Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Hawkman #1 (Spoilers)

Just finished reading it. Really solid start. I think it checks off all of the boxes that Hawkman fans have been longing for for a long time now, with the possible exception of prominently featuring Hawkgirl as well (not that I was expecting that here anyway, though).

Just a short-list of what I'm talking about:

• Hawkman's established as an explorer and adventurer, both on the panel and in his words.
    • He has a respect and admiration for history and life that would likely come to one with his pedigree and experience.
    • He's shown to be a capable warrior, hesitant to enter a skirmish but all-in once the decision is made.
    • He's as thoughtful and analytical outside of battle as he's ever been shown as being. This rendition of Carter is by no means a "Savage" or the Injustice caricature thug that's been pushed off on readers in recent years.
    • A nice Silver Age nod in the form of the issue's one-off antagonist.
    • Finally--and this is the big one, I think--his past lives, both those of fictional character Carter Hall of that of comic book character Hawkman, are all being folded in to one, it looks like.

On that last one: in other words, Carter and Katar are one in the same, the former's past lives spanning not just time, as the book itself reads, but also space. And how this cycle began and the impending doom it seems to spell for Earth is going to be the thrust of this first arc apparently.

So yeah, I really enjoyed it. I feel like this could, could be the spark that Hawkman's been waiting for as a character since Gray and Palmiotti finished their run with the character. It really felt like the start to a triple-A book to me; like Bendis's run on Daredevil, for example. Venditti clearly did his homework coming in; he figured out who Hawkman is and what he needs to be successful, and he wrapped all that cachet and mystique up in an entertaining story that finally moves the narrative forward.

Also, a note on Hitch's art: while it didn't completely blow me away, I thought it worked very well for the issue, especially during the back-half featuring Xanadu. I also enjoyed his commentary in the DC Nation this week, speaking about Hawkman's likely approach to battle and how that insight shaped Hitch's approach to drawing the character. I believe it's further proof that Venditti and Hitch both have a great handle on Hawkman.

Anyhoo, it's great. Highly recommended for fans and newcomers alike. It's not just a good start to a new Hawkman series, but a darn good issue in general.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Fantastic Member

Yeah, I think this issue is great. Hawkman may finally get a good solo series again.

Very solid first issue and looks very promising. I really enjoyed the Indiana Jones vibe. I also thought the wings being able to fold In and out of his harness was a very practical and neat addition. Looking forward to where Venditti will take us.
    Last edited by Jekyll; 06-13-2018 at 12:18 PM.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Always Rakzo

Thought this was a decent start. The narration at the beginning lacked personality and was too on the nose but after that the book became better at developing an interesting mystery concerning Carter's past and future.

Hitch did a fine job as well. Pure set-up but got the job done.

Astonishing Member

I will certainly give this a try.

I hope to see most of Hawkman's golden-age foes revitalized sooner than later.

Good start. Glad to see Xanadu back in the DCU too. Boy, does Hitch draw her looking fine.

Reincarnation through Time & Space is the most logical way to fix his timeline, there are a huge number of civilizations that are indistinguishable from a Human. Reincarnation through space & Time is what I feel should have happened to all Golden Age Heroes from COIE

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Good start. Glad to see Xanadu back in the DCU too. Boy, does Hitch draw her looking fine.
    Was not expecting her either! Hitch's art was perfect for this as well.

I can't say I'm super familiar with Hawkman but I was happy with this issue and I think I'll be following the series going forward.

I really liked this and am looking forward to the next issue.

And, yeah, it was great seeing Madame Xanadu again!

A very solid and fun first issue. This is the Hawkman I've been waiting for! I love the reincarnation through time and space, it opens up so many past lives stories. Or future lives. Or.... whatever! If the quality remains like this, I'm in for the foreseeable future.

The Son of Suns Clairaudient Freedom Soldier's Avatar

Who's your favorite incarnation/variant of Hawkman, compeers?
    Take a couple of minutes and check out this new comic book, friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...no-more-crises

This wasn't bad, it has me intrigued. But there was like no lead in even though Metal happen rather recently.

All-New Member

Has this been solicited as a mini (8-12 issues) or an ongoing?
    Really did like this first issue!

This actually helps rectify the biggest long-running problem with modern Hawkman...Carter and Katar being two different people but awfuuullllyyy similar.

Always hated the 90's Hawk-God-Avatar fix since mashup heroes always feel contrived.

I like this solution a LOT!

Glad to hear it was good. I was up in the air about this one and wanted to see what people thought. Planning on giving this a try now.