Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Clairaudient Freedom Soldier View Post
    Who's your favorite incarnation/variant of Hawkman, compeers?
    Silver Age Katar Hol, who I feel remains the most influential rendition of the character to this day, origin notwithstanding. But I never liked him at the expense of Carter Hall, and I think the solution Venditti is angling towards here--merging them into one cohesive character--is the optimal one at this point.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Spectacular Member

I've never sought out a Hawkman comic before, but this looks promising to me as a newcomer. Following off of Metal, with the appearance of Daniel Hall, does anyone think we'll see that lineage explored a bit more? Let's say Danial interacting with his grandfather per se?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clairaudient Freedom Soldier View Post
    Who's your favorite incarnation/variant of Hawkman, compeers?
    Golden-age Carter Hall.

More relatable.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm so stoked to read this. Haven't gotten my copy in hand yet, but I have Sejic's super awesome cover waiting for me.

I really enjoyed this issue. Venditti did a good job of dealing with Hawkman’s convoluted history. I found after very likable and Hitch’s art was great. And a giant winded rampaging gorilla golem! That’s just comic book awesomeness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetragrammar View Post
    I've never sought out a Hawkman comic before, but this looks promising to me as a newcomer. Following off of Metal, with the appearance of Daniel Hall, does anyone think we'll see that lineage explored a bit more? Let's say Danial interacting with his grandfather per se?
    Forgot about the fact that Daniel is a Hall.

So now Katar and Carter are indeed one and the same?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    So now Katar and Carter are indeed one and the same?
    Yup, the big twist of the series seems to be that Hawkman has been reincarnated over and over again across time and space, meaning that he's had incarnations of himself on Krypton, Rann, Thanagar and elsewhere. Presumably, this means that he's also had at least two reincarnations that co-existed at the same time, which now appears to be the case with Carter Hall and Katar Hol.

Strange that there's no mention of Hawkgirl in any of this. Hopefully, she continues to be a major part of the Hawk mythos.

Basically it's like in the JL cartoon, where they combined the Egyptian/Thanagar origins into one.

Spectacular Member

I was impressed with this issue. I really liked the more down-to-earth Carter Hall that was presented here -- a huge improvement over the angst-ridden joke that was the New 52 Hawkman.

I think the reincarnation across space and time thing is a good way to sweep the twisted and convoluted continuity of the past under the rug. Just sort of forget about it (after this initial storyline) and move on. I can live with that. I can live with the archaeologist instead of the space-cop too, even though Silver Age Katar Hol has always been my favorite Hawkman.

The script was tight and the art was amazing. I will keep following this title and hope that they don't mess it up this time.

Pretty cool issue. Hitch's art was perfect for the book and I also like where Venditti is going. I don't love that he is making Carter connected to every major area of the DCU, but the possibility of incorporating all the past Hawkman versions is great
    Loved to see Xanadu again, she should be in JLD again

I do have to notice how there wasn't even a mention of Hawkgirl. I know this is Carter's story, but given how much Kendra was involved in his return, it's weird to not adress their relationship.

Is Venditti on an exclusive contract? Between this and his work on Hal and the GLC he should be!

Very promising start, I liked how Carter was remorseful about destroying the golem because it was a piece of history, last few years I think they have gone overboard with the bloodthirsty barbarian type for Carter.
    This felt like the beginning of a grand adventure and I'm eagerly awaiting the next issue.
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

The Son of Suns Clairaudient Freedom Soldier's Avatar

My favorite incarnation is HawkBolt (Hawkman / Blackbolt), a character is an instant icon when he or she captures your imagination with only one appearance.
    Take a couple of minutes and check out this new comic book, friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...no-more-crises

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WTNew View Post
    I was impressed with this issue. I really liked the more down-to-earth Carter Hall that was presented here -- a huge improvement over the angst-ridden joke that was the New 52 Hawkman.

I think the reincarnation across space and time thing is a good way to sweep the twisted and convoluted continuity of the past under the rug. Just sort of forget about it (after this initial storyline) and move on. I can live with that. I can live with the archaeologist instead of the space-cop too, even though Silver Age Katar Hol has always been my favorite Hawkman.

The script was tight and the art was amazing. I will keep following this title and hope that they don't mess it up this time.
    I too like the down-to-earth Carter Hall; I preferred the archaeologist. I think him exploring the weird world of DC earth should be fun. (For example, the winged 3-eyed gorilla golem seen in this issue.)

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Pretty cool issue. Hitch's art was perfect for the book and I also like where Venditti is going. I don't love that he is making Carter connected to every major area of the DCU, but the possibility of incorporating all the past Hawkman versions is great
    Loved to see Xanadu again, she should be in JLD again

I do have to notice how there wasn't even a mention of Hawkgirl. I know this is Carter's story, but given how much Kendra was involved in his return, it's weird to not adress their relationship.
    I hoping their will be little to no mention of her or others for a while. I'd like to see him develop on his own.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I really enjoyed this! I can't wait to read more. Most excited I've been about Hawkman in awhile.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Solid first issue and excited to see what happens next. It feels good to have Hawkman in my pull list again!

The retcon just acknowledging that Katar was another life in the cycle genuinely works better. I really like the idea that the GA Carter was revived while his wife reincarnated and now they're a cycle off. I wonder if that's going to be where Venditti goes with this?

The Hawketeer was a fun easter egg.

Hitch's art was on-point here, even though I'm not crazy about how he draws Hawkman's helmet, I do like his idea regarding retracting wings.