reminiscent of Ruth, Gehrig and Meusel.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I don't understand where people are saying he is ignoring the Kid Loki stuff. I really don't. I am a massive fan of everything Gillen did with the character, and I am not seeing it being ignored here. On the contrary, Aaron has gone out of his way to reference it on several occasions. I mean, he brought in Thori, for crying out loud. What exactly is he ignoring, there? Is it supposed to be brought up explicitly every time he appears or something? Kid Loki is WHY Thor is so angry with him right now, the Freyja thing was just icing on the cake, he was mad at him before that. It's pretty clear Loki is putting on an act as part of some deep cover/double agent scheme that makes him seem worse than he really is, something Freyja seems to get now that she's cooled down some, but Thor doesn't. There's several things pointing to that in this issue, nevermind the previous issues.
    I agree totally, but I think part of the problem is what happened in the Loki Agent of Asgard run. Personally, I would love to strike the entire run apart from the first couple of issues and part of the last issue from continuity. The attitude of the All Mother in that story was entirely left-field for my tastes. It made no logical sense to me and only served to push Loki away. Maybe Aaron feels the same. He certainly never referred to Loki as God of Stories in his run.

Gillen’s Loki remains one of my favourite comic characters of all time and I don’t really see Aaron’s version as contradicting that story.