Default Crossovers Anyone?

Hi All,

I started a thread of the same name yesterday in the "Classic Comics and Collected Editions" forum. It appeared at the time that there was nowhere else that was appropriate. I just noticed a thread in the "CBR Community Q&A and Announcements" forum where someone started a thread titled, "Is it possible to get a general comics forum?". It was explained that THIS forum is actually for general comics discussion...so, here I am!

I'm new to the new forums...pretty awesome!

I'm Jerry Hopfer from Johnstown, PA and have an unusual genre in which I collect...20th century intercompany crossovers. There are usually different ideas and definitions for intercompany crossovers...so, my definition is: A comic book in which two or more characters from two or more universes (publishers) appear within the same storyline. It must be a legal crossover. In other words, the appearance of the characters within the story must have been agreed upon by all parties who own rights to those characters.

This can easily be verified in the indicia of the publication. If it is not, it may be mentioned elsewhere in the book as a special “Thank you” by the publisher to the people who agreed to allow their character(s) to be used.

I'm not sure how to kick off this thread other than by asking...is there anyone else out there that collects intercompany crossovers also?

I have every one that I know of...but am always looking for anything I may have missed along the way. So far, I have identified (again...just 20th century) 342 intercompany crossovers, 218 alternate covers, 22 trade paperbacks, 12 non-ashcan previews, 9 non-ashcan preview alternate covers, 11 ashcans, 2 ashcan alternate covers, 6 reprints, 2 paperbacks and 1 hardcover...625 intercompany crossover books altogether.

Does anyone want to discuss in this area? I hope I hear from you!

Yours in Crossovers!

Which ones do you have? Which were your favourite? Any cool, obscure ones we may not know about?

At the risk of tooting my own horn, I've started a blog-project to identify what are (in my opinion) the one hundred best crossovers in all media.

Here's the rationale with which I began the series, which has reached #41.

However, I'm not finding all that many that "intercompany" types, aside from Marvel/DC stuff, or the occasional franchises like Tarzan and Predator. Is that what you mean?

Thank you Spike-X and ouroboros for commenting on the thread! I hope I answer your questions. First...ourboros. The articles you referred me to were very interesting. Mostly, they seemed to deal with non-comic book crossovers. My collection is 20th century intercompany crossover comic books, alternate covers, ashcans, previews, etc. The only mention (that I noticed) in those two articles was to All Star Comics #3. I cover this historic comic in my nearly completed book. The working title is Crossover Crazy! A Guide to 20th Century Intercompany Comic Books, Cards, Posters and More.

You refer to the DC/Marvel intercompany crossovers (most of which I love), but also refer to Tarzan Versus Predator from 1996, which was an intracompany crossover, in that both Tarzan and Predator were published by the same company (Dark Horse) at that time. My definition is strictly intercompany...two or more separate publishers whose characters are involved in a single issue or miniseries. If you're not finding many non-DC/Marvel intercompany crossovers...look at Deathmate, Devil's Reign, WildC.A.T.s/X-Men, Vampirella/Shi, Crow/Razor and many other mega-series. Batman was in 53 intercompany crossovers...33 of them non-DC/Marvel. TMNT were in 23 intercompany crossovers, Vampy 19, Savage Dragon 28, Shi 20 and Razor 25. There is no lack of non-DC/Marvel intercompany crossovers.

Spike-X...My favorite intercompany crossover (as far as a combination of story and art) was Batman/Captain America. Incredible Hulk/Superman, Spider-Man and Batman and Marvel Treasury Edition Superman and Spider-Man #28 are my runners-up. My favorite intercompany crossover cover is Spider-Man and Batman. I also love the cover for Lethargic Comics #12...which my wife loathes! Brinke of Disaster from 6/96 was the WORST intercompany crossover cover!

As far as obscure...I have Pow! Biff! Pops!, a little known DC/Marvel crossover (6 known copies). Even more rare (but less valuable) is Crow/Razor Kill the Pain #0, red velvet cover with silver embossing. There were 50 printed. 48 were destroyed and I received one copy and Everette Hartsoe (creator of Razor) kept one. He has no idea what ever happened to his copy. I can tell the entire story on that...if anyone is interested.

Hopefully, I answered some questions. Again, thank both of you for your interest. I hope to hear from both of you again...and others!

Yours in Crossovers!
    Last edited by Crossoverking; 01-08-2015 at 10:30 PM.

As mentioned in my first post, I originally started this thread in the "Classic Comics and Collected Editions" forum but found that this was the more appropriate forum for this thread. That being said, I thought I'd transfer the last three posts from there that are not here, so that everything is in one place. So...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01-07-2015, 06:39 AM

borntohula

"I'm not specified in it like you, but I might as well suggest Judge Dredd (if you haven't already checked those).

Judge Dredd Vs Aliens, Vs Predator, Vs Batman, Vs Mars attacks and Vs Lobo.

Perhaps something of interest?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01-07-2015, 07:04 AM

Batmil

"I have the complete first 13 issue Amalgam set (with Super-Soldier, Legends of the Dark Claw etc) from somewhere around 96/97, the four issue miniseries JLA/Avengers and some random Marvel/DC crossover issues which I have yet to complete (the versus series and all access). I also have the first two trades of the Crossover Classic series. Though the stories are generally bad written (with the exception of JLA/Avengers, because: JLA/Avengers) they're still fun to collect and have a nice 'what if' feeling to them."

"None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me.."

01-07-2015, 04:08 PM

Crossoverking
    Newbie Member

"Thanks to both of you for replying! I have all of the 20th century Judge Dredd intercompany crossovers. The DC Vs Marvel 4 part series is what got me back into comics. Prior to those, I hadn't bought a comic since 1970!

For those interested, I also collect 20th century intercompany trading cards and promo cards, promo and retail posters and misc. intercompany crossover "stuff." What household is complete without a Batman/Judge Dredd Mobile, Superman/Madman cut out dolls or a Lobo/Mask mask?!?"

So, now...I guess one forum thread has crossed over with another!

I hope to hear from other members interested in talking about intercompany crossovers!

Yours in Crossovers!

Fantastic Member

The 1991 Comic Relief Comic, released in the UK, includes a ridiculous number of authorised crossovers in a single story. As well as Marve and DC characters appearing alongside one another, you've also got Robocop, the TMNT, the Doctor (Doctor Who) and many of his foes and companions, Dan Dare, characters from DC Thomson's Beano and Dandy comics, Blackadder and Judge Dredd.
    http://thecaptainbritainblog.files.w...-comic-671.jpg

Hey Loki!

Thank you for your input. The ONLY reason I don't count that book in my collection is...it is internationally, published and distributed in the UK. It IS indeed an awesome crossover!

I have limited my collection to books published in North America and distributed in the USA. There are more than a few reasons for this. If I count UK...I would have to count Italian comics, German comics, French, etc. Someone may argue that I could count internationally published and distributed intercompany crossovers that are printed in the English language. Regardless of how it is broken down, researching...with the goal of identifying every intercompany crossover in history in North America (which is probably 99% United States has been a thousands-of-hours project as it is.

Hopefully (if I find a publisher for my book), it will be understood that my coverage is of (mainly) USA comic books.

I do salivate when I see some of the panels of that book! Thank you for sharing your knowledge!!!

Yours in Crossovers!

Fantastic Member AnimalSquabbles's Avatar

I LOVE CROSSOVERS!! I've always been fascinated by fighting. When i first got into comics as a kid, i would only get hero vs hero issues. My view is that when a hero fights a villain, you know the hero is going to win... But when 2 heros or 2 villains fight eachother you dont know who is going to win and it's more interesting. It's also seeing 2 characters not familar with eachother interact and see how their strengths match up against the other.

I have nearly every crossover that i know of. Infact, i have such a hefty collection of crossovers, alot of which people didnt know ever took place, that i felt burdened to share my knowledge with the community. I started a youtube channel to do crossover reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ComicBattleReviews

I've done 3 so far, been on a bit of a hiatus though. It takes alot of time/work to do and i dont gain anything from it really.

Hey AnimalSquabbles!

Thank you for writing in the thread! I always love to see the words, "I LOVE CROSSOVERS!!" Your videos are VERY good. I see you're not just into intercompany crossovers, but also intracompany crossovers as well. You must have quite a collection. My favorite video review (of the ones you did) was the Batman/Predator review. Batman/Predator is among my favorite intercompany crossovers!

I hope to hear back from you. I think there is a broad enough audience of intercompany crossover fans to have a long-running thread.

Yours in Crossovers!

This web site may be relevant to your interests.
    You can find a bunch of books I wrote stories for here. The weekly column is here.

Thank you! There is an awful lot to read and digest at that site. I tried to late at night and it made my brain hurt! I'll look it over more thoroughly soon.

Are there any questions or comments on intercompany crossovers? Comment on your favorites, least favorites, favorite covers, seies, one-shots.

Hope to hear from anyone regarding intercompany crossover comics, cards, poster, misc.!

Yours in Crossovers!

Astonishing Member

I thought of some I'd like to see. Dc's Freedom Fighters and The Original Guardians of The Galaxy. Also I'd like to see Voyager, Janeway and her Crew team up with Tv's Super Girl. Also a crossover with Super Girl, Janeway and Buffy. Super girl's powers could be on the fritz or something. Big Borg vs Vampire conflict in Sunnyvale? Maybe.

I'd like to see:

FREDDY KRUEGER VS. THE CENOBITES

JAMES BOND MEETS THE (BRITISH) AVENGERS