Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    Because the Jarnbjorn is more or less a very simple and non-versatile weapon. It chops and that's it. It wasn't seen as downgraded, but it wasn't cutting down a domed and uncuttable Juggernaut. For that, Thor felt like he needed something with a little more impact. Not that those hammers did any better, and arguably worse. Escept for the last hammer I guess.
    Why Odin don't put the spells on Jarnbjorn? Is made of Uru, can hurt Celestials,a flight spell plus one to make it return to Thor would made it better that Mjolnir.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    did you do this as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQxDIDLBmFQ

20:25
    I downloaded it from Amazon to my device, so no. Didn't like the issue but I'm not willing to lose a device over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Why Odin don't put the spells on Jarnbjorn? Is made of Uru, can hurt Celestials,a flight spell plus one to make it return to Thor would made it better that Mjolnir.
    Probably because it's already been enchanted and stuff and for some reason it can't be again. I assume at least. Nobody ever suggests it one way or the other with any weapons that aren't hammers for some reason. I just assume it can't be done or won't be as effective.

However, I assume reasons Thor might prefer a hammer are familiarity and the more "heroic" nature the hammer can offer. Axes don't just render people unconscious, it just chops them up.

But yeah. If Odin could just re-enchant Jarnbjorn (and I guess catch another Mother Storm) with all the attributes of Mjolnir (sans the worthiness but making it ONLY his son) then it would be a much deadlier weapon than Mjolnir for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Returning reader...
    Nice and reflective analysis. I will answer a couple of points.

What I didn't like
    - Jarnborne: This axe can slay celestials. Why is it looked as such a downgraded weapon?
    I didn’t get that impression. It just doesn’t help when you have been punched over a cliff or have inconsistent access to your storm powers and need a focus.

Mjolnir: So what happened to it? Its stuck in a star somewhere?
    Although some will argue it isn’t, I think it is pretty clear that Aaron has written the story to suggest that it has been destroyed in the sun.

This is why I came up with my time-loop theory. If it’s gone forever then maybe Thor can get it back if his original was accidentally swapped with King Thor’s identical one when he visited the future. Link to my diagram

The Bee: Ribic is one of my favorite artists so I pick up just about any cover he does. Is there any significance to Thor staring down the bee?
    Not that I know. I need to check out this cover. I have yet to see it.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 06-14-2018 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I cannot stand hammers anymore, Mjolnir especially.

Jarnbjorn is way more badass and it should return to Thor when he throws it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I downloaded it from Amazon to my device, so no. Didn't like the issue but I'm not willing to lose a device over it.
    Haha good

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Nice and reflective analysis. I will answer a couple of points.

I didn’t get that impression. It just doesn’t help when you have been punched over a cliff or have inconsistent access to your storm powers and need a focus.

Although some will argue it isn’t, I think it is pretty clear that Aaron has written the story to suggest that it has been destroyed in the sun.

This is why I came up with my time-loop theory. If it’s gone forever then maybe Thor can get it back if his original was accidentally swapped with King Thor’s identical one when he visited the future. Link to my diagram

Not that I know. I need to check out this cover. I have yet to see it.
    While I don't agree it has, it was STRONGLY suggested since Thor described it as the "Death of Mjolnir."

Probably because it's already been enchanted and stuff and for some reason it can't be again. I assume at least. Nobody ever suggests it one way or the other with any weapons that aren't hammers for some reason. I just assume it can't be done or won't be as effective.

However, I assume reasons Thor might prefer a hammer are familiarity and the more "heroic" nature the hammer can offer. Axes don't just render people unconscious, it just chops them up.

But yeah. If Odin could just re-enchant Jarnbjorn (and I guess catch another Mother Storm) with all the attributes of Mjolnir (sans the worthiness but making it ONLY his son) then it would be a much deadlier weapon than Mjolnir for the most part.
    Plus there is a thousands of years old real world association between Thor and his hammer. When some suggest he isn’t the god of hammers or shouldn’t be so obsessed with them all I can think is ‘but he’s Thor! You know, the god with the hammer!’

Plus there is a thousands of years old real world association between Thor and his hammer. When some suggest he isn’t the god of hammers or shouldn’t be so obsessed with them all I can think is ‘but he’s Thor! You know, the god with the hammer!’
    Yeah. The hammer is pretty darned iconic to any incarnation of Thor. (Let me get ahead of this where people are going to say, "SO IS BEING A DUDE!" He's also reknown for being red-headed, a cheater, a violent murderer, and a cross dresser. So I think we can let the gender/mantle thing slide.)

Mjolnir is just a big as part of the Thor myth as the Iron Man armor is to Iron Man, or the web shooter to Spider-Man, or the batarang/batmobile to Batman. It would be like them running around as Professor Stark the guy with a lab coat and a pocket full of devices, Spider-Man the guy with organic web production (heehee), or Batman the guy who ubers his way across town.

While I don't agree it has, it was STRONGLY suggested since Thor described it as the "Death of Mjolnir."
    Exactly, plus the release of the Tempest, and the fragment of Mjölnir. Generally we would dismiss such ideas as fake-outs but we saw Thor go to the future and wield both Mjölnirs at once. It is a simple thing to say they got swapped and it would have everyone trying to get the idea straight in their head. Hence the diagram. It’s the kind of crazy idea that is tailor-made for comics.

Yeah. The hammer is pretty darned iconic to any incarnation of Thor. (Let me get ahead of this where people are going to say, "SO IS BEING A DUDE!" He's also reknown for being red-headed, a cheater, a violent murderer, and a cross dresser. So I think we can let the gender/mantle thing slide.)
    At one point I was convinced that the crossdressing story was going to be an element of Aaron’s run. I guess we can only say ‘not yet’ but it seems unlikely now.

Exactly, plus the release of the Tempest, and the fragment of Mjölnir. Generally we would dismiss such ideas as fake-outs but we saw Thor go to the future and wield both Mjölnirs at once. It is a simple thing to say they got swapped and it would have everyone trying to get the idea straight in their head. Hence the diagram. It’s the kind of crazy idea that is tailor-made for comics.
    At one point I was convinced that the crossdressing story was going to be an element of Aaron’s run. I guess we can only say ‘not yet’ but it seems unlikely now.
    Your time idea is a pretty interesting and good one, and sort of fit in the wacky nature of comics with the whole winky eyed, "Don't think about it too hard," concept. I'd definitely prefer it to an alternate reality Mjolnir, and probably is just short of as likely as a reforged Mjolnir.

Unless Mjolnir is "rescued" from the sun and put up in an intergalactic auction in which Thor must dress as a woman to get in without being recognized? It isn't gonna happen.

I wanted to add that if Mjolnir is reforged, Thor wrestles up another Mother Storm (or the same one) who fully accepts him as the "true wielder" or whatever and that explains why he seems to "talk" to Mjolnir as the All-father.
    Last edited by Skedatz; 06-14-2018 at 02:15 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Sending Mangog away has just never seemed to work.

But using some of Odin's arsenal might've been worthwhile. But once they do that it becomes a question of why haven't they ever done that and why not do it again?
    They used the Destoyer, supposedly their greatest weapon. But when the writer says you lose, there's no winning.
    Last edited by brettc1; 06-14-2018 at 02:47 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    First off, traveling between realms is not the same thing as simple teleportation. We are not talking about simply traveling over great distances, we are talking about traveling to other worlds existing in their own little pocket dimensions. It seems logical to me that it would be a lot more difficult to access them than simple teleportation would allow. If it was that simple to travel between realms, why would they even have the Bifrost in the first place? They've always used the Bifrost, why would it not be necessary now? While it may be true that a few of them may be able to travel between realms without it, like Loki, apparently. (Though I suspect he was actually remotely tapping into the Dark Bifrost) I really don't think it would be a simple matter in terms of Asgardians in general.
    Okay, so they can get from a Earth to Asgard easily enough, so they must be in the same dimension.

And in previous stories you can WALK from Asgard to Nidavellir.

I think the confusion comes from using the MCU concept of Bifrost. Before that in the comics it was only needed to get to Asgard proper, and the n from there you could get anywhere.

And in fact, when we first saw it Svartalfheim could be accessed from Earth.
    Last edited by brettc1; 06-14-2018 at 02:44 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Okay, so they can get from a Earth to Asgard easily enough, so they must be in the same dimension.

I think the confusion comes from using the MCU concept of Bifrost. Before that in the comics it was only needed to get to Asgard.

And in fact, when we forest saw it Svartalfheim could be accessed from Earth.
    This is a big inconsistency accross the comics over the years. The kind of thing I never really worry about but I understand some get very focused on. It has pretty much settled into the realms being on separate plains now. More like the tree diagram than the more flat diagram. But of course the maps we saw in the war suggest it isn’t one realm per reality like in the movies.

Old Asgard was positioned by Thor and we saw Mangog traveling in space between it and the solar system so we can probably assume it is in the same plane. At least since Odinson put it there. It used to be on a separate plane as referenced in Fear Itself.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 06-14-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post

I think the confusion comes from using the MCU concept of Bifrost. Before that in the comics it was only needed to get to Asgard proper, and the n from there you could get anywhere.

And in fact, when we first saw it Svartalfheim could be accessed from Earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Sif, for one, has always been able to travel between worlds, taking others if need be.
    Yes, her "goddess born powers of time and space" she used to travel from Earth to Asgard when Surtur smashed the Bifrost.