Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    From his brothers is the same as saying based entirely on his position. He is a patriarchal monarch.

Are you some kind of radical anti-writer? Everything happens in a story so that story can work, that isn’t a negative thing. Some things are not revealed straight away some are.
    And some things never are, which is a shame if they are necessary for the reader make sense of what is happening.

And no, that's not based on his position. It's genetics. The only position it's based on is the one use by his mother and father.

Anti-writer. LOL Arch-villain in the epic maxi-series CRISIS IN INFINITE PLOTS
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    And some things never are, which is a shame if they are necessary for the reader make sense of what is happening.

And no, that's not based on his position. It's genetics. The only position it's based on is the one use by his mother and father.
    I am going to assume from that wink that you do get where I am coming from. But to really nail it with a simple question, do you believe Odin is actually the All-Father in this story?

Extraordinary Member

I am going to assume from that wink that you do get where I am coming from. But to really nail it with a simple question, do you believe Odin is actually the All-Father in this story?
    Actually the wink is to communicate that I'm talking about when Odin's father and mother had sex.

And as for him being All-Father... Jane said he was.

jane odin.jpg

But whatever you call him, the Odin Force had never been shown to depend on what title Odin holds. Balder doesn't inherit it when he is legally crowned King [twice].

The Odin-Force is a literal deus ex machina. It can do whatever the writer says it can. Problems do arise when it can do something sometimes [like move 5 billion people out of dimensional phase] and then not other times.

A line as simple as Odin was recovering from the battle with Mangog and/or the Black Bifrost was acting to interfere with his abilities would solve the issue quite simply. But the reader shouldn't have to do the writers job for him/her.
    Last edited by brettc1; 06-15-2018 at 05:31 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

The very fact it can do anything is exactly why any story in which he is a significant character he has to be depowered or otherwise dealt with. Odin is effectively a pain in the neck for any writer.

There is clear precedent that the Odin Force is transferred to whomesoever is the All-Father. So when Odin abdicated, left the realm and locked the door behind him, to go sit and play chess with Cul in Old Asgard, he also handed over the right to wield the Odin Force. How can he get it back? Well unless he can reclaim the crown he can go whistle.

I don’t even need to do the usual recap of everything that hints this. We have Odin and Thor talking about whether or not his enchantments held in this very issue. They did, but the fact this is even a question speaks volumes.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 06-15-2018 at 06:02 AM.

Extraordinary Member

The very fact it can do anything is exactly why any story in which he is a significant character he has to be depowered or otherwise dealt with. Odin is effectively a pain in the neck for any writer.

There is clear precedent that the Odin Force is transferred to whomesoever is the All-Father. So when Odin abdicated, left the realm and locked the door behind him, to go sit and play chess with Cul in Old Asgard, he also handed over the right to wield the Odin Force. How can he get it back? Well unless he can reclaim the crown he can go whistle.

I don’t even need to do the usual recap of everything that hints this. We have Odin and Thor talking about whether or not his enchantments held in this very issue. They did, but the fact this is even a question speaks volumes.
    If there is a clear precedent, you'll have to tall me what it is. The only time I am aware of it happening is when Odin has actively willed it so, or is dead, or both.

The fact there was a question could merely be a nod to the fact that lesser Uru is not as good as holding enchantments.

Edit - in fact it was shown in the Simonson run that imbuing even a pure uru object with enchantments that last permanently is no easy thing.

Last edited by brettc1; 06-15-2018 at 06:32 AM.

I took it as the Uru impurity was the problem, as we know Uru takes a particular shine to magic and Asgardian magic in particular.

And as for him being All-Father... Jane said he was.

jane odin.jpg
    in other words, women are better than men.

hooray girl powaaa!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post

hooray girl powaaa!!!!
    The raging insecurity of some male Thor fans is really something.

As a male myself, my confidence in my gender can withstand some critical comments without completely withering or perceiving them as an actual attack.

hooray girl powaaa!!!!
    Sure that’s exactly what Jason Aaron thinks. Have we transported ourselves back to the 1940s? I didn’t get the memo.

You realise surely that the “down with the patriarchy line” was a joke specifically aimed at this kind of response. JA already said all there is to say in that very issue.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 06-15-2018 at 07:01 AM.

If there is a clear precedent, you'll have to tall me what it is. The only time I am aware of it happening is when Odin has actively willed it so, or is dead, or both.

The fact there was a question could merely be a nod to the fact that lesser Uru is not as good as holding enchantments.

Edit - in fact it was shown in the Simonson run that imbuing even a pure uru object with enchantments that last permanently is no easy thing.

Simonson started the whole thing. No point using him to deny it. He was the first writer to cement this idea of monarchal patriarchal transfer of this all-powerful force.

Extraordinary Member

hooray girl powaaa!!!!
    No, I don't think so. I can how it might be read that way, but I believe the intention was that Freyja would do a better job.

Extraordinary Member

Simonson started the whole thing. No point using him to deny it. He was the first writer to cement this idea of monarchal patriarchal transfer of this all-powerful force.
    On DEATH!

You're saying a lot but I'm not seeing any evidence. Give me a scan. Hell, give me an issue number and I'll go look it up myself.

I believe it is in Thor #354 that Thor says "The Odin-force has not returned to Asgard." as evidence Odin was not dead. So if that's what your citing, you are arguing against your own point.

I mean, how would Odin have even kept Cul imprisoned without the Odin-power? And nobody else has been seen to use it. It's a nice theory but it lacks empirical evidence to support it.
    Last edited by brettc1; 06-15-2018 at 07:17 AM.

damn, you really guys took my seriously

Extraordinary Member

damn, you really guys took my seriously
    you need to put in a winky, man.

Edit - and hey, I wouldn't necessarily blame you for going there. Aaron does put in quite a bit of subtle [and at times not so subtle] 'boys am dumb' subtext.
    Last edited by brettc1; 06-15-2018 at 07:26 AM.

I still remember Titania...